What's new

choosing a ht system? (1 Viewer)

Adam_mmm

Agent
It seems everyone has brand names that they associate with quality. I would consider myself a newbie, yet willing to pay for quality. Sound quality is very important to me especially at high decibels. My question is if I am on a 2000 budget should I mix and match different components or is there a 6.1 package system that is worthy of this price tag? I recently moved into a new house that is prewired for a Dolby 6.1 package (actually everything except the center channel speaker), yet I have not even started to tackle the decision making process of ht and television to accompany it. I will ask about the television at another time, but for know I am interested in audio. All advice is welcome.Thanks

Agustin

Agent
well my modest opinion is try to get a separate amplifier, 5 or 6 speakers for the sound, and a SVS Subwoofer

NicholasL

Second Unit
For $2000 you would be much better of getting seperate components rather than a HTIB. And yes, alot for an SVS subwoofer, and atleast $500 for your receiver. You could even go further and set aside 10% ($200) for the looked-over expense: cabling.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I'll recommend Polk and Paradigm for the speakers. As for the receiver, I like Harman Kardon. Other brands to consider are Onkyo, Denon, Marantz,Pioneer, Yamaha and outlaw.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Adam with your budget you will have a lot of options. My suggestion is to listen to a lot of systems and decide the type of sound that you prefer. This will help narrow your options, perhaps considerably.

Personally I am a supporter of the Internet companies, especially in the speaker area. While it might seem hard to audition their products, most of them will allow 30 day trials, where you pay the shipping if you don’t like the products. Even better, most of them also have informal networks of satisfied customers who will demonstrate their products in their homes. While it won’t be your home, you can get a very good idea of a system in real-life conditions in one of these sessions.

I would recommend Ascend, Axiom (I have not heard their speakers—this is reputation only) and AV123 (Rockets) for starters as companies to consider, along with the subwoofers of Adire Audio, Hsu and SVS.

Here is an example of what you can get for $2,000 (with some options).

AV123 has a package for their
ELT system That consists of a very fine center channel, four satellites and a 200 watt subwoofer for $900. They will add a Denon 1804 receiver to this for another $350, totaling $1,250. You can add another pair of satellites for another $250 and you are now at $1,500, leaving a goodly amount for a DVD player. Actually $250 will put in into a very fine DVD player, totaling $1,750.

If you choose not to spend the entire $500 on a DVD player, you could choose to upgrade the sub (the package is $200 less, minus the sub), perhaps getting their UFW-10 (normally $600 but if you are getting their whole package, you could get a deal).

The guys there are very knowledgeable and helpful and will have a lot more suggestions than I gave you, depending on your needs. Call Sean, Steve or Greg and see what they will do.

I have heard this system and it is outstanding for the money. And very fine looking cherry-stained, birch wood cabinets.

If you don’t care for their look or sound, check out an Ascend/Hsu package or an Axiom/SVS or mix any of these subs and speakers. You are bound to find one right for you and within your budget.

The search is half the fun. Good luck.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well here is my suggestion:

Reciever: Harman/Kardon AVR-525. HK has just come out with there new x30 lineup so this reciever shouldn't be more than maybe $450 or so... It delivers alot of power and the features are unbelieveable. Check that out, and I wouldn't go with anyone else. HK may seem a little under when you see there power ratings but trust me, unless you spend $1000 or more on another company HK has the best amps. Everyone else will rate there recievers at the 1KHz mark which will usually yield a nice amount of power but in reality a reciever like Yamaha that might be rated 85watts will only deliver about 35-40 watts of true power.. marketing for ya. Bummer...

Now for speakers... the biggie. I personally love Klipsch. It is said you either hate Klipsch sound or you love it. Klipsch is unusual because no other company offers a sound quite like it. It is somewhat bright but it is at the same time warm and reaches deeper freq.'s very well. I would take a look at all Klipsch has to offer, but ignore there subwoofers because....

You want an SVS for those earth shattering effects and punching bass for music.... look around for your options. I would recommend no more than $500 for a reciever, $1350 for speakers, and then about $150 for wires, connectors.

The subwoofer alone will probably run you about $350 so in reality only $1000 for speakers, but you will be able to find plenty for that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks