What's new

Choices for in wall/ceiling speakers for Atmos please (1 Viewer)

olddog

Agent
Real Name
james
I am building a new home and need some in-wall/celing speakers for Atmos on a Denon X3300W. Celings are catherdral style so at a slant. Been looking at the Polk 70RT,-Micca M series,-and the Klipsh R 5650, Klipish CDT-5650 (I like the way the speakers can be swivled as the celing is at a pitch) , Polk RC 80I (this one is the one of choice at the moment due to quality and price)
Thanks for any input.
Room 25X30

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You can aim all you want but the reflections on a cathedral ceiling are gonna make it weird. Trust me, I am the king of making rooms that shouldnt work as well as the do listenable, but just be prepared for this going in.

I personally am a huge fan of Paradigm, and they have a few models where you can aim the tweeter too.

olddog

Agent
Real Name
james
So I am limited to just using my TV speakers or a sound bar? The celings on the HT room are slanted on one side as the peak break starts going down to the open kitchen. Max peak height 12' speaker height left 8' both over seating and rear-right 15% SLANT- 10' same. front and celing speakers 12' spacing.

Found some RSL C34E speakers. Never heard of them before but the way they are built looks like they can go a long way to overcome some of the issues.

Last edited:

mudfrog

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I would think the best option is an enclosed satellite that can be mounted pointing straight down. My living room has cathedral ceilings and if I ever go to atmos in there, it would need to be something along those lines.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So I am limited to just using my TV speakers or a sound bar? The celings on the HT room are slanted on one side as the peak break starts going down to the open kitchen. Max peak height 12' speaker height left 8' both over seating and rear-right 15% SLANT- 10' same. front and celing speakers 12' spacing.

Found some RSL C34E speakers. Never heard of them before but the way they are built looks like they can go a long way to overcome some of the issues.
As others have stated, cathedral ceilings and Atmos generally don't play well together. FWIW, I use the RSL C34E's and am very pleased with them in my room with a standard flat 8 ft ceiling.

chucksrt

Auditioning
Real Name
charles
i have the same type ceiling in my greatroom and i bought Klipsch Quintet speakers to mount to the ceiling using swivel bases. not up or running yet but they were the only thing i thought would work on my ceiling.

ChucksterMania

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Colquitt
i have the same type ceiling in my greatroom and i bought Klipsch Quintet speakers to mount to the ceiling using swivel bases. not up or running yet but they were the only thing i thought would work on my ceiling.

It's now 1 1/2 months later. Have you installed teh Klipsch Quintet speakers yet?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My situation is I may have to move into an apartment so in wall speakers are out and not interested in reflecting speakers. So my solution is bookshelf speakers pointing straight down from the ceiling. And since apartments would have a tantrum mounting anything I would put together a self supporting frame that could be taken apart that would have the bookshelf speakers mounted to that. But in a situation with cathedral ceilings IMHO the best thing to do is have bookshelf speakers aimed downward!

ChucksterMania

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Colquitt
My situation is I may have to move into an apartment so in wall speakers are out and not interested in reflecting speakers. So my solution is bookshelf speakers pointing straight down from the ceiling. And since apartments would have a tantrum mounting anything I would put together a self supporting frame that could be taken apart that would have the bookshelf speakers mounted to that. But in a situation with cathedral ceilings IMHO the best thing to do is have bookshelf speakers aimed downward!

Take a look at this link and see where he talks about aiming ceiling speakers. It doesn’t appear to me they should be pointed straight down. Im trying to understand this also.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/dolby-atmos-dispersion-requirements-for-ceiling-speakers/

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well not absolutely aimed straight down but aimed at the listening area! Thank you for the article ChucksterMania.

ChucksterMania

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck Colquitt
Well not absolutely aimed straight down but aimed at the listening area! Thank you for the article ChucksterMania.
You are welcome. I’m installing speakers in my sloped ceiling this weekend. I purchased some that are fully adjustable. Hoping/expecting them to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks