What's new

CES 2024 press releases, videos and commentary (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sadly no. I had hoped to meet up with @Colin and @Jonathan this year but tied up with parent care. I’m doing my best on the pulse from videos from the flat panel mafia and hope sharing what I’m finding is helpful. I know a lot of folks don’t like sorting through 30 videos but they will have to wait til mid year for actual reviews

My purchase plans:
✅32” OLED pc monitor. Asus, Samsung, Alienware or MSI one of em will be mine. The Alienware goes on sale Thursday, not sure when it ships. MSI ships February.
✖️living room upgrade. Would love to go from
77g2 to MLA powered 83” G4 but don’t think that’s in the budget
🤷🏻‍♂️basement update. I’d love to review a 110 or 115 to see if it will replace my Projector. I’m hooked on HDR and PJs don’t cut it. Fingers crossed we can work some magic with the vendors! $20k is out of my budget totally to buy one right now tho…

YANG

Screenwriter
a peek on what's coming from HiSense this "N" year to global markets, beside the 110" UX-N.
main.jpg

what's missing in the picture are the 50" U6N and 100" U7N,
additional_0.jpg

which according to the report here, is re-model referenced as 100U76N for U.S. market.​

YANG

Screenwriter
year "N" UX series do not have "on point" 100inch model as that "breaking 100" throne is reserved for the 110UX-N.
additional_0.jpg

instead, interested buyers will get the option to go for "close to 100" 98inch make from the UX series.

while in the report, 6000nits in brightness score is expected to be the year to year upgrade... i would expect on something else, such as the improvement on picture engine.​

YANG

Screenwriter
it's kind of challenging to identify which model is a mirror to global model and domestic model... especially when in North American market the model reference employs different alphabet and numbering.

the brief introduction to the new TCL models announced for the year'24.
15000 error apology included =)

previously in 2023, from the range announced to North American market, we could probably guess that QM8,7,6 is the mirroring of global market C845,C745, and C645, while the S series mirrors the P series. this year there's no alternate model reference for North American market to mirror X955, C805 and C755 which was announced earlier to global markets.

hence thru the report in above link, my guess will be...
QM891 mirrors X955(or X11G for China domestic market)
QM851 mirrors C855/805
QM751 mirrors C755
QM651 mirrors C655
S551 to mirror P755(judging from the past years' release reference)​

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Interesting. Digital Trends video said 5000 dimming zones. But maybe an error? If it’s actually 20,000 dimming zones, this is potentially an attractive alternative to an projector.
Caleb Denison of Digital Trends issued a correction, that it’s 20,000 zones. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My ‘90s display-tech-trained brain is really breaking on TCL and Hisense being the high-tech leaders for big screen TVs. Where’s Sony or even Samsung in the 100”+ market?

YANG

Screenwriter
in the past 5~8yrs, what the Chinese Tech giants had shown to the world is that they can build TVs. not only bearing their own marque, but also for other international brands. their improvements in component level had prompt other international partners to source panels, and other components to be employed to their own makes. SONY and SAMSUNG sourced LCD panels from CSoT, just in-case, u're not aware.

however... to date, there's one component that the Chinese Tech Giants struggling to catch up to other brands developments... which is the "Picture Engines".
although TCL makes LEDTVs for Panasonic for this 3rd year, the HCX Picture Engine is not made by TCL. the same would applies to Toshiba REGZA Picture Engine in Toshiba branded TVs, but built by HiSense. as well as Aquos Picture Engine by SHARP, but TVs built in some region by HiSense.

YANG

Screenwriter
...Where’s Sony or even Samsung in the 100”+ market?
CSoT who supplies panels to both SONY and Samsung doesn't seems to produce "on the dot" 100inch panels in large numbers like BoE, that supplies to HiSense as well as other Chinese Marques.
once CSoT can manufacture a huge number of 115" panels for supply to other buyers, u'll see the day of Samsung and SONY releasing 115" makes to global as well as American continent market.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks