What's new

Celing mount or In-Ceiling speakers? (1 Viewer)

Tim_S

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone has experience with using in-celing speakers for rear speakers. My sister is having a new house built and I think these would work well in her room, but I've never looked at these before. If anyone has recommendations that would be great.

BTW, the in-celing speakers would be replacing some low-end Bose speakers, so we are not talking audiophile quality. Something in the $200-$300 per pair would be about what she would go for.

Alternatively, if someone has recommendations for mounts to mount normal speakers from a ceiling that would be helpful too.

Tim

Steve.M.L

Auditioning
I'm using Paradigm AMS-100R speakers in the ceiling for surrounds. These were $150 each back in 98. The speakers themselves sound great and I think they work very well but it is a compromise. I just wasn't going to have room for bookshelf speakers in the rear of the room. The biggest downside is that the speakers are firing down.

If the concern is floor space more than aesthetics, I would look into good bookshelf speakers that can be mounted to the sidewall or ceiling with a swivel bracket. There's a bunch out there.

One suggestion that I wish I would have done - regardless of which way you go for speakers, have the electrician run speaker wire to where you would put them in the ceiling and in the side wall. Also, make sure they use decent wire; it doesn't have to be anything fancy but no smaller than 16 gauge. Even if you never use it, it's nice to have it there just in case.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Tim,

I'm using some NHT CS 8.3's for my surrounds. They have a 8" driver along with a 3 tweeter setup. They do a fine job for what I use them for, which is pretty much everything from HT to multi-channel audio. One would be hard pressed to guess that I am using in-ceilings instead of bookshelfs or other wall-mounted surrounds. You would have to look over your shoulder to know that they are back there, instead of something else. I think retail on them is somewhere around $450/pr. They also make a CS 6.3, with the only difference being a 6" driver instead of 8. I believe I just spotted a set on ebay of the 6.3's for around $250 or something. Let me know if you have any more questions. Best of luck.

Steve.M.L

Auditioning
Mike - I'm using Paradigm AMS-450 (now SA-30) for front mains along with the AMS-100R for surrounds. I've been thinking about swapping out the AMS-100R and replacing with either SA-10R or SA-15R. Think it would make much of a difference going to the Reference line?

Tim_S

Stunt Coordinator
I took a look at the Paradigms and they would probably work. Anyone have more recent pricing on the CS-50's?

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks