What's new

CHICAGO Specs: Where's the rest? (1 Viewer)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Really it wouldn't be that difficult to add this 1 scene in with seamless branching! I don't understand why such simply features cannot be implimented.

As far as double dipping, I'll do it for the first time on this release if I have to. I absolutely LOVED this movie.

I picked up 2 tickets and the soundtrack from a radio contest winner for $20 cdn! I LOVED the movie and I have listened to the soundtrack 10 times or more.

Love it love it love. MUST BUY, CAN'T WAIT!

Sorry :)

Guido AC

Grip
Miramax's website has what seem to be the final specs for this disc:

DVD Bonus Features:
—Deleted Musical Number
“Class,” Performed By
Catherine Zeta-Jones
and Queen Latifah
—Behind-The-Scenes Special
—Director & Screenwriter
Feature Commentary

Technical Features:
—Fullframe 1.33:1 Aspect Ratio
—Widescreen 1.85:1 Aspect
Ratio
—Closed Captioned
—DTS 5.1 Digital Surround
Sound, Dolby Digital 5.1
Surround Sound

Sounds good, but that's too much stuff for a single disc.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
The artwork at Buena Vista Home Entertainment looks like it has a "widescreen" banner on it (or some word that has 10 characters,) so I'm hoping that there are separate fullscreen and widescreen releases of this. Amazon shows separate fullscreen and widescreen versions.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
It's disappointing that the VH1 special won't be included. I have seen the film yet, but the VH1 show is what got me interested in picking this disc up. If a rerelease seems likely though, I'll just rent it.

-Dave

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
On the offical website, it says "Behind the Scenes Special" as opposed to the DVDAnswers website which labels it as a "featurette." Perhaps it's actually as comprehensive as the VH1 special?

A pity about the lack of a trailer, tho.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
On the offical website, it says "Behind the Scenes Special" as opposed to the DVDAnswers website which labels it as a "featurette." Perhaps it's actually as comprehensive as the VH1 special?
If it's anything like Disney's normal behind the scenes gumpf, it will be a 5 minute puff piece which was sent out as part of the EPK. As for no trailer, this is Disney we're talking about. The best you can hope for is one of those wretched Sneak Peeks advertising the DVD (which is a bastardisation of the trailer). Although, a trailer was included for Gangs of New York.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Guys,

This isn't a LOT of material for one release. The movie isn't even 2 hours. The documentary is 25 min. I think it's the special that was on tv...not sure which channel.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Man, this is a sure double-dipper since it won the Oscar.

Hmm, DTS and Class. I might just get the cheap version and skip the SE when it comes out. I refuse to buy both anymore with these double-dip releases. I waited for BHDown and I can wait for Chicago (if that's what I choose to do).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Disney doesn't usually double dip.
I don't know that I'd agree with that statement. They DD'd Pulp Fiction, The Sixth Sense, & Pearl Harbor last year, Roger Rabbit this year, and we know new editions of The English Patient, Pocahontas, and Lilo & Stitch, among others, are coming.

At any rate, this is truly an underwhelming release, especially when stacked up next to the lavish 2-disk SE of Frida (Miramax's other multiple-Oscar winner from last year).

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
At any rate, this is truly an underwhelming release, especially when stacked up next to the lavish 2-disk SE of Frida (Miramax's other multiple-Oscar winner from last year).
Craig,

I must agree. With this being such a runaway hit and a heavy oscar winner you would have though more bonus materials or a better overall package would be offered!

Joel C

Screenwriter
Pulp Fiction, The Sixth Sense, & Pearl Harbor last year, Roger Rabbit this year, and we know new editions of The English Patient, Pocahontas, and Lilo & Stitch, among others, are coming.
Yes, but every title you mention except Sixth Sense and Lilo was either a dual release (i.e. everyone knew the expanded edition was coming) or a re-release of a VERY early title (I certainly wouldn't consider the Vista Roger Rabbit a cash-in double dip--same with Pulp Fiction, English Patient).

Lilo is another matter, the SE was assumed since the animated features are ALWAYS dual releases, but the SE was cancelled for about six months before creeping back onto the schedule (blame Eisner). The Sixth Sense was an opportunity to cash in on the new Vista Series brand name and improve some video quality issues with the initial release.

I'm still betting that there won't be another release. Disney isn't Columbia TriStar, and reissues of old or animated titles don't set the standard for a pattern of rereleases of new films.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Well, not every release can be a gigantic special edition, but for such a high profile title, this is kind of disappointing. But at least there's a commentary. I'm interested in hearing what Rob Marshall has to say, since he obviously had a lot of love for the project.

Most disappointing, though, is Disney's continued insistence on leaving a film's trailer off the DVD. I got exicted when Gangs of New York came out with not just the final trailer, but also the original teaser from when the film was to come out in 2001. I thought that maybe they'd finally gotten the message, but apparently not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks