What's new

CBS/Paramount Stalled Shows - An Analysis (2 Viewers)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_I /forum/thread/310720/cbs-paramount-stalled-shows-an-analysis/60#post_3820207

All I want to get out of CBS/Paramount are Seasons 5 and 6 of Gunsmoke, 2 of the show's best and rarest years.

[/quote]

Wish I knew for sure if we'd get both seasons. I'm definitely in for both if they get that far. Right now I know we'll see S5, V1. But I know of nothing beyond that for sure.

Gary "I hope we get to see HGWT and The Untouchables finished since both only need one more season released to be completed" O.

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
First CBS/P quashed their original concept of running a diverse group of classic shows on TV LAND (How many times can I watch the same six shows?).

Then when you seek them on DVD, they limit their release or have music issues(i.e. The Fugitive & The Odd Couple).

My CBS/P stalled wish list:The Streets of San Francisco Season 3 & beyond;and Cannon Season 3. Hey how about full seasons with unaltered music?

WHAT A CONCEPT!!!!!!!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
YES!! Thanks Gary! I was very tempted to get Gunsmoke season 5 through other means but I'm glad I waited. I thought Gunsmoke was dead for sure. I wonder if the death of James Arness had anything to do with it?

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Any news on the status of Matlock, can we expect S7 to be released soon?!

Paramount has been putting out releases at a fairly steady pace which means it has sold well. Season 6 looks like it is selling well according to the sales info on Amazon, I wonder if can expect a second release for 2011?!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by TVonDVDJunkie05

Any news on the status of Matlock, can we expect S7 to be released soon?!

According to my crystal ball, Matlock isn't on the schedule at all. My interpretation is that it's definitely stalled at this point. Could it pop back up on the schedule next year? Sure, anything's possible in this hobby. But as it stands at this particular moment in time, the prospects are not good for more of this series. Then again, I could say that about pretty much every classic show in CBS/Paramount's vault at this point. For instance, after finally getting Have Gun, Will Travel off the snide it appears the last season might be stalled out again. I emphasize "might" only because no more sets are scheduled for the remainder of this year (per the crystal ball), but I don't know about next year yet.

Gary "things seem to be going from bad to worse when it comes to vintage releases and CBS/P" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The only reason why I wish HGWT got its last season out is because one episode has a rare guest appearance by Irish McCalla, star of "Sheena-Queen Of The Jungle", a show that alas will never have a proper DVD release because (1) 10 of the 26 episodes are missing and (2) the original 35mm elements long ago disappeared leaving us only with not very good 16mm copies of the episodes that do survive.

Another season of Love Boat would have been more welcome though.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P

Gary "HGWT is one of my Top 3 favorite TV westerns of all time" O.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
HGWT must've sold good enough for them to give it five seasons so far, it's illogical and strange to me if they're not putting it out this year to finish it off once and for all. Only halfway through the year so time is there had they wanted to, if it's not poor sales (less likely?) then I truly wonder what could be the reason then. Sad this (sudden death) no faith in classic shows from the majors.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow

HGWT must've sold good enough for them to give it five seasons so far, it's illogical and strange to me if they're not putting it out this year to finish it off once and for all. Only halfway through the year so time is there had they wanted to, if it's not poor sales (less likely?) then I truly wonder what could be the reason then. Sad this (sudden death) no faith in classic shows from the majors.

It's not strange to me. Just look at how they've treated The Untouchables. It's been off the schedule, with only one season remaining in order to be completed, for almost 2 years now. And there's no sign of it coming this year either. So at this point no decision CBS/P makes surprises me in the least.

Gary "at this point I think CBS/P's classic TV program is close to being put on life-support" O.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
But it's strange why they do it wouldn't you say, if the reasons aren't sales. Or maybe it has to do with that? One more sold unit and we'd seen it.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Considering the amount of shows that Paramount has abandoned,with only one more season left to completion,I'm scared for the fate of Vega$. I hope we get the first volume,of season 3,before the end of the year. Better yet, the last season be a full season release,or two voulmes,released on the same day,like they're doing with Dynasty.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
According to my crystal ball, Matlock isn't on the schedule at all. My interpretation is that it's definitely stalled at this point. Could it pop back up on the schedule next year? Sure, anything's possible in this hobby.

Thanks for the info Gary.

I am a bit surprised that they won't be releasing another season this year, then again it is becoming more apparent to me that the people in charge at CBS haven't got a clue what they are doing?! They seem to be all over the map when it comes to classic TV on DVD- are they just picking stuff out of a hat?!

Matlock had 2 releases each of the past two years- two releases in one year for a classic series means it is selling quite well, at least in my book it does?!

HGWT must've sold good enough for them to give it five seasons so far, it's illogical and strange to me if they're not putting it out this year to finish it off once and for all.

I would agree its illogical, this series had 3 releases last year, yet now all of a sudden with one season left they decide to shelve it?! Oh well at least they released the second half of season 5 this year so fans of the show are not left hanging with half a season.

Considering the amount of shows that Paramount has abandoned,with only one more season left to completion,I'm scared for the fate of Vega$

I think that you can add Vega$ to the list of stalled shows with only one season left. If Matlock or Have Gun, Will Travel will not see any more releases this year then I doubt Vega$ will.

With all these stalled shows, I wonder if we will see Paramount expand their partnership with Shout! Factory, allow them to sub-license more shows?!

Dave_I

Auditioning
Real Name
David Isbell
According to the Facebook page for CBS Home Entertainment, Season11 of Hawaii Five-O IS coming out on September 20. Looks like Gary's crystal ball was right!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I agree Nick, it's like I always say, if the majors won't release something for whatever reason then license it if at all possible. Limited releases at least are sure to sell, something smaller companies like S!F should grab on tight for, and take just about everything TV cult they can find in the vaults. In the best of all worlds of course, but UK company Network serves as the perfect example that it actually works expertly in practice. Better yet, Paramount should ask us here what we think should be released, and how, they couldn't make any mistakes then and they'd know what the market wants. I don't know who they're listening to back at the office, but parties would be better off with more fan involvement and communication.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
When looking at the CBS Syndication Bible, it's unclear to me if the last seasons of Have Gun Will Travel and The Untouchables have even been HD transferred as it says partially, so perhaps we have a reason for the stalling right there. Maybe they have decided on a new policy only to release remastered stuff (themselves) from now on, and this explains some of the stalled titles. Personally, I'm not so choosy when it comes to these shows and would buy less than stellar looking stuff ala Cannon (which somehow slipped through not prepared), hell volumes too.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Gary "HGWT is one of my Top 3 favorite TV westerns of all time" O.

The season 6 Christmas episode, "Be Not Forgetful of Strangers," guest stars Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Famer Duane Eddy. Richard Boone and Eddy met on the set of the MGM film A Thunder of Drums and became good friends. Eddy also appeared in the Season Five episode of HGWT, "The Education of Sara Jane," and he had a small part in a 1968 Richard Boone film, Kona Coast.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
according to best buy's pre orders bonanza season 2 vol 2 is coming on 10/11/2011.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
With new release dates for Perry Mason, Gunsmoke and Bonaza, anyone hear anything new about Sgt. Bilko?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks