What's new

Atmos 5.1.4 Ceiling Speaker location (1 Viewer)

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,
So I recently upgraded to a Denon AVR-X4300H and am not looking to add the ceiling speakers for a 5.1.4 Atmos/Auro-3D setup. Through reading of various articles is appears Atmos has some of the more restrictive speaker locations, so I figure I would use that as the basis. Below is a correctly scaled depiction on my theater room.

A couple quick numbers/legend

Room dimensions 18' X 9'7"
Ceiling height 8'

The bipolar surrounds are mounted 6' (on center) off the floor and 9' back (90 degrees to my head)
I have 2 rows of seating, 1st row ears are 9" from the front wall, 2nd row ears are 14' from front wall.

Based on Atmos set-up speaker placement guide for a 5.1.4 (https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/5-1-4-setups.html) I understand the front in-ceiling speakers should be should be 4'10" in front of me (based on 45 degrees).

My question is:
1) How far into the room do I mount the ceiling speakers? (the red A below)
2) How far back do I mount the rear ceiling speakers (the red B below). The math in the guide doesn't work (i.e. side surrounds 90 degrees from listener, but ceiling 125-150 degrees back from the listener)

upload_2017-6-4_13-30-33-png.21135

Any help is appreciated.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Pretty sure the rear ceiling speakers would go the same distance back, i.e. 4'10" in your picture. that 135 degrees thing just means 45 off the vertical axis.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
As far as the A dimension, Dolby shows that as inline with fronts, if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks