What's new

Center Channel Savings (1 Viewer)

Arthur_King

Stunt Coordinator
So, Im contemplating purchasing a nice 4x" RPTV. And I have some pretty cheap bookshelf speakers that I can use as my fronts and rears. However, I dont currently have a center channel. Is there anyway in the short run to run the RPTV's speakers as the center channel? I know it sounds kind of goofy, but I figure they're right there under the TV, and they are not being used, is there any way to send the Center channel audio into the RPTV so it plays it through its speakers?

Daffy Arthur King

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If your receiver has an output jack for the center channel (otherwise used to send the center channel signal to an amplifier to power the center channel speaker), then I would run a cable with the typical RCA jacks from the receiver's center channel output, and then on the other end of the cable, slap on a Y-connector (1 female RCA to 2 male RCA jacks) and hook the 2 new RCA male jacks to one of your TV's input for the DVD and use the audio inputs (left and right).

Then, when you are watching a DVD, select the input on the TV so that the TV will be playing the center channel output from the receiver for the DVD.

With a true pre-amp level center channel output from your receiver, the volume of the TV will need to be set to match what is outputted to the rest of your speakers, and you may find that your TV speaker may not be played loud enough (and still maintain low/no distortion upon playback). As you adjust the master volume on the receiver, the center channel volume should follow suit on the TV speakers.

A bit convoluted, but it's worth a shot.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
You're generally going to get better and more coherent sound setting your reciever to no center and have what is known as "phantom" center than using the RPTV's speakers.

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
You're generally going to get better and more coherent sound setting your reciever to no center and have what is known as "phantom" center than using the RPTV's speakers.
Yup, thats what I would do. Your TV speakers will probably have trouble kepping up with your mains and surounds, and most likely will degrade the system fidelity because the speakers they put in TV's are usually junk.:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks