Chicago Special Edition?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jonathan Dagmar, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Does anyone know if there is a Special Edition of Chicago planned? I have been holding off on buying this excellent movies because of the bare bones release, since it seems a shoe in for a special edition. But alas I have yet yo hear anything...

2. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

Please use a question mark if you are asking question.

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

"Bare bones"? The current disc includes a commentary, a documentary, and a deleted scene. It's not Alien Quadrilogy, but it's far from "bare bones".

I wouldn't count on a new version any time in the near future...

4. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Japan and Korea both are getting (or have gotten) 2 disc sets.

It's not an impossibility.

5. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The Japanese and Korean SE's contain barely more material than the R1 version - and what is new is not in English or subtitled in English.

6. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Jonathan, I had somewhat the same concern when I bought this disc, as I'm really not one for double-dipping if it can be helped at all. But the picture and sound quality are quite high, and the commentary with director Rob Marshall and screenwriter Bill Condon is teriffic. The documentary is OK, nothing special. I definitely think it's worth buying if you enjoy the movie, as I certainly do, and as you appear to as well. I've already listened to the commentary track twice after owning this disc for just a few months.

7. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

The information I was given begs to differ.

8. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

You mean this?:

Chicago R2/3 details

Hardly a wealth of additional material and stuff that would be easily accessible from news feeds and EPKs.

9. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

This could have used a few more features, but I probably wouldn't double dip for this flick.

10. Richard Gilmore

Richard Gilmore Stunt Coordinator

I found the picture quality of Chicago disappointingly low.

11. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Funny. I never said it had either. All I'm saying is that YOU said "no subtitles/english material" and that's not the case.

And there's an extra disc of material out there. I'm not saying that YOU may find it worthwhile, but a lot of us would. And if it's b-roll footage, then I find that the most interesting of all.

Regardless, it's something I'm picking up because I love the movie. And yes, to me these extras have definitely gotten me interested. As someone who bought the soundtrack twice to get the bonus dvd, I think I can buy the DVD twice to get the extra disc.

12. Haggai

Haggai Producer

CraigL, how good is that bonus DVD on the second release of the soundtrack? What's on it?

13. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

I'd have to check when I get home but I'm thinking of putting together a bonus disc myself. I have two "making of" specials on SVHS from the original release. One from VH1 and the other was on Bravo I believe.

I think that bonus disc had rehearsal footage. It only totaled maybe 20 or 30 minutes. And there were original demos from the original version of the show. The Music Video for "All That Jazz." And I think the trailer as well. Not sure if that trailer is on the dvd as well. I don't think it is.

14. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Actually, I found the picture quality of the DVD to perfectly replicate the experience of my theatrical viewing.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Thread title amended to reflect this threads's inquisitive nature.

16. Haggai

Haggai Producer

The trailer's not on the movie DVD, but the video for All That Jazz is in there, at the tail end of the documentary. If the rest of that soundtrack bonus DVD is just rehearsal footage and original demos, I guess I can skip it. I already have the CD of the original Broadway production, which is great. Jerry Orbach of Law & Order fame makes a fantastic Billy Flynn!

17. Will_B

Will_B Producer

deleted (found the info on the net)

18. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Meh. I am disapointed that there probably won't be a really meaty release for this film. I think it really deseerves a deluxe release with fancy packagin ala Boogie Nights, Roger Rabit, etc.

19. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

I'm more interested in the contents than in the packaging. I don't think every movie needs a deluxe edition, and I don't think a better box makes for a better release. I haven't seen Chicago yet, but it is obviously absurd to call the existing disc "bare bones". It is exactly what is usually regarded as a special edition, and there is probably no reason for the studio to release an "extra-special" one, or expect the public to buy it (again.) Sounds to me like most of the "extra" material on the overseas editions comes from locally produced sources like TV shows, in the local language, to which the American distribution company probably did not have the rights. (And which wouldn't increase sales enough to justify acquiring the rights.)

Regards,

Joe

20. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Count me in with the camp that found the extras a little too EPK-ish for my tastes. The movie was great and I didn't pay much for it, so I don't feel as if I got cheated. I guess I just hoped that a Best Picture winner would get the deluxe treatment. Maybe on down the road. The same thing happened with AMERICAN BEAUTY.