What's new

Chicago Special Edition? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if there is a Special Edition of Chicago planned? I have been holding off on buying this excellent movies because of the bare bones release, since it seems a shoe in for a special edition. But alas I have yet yo hear anything...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

"Bare bones"? The current disc includes a commentary, a documentary, and a deleted scene. It's not Alien Quadrilogy, but it's far from "bare bones".

I wouldn't count on a new version any time in the near future...

CraigL

Screenwriter
Japan and Korea both are getting (or have gotten) 2 disc sets.

It's not an impossibility.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The Japanese and Korean SE's contain barely more material than the R1 version - and what is new is not in English or subtitled in English.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan, I had somewhat the same concern when I bought this disc, as I'm really not one for double-dipping if it can be helped at all. But the picture and sound quality are quite high, and the commentary with director Rob Marshall and screenwriter Bill Condon is teriffic. The documentary is OK, nothing special. I definitely think it's worth buying if you enjoy the movie, as I certainly do, and as you appear to as well. I've already listened to the commentary track twice after owning this disc for just a few months.

Britton

Screenwriter
This could have used a few more features, but I probably wouldn't double dip for this flick.

CraigL

Screenwriter

Funny. I never said it had either. All I'm saying is that YOU said "no subtitles/english material" and that's not the case.

And there's an extra disc of material out there. I'm not saying that YOU may find it worthwhile, but a lot of us would. And if it's b-roll footage, then I find that the most interesting of all.

Regardless, it's something I'm picking up because I love the movie. And yes, to me these extras have definitely gotten me interested. As someone who bought the soundtrack twice to get the bonus dvd, I think I can buy the DVD twice to get the extra disc.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
CraigL, how good is that bonus DVD on the second release of the soundtrack? What's on it?

CraigL

Screenwriter
I'd have to check when I get home but I'm thinking of putting together a bonus disc myself. I have two "making of" specials on SVHS from the original release. One from VH1 and the other was on Bravo I believe.

I think that bonus disc had rehearsal footage. It only totaled maybe 20 or 30 minutes. And there were original demos from the original version of the show. The Music Video for "All That Jazz." And I think the trailer as well. Not sure if that trailer is on the dvd as well. I don't think it is.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I found the picture quality of the DVD to perfectly replicate the experience of my theatrical viewing.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

The trailer's not on the movie DVD, but the video for All That Jazz is in there, at the tail end of the documentary. If the rest of that soundtrack bonus DVD is just rehearsal footage and original demos, I guess I can skip it. I already have the CD of the original Broadway production, which is great. Jerry Orbach of Law & Order fame makes a fantastic Billy Flynn!

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Meh. I am disapointed that there probably won't be a really meaty release for this film. I think it really deseerves a deluxe release with fancy packagin ala Boogie Nights, Roger Rabit, etc.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I'm more interested in the contents than in the packaging. I don't think every movie needs a deluxe edition, and I don't think a better box makes for a better release. I haven't seen Chicago yet, but it is obviously absurd to call the existing disc "bare bones". It is exactly what is usually regarded as a special edition, and there is probably no reason for the studio to release an "extra-special" one, or expect the public to buy it (again.) Sounds to me like most of the "extra" material on the overseas editions comes from locally produced sources like TV shows, in the local language, to which the American distribution company probably did not have the rights. (And which wouldn't increase sales enough to justify acquiring the rights.)

Regards,

Joe

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Count me in with the camp that found the extras a little too EPK-ish for my tastes. The movie was great and I didn't pay much for it, so I don't feel as if I got cheated. I guess I just hoped that a Best Picture winner would get the deluxe treatment. Maybe on down the road. The same thing happened with AMERICAN BEAUTY.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks