What's new

center channel placement (1 Viewer)

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
I just had my TV price refunded by the manufacturer. I have since purchased another set and stand. This set is now about 5-6" higher than my other set. I still have my center channel tilted downwards towards my listening position, but panning across the screen doesn't seem as seamless as it was before. What are your suggestions to make this a little "tighter"? My speakers are JMLabs Cobalt 816s, and the center is the Cobalt cc800. The tweaters on the mains are about 35-36", and my ears are about 38-42" (give or take if I am slumping in my seat or not). The tweater on the center is about 53". I am sitting about 9.5' from my mains.
What do you suggest is the best way to improve a seamless sound field across the front? Tilt the center down even more? Tilt the mains back slightly? Reduce toe-in? Widen the left and right distance or push the speakers back a bit (I have very little room for these options)? I cannot move the seating back any further from where it is, nor can I really move the equipment out any further as I have that door in the right part of the image. If I can't "solve" this issue with speaker placement adjustments, I can always return the TV stand, and build one 6 inches lower, but I like the look of this stand with the TV.

Here is a picture of the front of my system:

Thanks.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Nice TV. :)

Here's what I would do.

Build a small stand for the center channel speaker. Make the stand high enough to that the speaker is a few inches below the bottom edge of the screen. Should work out great. It would bring the center closer to being in-line with the tweets/mids of the L/R speakers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think a stand for the center is a good idea. Right in the middle of that unused area below the screen (hope that is not the IR receiver). If not, then a different rack that either allows the center to be mounted below the set, or brings the height of the set down (though it looks good where it is).

The speakers shouldn't need to be further into the room, but a little farther apart with just enough toe to keep them from giving you too much first reflections off the side walls.

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure I can do that. I *THINK* that I would be blocking the IR, plus I don't have much room to move the speaker down and in front. It would be too far out in the room...and I can't move the set back more than another inch or two (not that I would want to move the set back...as my image size would be reduced). I could remove the shelf under the TV and then place the speaker in the stand, but then the distance from the tweeters would be greater, just coming from below and not above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks