What's new

Chicago Special Edition? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I bought the exsisting Chicago DVD on release day in August with the full knowlege of what it does, and does not, contain, and I have to say I think the doccumentary is a bit too EPKish for my liking. I have yet to listen to the commentary.

That said, it's a solid disc with a great transfer and decent extras and I'm glad to own it. But in an era where fully loaded two-disc special editions are usually the norm for big hits, I'm very suprised that the Best Picture-winning Chicago didn't get one and I'd probably double dip for a new SE if there was a lot of new added content and it got good reviews

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Are Brian and Jake the same person? :) I don't think I've ever seen two consecutive posts by different people on the HTF that are so similar down to individual phrases. And both use a word I've never encounted - "EPKish". What is EPK and why is being like it a bad thing?

Regards,

Joe

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
An EPK is an Electronic Press Kit -- usually marketing fluff that's intended to help increase ticket sales. It's aimed at a different audience than a real documentary.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
The documentary on the Chicago DVD is pretty much in EPK territory, but the commentary isn't. It's really worth listening to for anyone who likes the movie.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Well, obviously Joseph, every movie does not need a fancy box, with a bundle of extra features. I certainly wouldn't buy a fancy box version of Deuce Bigalow, or Dumb and Dumberer.

But there are some movies that absolutly deserve this treatment. Some get it, Booogie Nights, Almost Famous, Lord of the Rings etc, Royal Tenenbaums, Pulp Fiction, etc.

Chcago deserves this treatment as well.

On a side note, Joseph, you seem to have a rather superior attitude. I don't know if that's your intention, but that is how you come across. I am guessing you are one of those types that actually get angry when a special edition is released because you think that the studio is somehow "cheating you" by expecting you to buy it.

You don't have to buy it. I however certainly would.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I would have thought after the release of the special edition soundtrack cd, Miramax would have also released a special edition of this dvd, considering the trials and tribulations they had to get this film made in the first place.

From what I recall, both Madonna and Goldie Hawn were cast using a different director, then dropped, then Charlize Theron was being courted for the role of Roxie.

What I would love to see include on the disc is a tribute Bob Fosse and original and revival of the Broadway show.

A dvd audio of the soundtrack would be a bonus.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
EPK = Electronic Press Kits. Basically the promotional material provided to the press - pre-recorded interviews, etc. Stars talking about how wonderful it was to make this film, not actually telling you anything. It is bad to be EPKish because people want to learn about how the film was made, and instead we just get a lot of essentially promotional material.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
From dvdanswers.com:

Released: 13th September 2005
SRP: $34.99

Further Details
Miramax Home Entertainment has announced a three-disc collector's edition of Chicago which stars Renée Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones. The set will be available to own from the 13th September this year, and should retail at around $34.99. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with both English Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 Surround tracks. Extras will include a commentary with the Director and Screenwriter, extended musical performances, song rehearsals, Chita Rivera’s Encore, a From Stage To Screen: The History of Chicago documentary and An Intimate Look at Director Rob Marshall feature. Also included will be features on the Academy Award winning costume and production designers, a VH1 Behind The Movie feature, a Deleted Musical Number “Class” performed by Catherine Zeta-Jones and Queen Latifah and a behind the scenes featurette. Completing the package will be the sixteen track soundtrack. Stay tuned for the official region one package artwork.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Hmmm... the original disc, Some extras that should been included the first time, and the soundtrack?

Yeah, I'll pass.

Geoff S.

Auditioning
Hah! Can we say "It's about time"? This should have been what we got years ago. I personally was expecting the double-dip for the 2003 Christmas season. But I guess that's Buena Vista for you.

I'll probobly still buy it though, since I am weak.:D

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'll take a pass on this also. I hate when they include the soundtrack as part of the package. I already have the soundtrack, as do most people who really enjoyed this film. Buying this would be more like a triple-dip.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I'd just like to point out how many people said this would never happen, and implied I was expecting too much (rudely) earlier in this thread.

I'll be picking this up, since I never bought the first release. Always expected an SE would eventually come out. I hope it has fancy packaging.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Looks like the disc 2 features might be interesting, but I'm not disappointed that by the time it comes out, I'll have owned the disc 1 with the movie and the commentary, plus the soundtrack CD, for two years already. I've certainly gotten plenty out of them in that timespan. I'll just rent disc 2 if it shows up on Netflix.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

I'm certain this deleted number is on the original DVD release - I remember viewing it, and liking it, but guessing it was cut for time considerations and b/c it was a bit more "raunchy".

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's on the original DVD, also with commentary by Marshall and Condon. They said they cut it out mainly because they felt it detracted from the building momentum of the trial sequence. Also, I think they said something along the lines of that it didn't quite fit in with the rest of the numbers, all of which were staged as fantasy performance pieces in Roxie's imagination (I guess Mr. Cellophane is sort of an exception, more like Amos' fantasy), while Class is just two characters singing to each other right there in the jail.

I don't think any considerations of it being too raunchy entered into it--they even used the original, more explicit lyrics that Kander and Ebb apparently weren't able to get away with in the original show!

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
"class" was on the original DVD, and the reason it was deleted from the film is because it was decided that it broke with the concept of the film, that all the musical numbers are part of roxy's imagination.

CraigL

Screenwriter
This will be a triple dip for me. Had the original...then got the japanese 2 disc.

Plus this will be a triple dip on the soundtrack as well. Got both versions of that.

Jonathan T.

Stunt Coordinator
both version of the soundtrack? i didnt know there was another version of the soundtrack? whats different about it, and where can i get it?

Hopefully it is minus the terribel hip hop number on the end.... Damn, way to ruin good music.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks