CHICAGO Specs: Where's the rest?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Adam_WM, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

From DVDANSWERS.COM:

At a time when crimes of passion result in celebrity headlines, nightclub sensation Velma Kelly and spotlight-seeking Roxie Hart both find themselves sharing space on Chicago's famed Murderess Row! They also share Billy Flynn, the town's slickest lawyer with a talent for turning notorious defendants into local legends. But in Chicago, there's only room for one legend! You will be able to own Chicago from the 19th August for around $29.99. The disc will comprise of the following:

1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
    English Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
    French Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
    Deleted Scenes
    Behind-the-Scenes Featurette

---
    I don't mean to be ungrateful, but where's the rest? VH1 had an awesome one hour documentary and I know the director/cast should have something to say on a commentary? The movie wins Best Picture and this is the version we get? I'll still buy it, but I wish there was 4x this!!!

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

At least I'll get to see and hear the movie better than in the theater I went to- the sound was analog and turned down way low, and the picture was rather dark and slightly off-frame!
    Anyone know if the French dub has the songs in French?

3. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Anyone know what the deleted scenes are? On the soundtrack album, there was a song between Mama and Velma called "Class" that wasn't in the film. I have no idea whether the track was recorded for a scene that was never filmed, or whether the scene was filmed and then dropped. I would like to see that scene.

There should definitely be more on this disc. A commentary would be fascinating. We could hear the reflections of a first time director of a Best Picture winner, and some good discussions about the difficulties met in adapting a very stage-bound musical for the screen. If there was a 1 hour documentary, that would definitely be worth seeing.

I'm guessing this will be a double-dip.

4. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

You guess? Miramax will milk this one for all they can.

5. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

6. Galen_V

Galen_V Second Unit

"Class" was taken out of the movie right before the final cut was made, as the test audiences apparently did not like it (although many argue it is one of the best numbers in the musical). So that will definately be there (as Richard said), although my guess is that the rest of the deleted scenes will be dialogue, since they didn't cut any more numbers that they shot that I am aware of. A commentary track would be a very nice addition for all the reasons mentioned above-although they could decide to put this in the documentary.

7. MattGuyOR

MattGuyOR Stunt Coordinator

Will Class be inserted back in the movie or just as an extra scene? I hope it's back in the movie.

8. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

I doubt "Class" will be reinstated in the film, as the release would mention something about a new cut. But I'm happy to be getting it in the deleted scenes.

9. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

This thread (and particularly Richard Kim's signature) has prompted me to think about a question I was wondering about when I first saw the film. I was just wondering whether anyone could provide an answer.

In the song "Cell Block Tango", each singer has one word:
    "Pop!" "Six!" "Squish!" "Uh-Uh!" "Cicero!" "Lipschitz!"

Now, I can understand five of these words:

"Pop!" = the guy was popping his gum.
    "Six!" = the guy had six wives.
    "Squish!" = I'll get back to this one.
    "Uh-Uh!" = Asked if she did it, she replied "Uh-Uh. Not Guilty."
    "Cicero!" = Murder committed at the Hotel Cicero.
    "Lipschitz!" = the guy's name was Lipschitz.

I cannot for the life of me understand what the "Squish!" refers to. From memory, the girl's husband after he accused her of screwing the milkman. He then ran into her knife ... ten times. The word "Squish" is not used, and does not seem to make much sense (unless it describes the sound of the knife going into his body - a rather tenuous explanation). Does anyone out there have an explanation? Was something changed between the musical and the film that would explain this? Any assistance would be appreciated.

10. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    "Squish" is the sound of the knife she stabbed her husband with -- ten times (she was carving up the chicken with it).

11. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

This has double-dip written all over it. No sale...

12. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

What I most notice missing from the specs is rehearsal footage, which I'd very much like to see more of. Sure, a bit of it will turn up on the "featurette" but probably only a fraction of what exists.

If only they'd go for an overloaded special edition and include tv appearances of those songs...like Zeta-Jones and Latifah doing "I Move On" on the Oscars, or Jerry Orbach doing "All I Care About" from the original Bob Fosse production on the Tonys, or Bebe Neuwirth doing "All That Jazz" from the promo film for the stage revival, etc etc.

13. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

I think I'll hold off on this and pick up All That Jazz and Hello Dolly instead.

14. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

15. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

16. Kenneth_C

Kenneth_C Second Unit

17. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

The reason it was cut in the first place wasn't because test audiences didn't like it but because the song would be the only one that couldn't logically take place in Roxie's imagination. Marshall cut it for those reasons. Although I like the song, I can see that the film is better without it.
    Marshall has also stated that it will not be re-cut into the film proper.

As for double dipping, I doubt it. I mean AMERICAN BEAUTY had a lousy set of "special features" and there hasn't been a new release of that. Also, in the end it's the film that matters. I think they're asking a bit much, price-wise, for a fairly standard release. Miramax is bad about that.

18. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

19. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I'll bet "Class" will be the deleted scene to be re-inserted to the theatrical prints.

20. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I'm quite sure that "Class" is the only number that was cut, so that must be it. Exciting news (though I hope the DVD will give you the option of watching either cut).