What's new

CBS/Paramount Stalled Shows - An Analysis (1 Viewer)

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Thanks for reminding me that the S1 Hillbillies from Paramount is non-existent- Think I knew that at one point in time, but good to know when I think through purchasing.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Cleveland

Thanks for reminding me that the S1 Hillbillies from Paramount is non-existent- Think I knew that at one point in time, but good to know when I think through purchasing.

Yeah, those MPI sets are a mixed blessing. On the one hand they had some nice extras with Linda Kaye Henning do intros among other things. The negative is that the video quality isn't the best.

Gary "still wouldn't trade them for anything though" O.

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward Van Fossan
[SIZE= 18px]Just too many stalled shows! Maybe the fish aren't biting because there are just too many worms to go after. It saddens me that shows like Family Ties could go 5 seasons and suddenly wind up in the dumper. Sorry about Happy Days too. They're trapped with Laverne and Shirley in Big Al's diner and I don't think they'll be released any time soon.[/SIZE]

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
When Brad Grey came to Paramount to run things he promised to open the vaults. Never happened. In fact, I think they released even less material and many shows remain in limbo. This was two years ago. Our only hope is praying that Shout will pick up some of these missing titles someday. Family Ties should've been a no-brainer to complete it's run - every season was released within 4 months of each other until Season 5. I have a hard time believing that people suddenly lost interest in the show after that.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed

[SIZE= 18px]Just too many stalled shows! Maybe the fish aren't biting because there are just too many worms to go after. It saddens me that shows like Family Ties could go 5 seasons and suddenly wind up in the dumper. Sorry about Happy Days too. They're trapped with Laverne and Shirley in Big Al's diner and I don't think they'll be released any time soon.[/SIZE]

It seems to me that complete series mega-sets are great gift items...yet these sitcoms like Mork & Mindy and Family Ties haven't...quite...gotten there, and therefore the studio can't benefit from complete anythings.

I have a theory that in a couple years, we'll suddenly see Complete Series sets of some of these long-stalled shows anyway (maybe even on Blu :D ) and that they'll quietly have forgotten the old season releases.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I guess the bottom line is that DVD releases, at least retro tv, don't sell that well.. I am sure if it was profitable we would see everything come out. I guess in cases like Batman, the cost and litigation make a release prohibitive even though it would be popular.

But then you have some studios doing the MOD releases in special order batches. Apparently, they found a way to come out on top even with limited distribution. I don't know but am bummed out about this problem of stalled shows as well.

I think this s particularly worse with two season shows and only one season was released i.e. Here Comes the Brides, SWAT.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
But "Streets of San Francisco" for example probably sold well but I think they have a problem with music rights.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino

But "Streets of San Francisco" for example probably sold well but I think they have a problem with music rights.

That never stopped them before:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/thr-esq/cbs-sued-63-year-old-97091

How ironic. They cut every note of music out of almost every show they release, let one slip, and get sued.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewA

That never stopped them before:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/thr-esq/cbs-sued-63-year-old-97091

How ironic. They cut every note of music out of almost every show they release, let one slip, and get sued.

Yep, it's very sad to see that happen because we know that's only going to cause CBS/P to be even that much more unlikely to release an older series where any chance at all this will happen. I'm betting that this will keep Family Ties, Happy Days, and many other 70's and 80's shows.

On another note, my crystal ball miraculously cleared up today and things are a bit more clear for the remainder of 2011. Unfortunately, while I see a couple of nice offerings coming in the second half of the year, it's very slim pickings. I mean very, very slim pickings! The crystal ball was able to verify Perry Mason S6, V1 for October 4th though, so at least there's that to look forward to.

Gary "I personally saw only 3 series I'd be interested in, although there were a couple more that other fans here will like" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Can we reverify that your Crystal Ball only applies to CBS/Paramount? :)

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I'd really like to see CBS start putting out Touched By An Angel again. They stopped after season 4 now have only done crummy collection discs. It's strange that they stopped. I always thought that the show was one of their most popular....at least it was to me.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P /forum/thread/310720/cbs-paramount-stalled-shows-an-analysis/60#post_3812905

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
another problem is demographics i.e. the target market is from 18 to 34. Most of this market doesn't even remember most of these shows. i guess i am just over the hill at 43.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino

I love "Streets", but how do we know it sold well? Or that there was a music rights issue with that show? I think if it actually did sell well, we'd have seen the rest of it.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Gary,does your crystal ball show anything for The Love Boat? I was hoping we would have gotten news of a release for August,as the pattern for this show seemed to be the last week of January and the first week of August. Also,Paramount are releasing Melrose Place and Dynasty (the fans of Dynasty are even lucky enough to be getting two volumes on one day,thus avoiding the wait between volumes) whose last releases were in 2009,the same year the last volume of The Love Boat was released. Did the Love Boat tank(no pun intended) that badly?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Wight

Gary,does your crystal ball show anything for The Love Boat?

Alas, it does not. But remember that the studios can always change up their plans.

Gary "anything's possible, so keep a good thought" O.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Quote:

Alas, it does not. But remember that the studios can always change up their plans.

Gary "anything's possible, so keep a good thought" O.

That's disappointing to hear,but thanks for letting me know,Gary. I wonder how Paramount picks which show(s),whose last season didn't sell very well,to resume releasing.

Dave_I

Auditioning
Real Name
David Isbell
I hope Gary's crystal ball is right about Perry Mason. My wife and I love that one. I'm beginning to be concerned about future releases of Hawaii Five-O. Season 11 was supposed to have been released by now, but it's now in limbo, apparently. (Granted, I've heard that the last two seasons aren't as good, but I'd still love to finish the collection.) Other than these, my most wanted CBS shows that are stalled are:

1. Beverly Hillbillies

2. Petticoat Junction

3. toss-up between Gunsmoke & Bonanza

I've wondered if they released just enough of some shows (Bonanza, Petticoat Junction, etc) so that they could stop the public domain titles.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
All I want to get out of CBS/Paramount are Seasons 5 and 6 of Gunsmoke, 2 of the show's best and rarest years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks