What's new

CBS/Paramount Stalled Shows - An Analysis (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I would certainly buy more "Gunsmoke" if released, but it's not as high a priority for me because frankly I am finding that the show is at its peak as a half hour entity and while I would love to complete the half hour era, having four seasons and 156 episodes is certainly sufficient for me to experience again and again (along with having the "best of" sets to sample later years; I am finding I really don't like the show at an hour plus, I REALLY can not stand Ken Curtis's Festus. The show just lost something once Weaver left)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
ME-TV is showing Cannon at 11 a.m. and the Masters looks about the same quality level as the DVDs. Did they just lose track of the 35mm masters?

Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino

"Cannon" was a very good show but the picture quality of the DVD´s let me speechless.

It was so bad like a VHS cassette.

I wonder why this show wouldn´t get remastered but other CBS/Paramount shows were ........

Maybe this is the reason why the selling numbers are too low.......

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Right now my 3 choices are all westerns.

1. Gunsmoke

2. Bonanza

3. Big Valley

I'll wait a little bit longer but I may have to go another route if nothing shows up within the next year. It would be great if Shout! picked up any of these three. Fortunately, Netflix has Gunsmoke seasons 7-11 online. Even though the 30 min. format works best with Gunsmoke, I have seen some pretty good hour long shows. I'm leaving off The Donna Reed Show since it looks like there's a good chance the fourth season will be coming out soon (fingers crossed).

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I think the chances are high we'll see more Love Boat released this year. I say that because the last release was in 2009,like Melrose Place,and there's been news that more Melrose Place will be released .

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Bob_S.

Right now my 3 choices are all westerns.

1. Gunsmoke

2. Bonanza

3. Big Valley

I'll wait a little bit longer but I may have to go another route if nothing shows up within the next year. It would be great if Shout! picked up any of these three. Fortunately, Netflix has Gunsmoke seasons 7-11 online. Even though the 30 min. format works best with Gunsmoke, I have seen some pretty good hour long shows. I'm leaving off The Donna Reed Show since it looks like there's a good chance the fourth season will be coming out soon (fingers crossed).

Bob, we're talking only about stalled CBS/Paramount titles, not stalled titles in general.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
My top three on my wish list from CBS/P:

1. Barnaby Jones

2, Matt Houston

3. Love American Style

I know is is a corny and dated show, but I think that is why I enjoy Love American Style so much. It was a show I watched growing up and I remember being curious who would appear in the episodes each week. I would love to have Season 3 for the Happy Days pilot. I don't hold out hope that Seasons 2-5 will ever be released.

I would also like Season 5 of Happy Days to have the "Jump the Shark" episode, but I would end it there.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Alright, I have a stalled CBS shows wish list too:

1. Barnaby Jones

2. Streets of San Francisco

3. Cannon

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
As I've suggested in the past, it seems CBS is stretching out their classic releases (1950's-1980's) rather widely. It don't think it's a matter of being stalled,as much as which is the next series in waiting will be slotted into one of the available slots.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I wish CBS Paramount would release Season 3 Of Cannon. According to Gary, last year his crystal ball predicted a fall 2010 release of Cannon Season 3. He later got updated information that Cannon was stalled. The point is in regards to sales, Cannon sales might not have been as bad as we think for CBS to have considered releasing it last fall and then changing their mind. Maybe Paramount will change their mind again and release it. I guess optimism is all we have!

Another point regarding Cannon is it is about the only CBS show I know of that Paramount didn't give any respect for in terms of video quality. The Cannon DVD video and audio quality is not excellent with HD transfers like their other series like Barnaby Jones, Mannix, etc. Now I would rather have Cannon keep getting released even without the excellent quality than not have it released. I do thank Paramount for releasing it and ask for them to continue and at least release Season 3 even with the less than stellar quality.
Here is a question for the forum. I would think the Cannon DVD costs to Paramount with the less than HD quality has got to be a lot lower than the cost to Paramount for their HD quality DVDS of their shows like Mannix, Hawaii Five-O, Perry Mason, etc. Since the costs should be lower, might this factor help in terms of Paramount releasing Season 3 of Cannon with the same non HD quality of the first 2 Seasons? I would like to hear some opinions on this question. Finally, the 3 shows I most want CBS to resume releasing:

1. Cannon I know this is obvious!

2. Tie The Streets Of San Francisco and Barnaby Jones

God Bless!

Robert

my unstalled paramount list

1 cannon

2 barnaby jones

3 peticoat junction

4 the streets of san francisco

5 love american style

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
1) Barnaby Jones

2) Streets Of San Francisco

3) Petticoat Junction

I love SoSF- the chemistry between Malden and Douglas is great, as is the location work. Two seasons of it just aren't enough.

But then even more frustrating that is having only one half season of BJ. I used to watch the show as a kid when it originally aired and I couldn't believe how much fun it was to see it again. Even if the detective plotting can be slight and suffer from the need to have everything wrapped up neatly in 50 minutes, the show still entertains because of Ebsens personality. It's enjoyable to be in the company of this character for an hour or two a day. That first half season went by way too fast.

Almost as frustrating is having PJ stall out just before Lori Sanders showed up and the show flipped to color. As interesting as it was to see the first B&W seasons for the first time, the color Lori eps were the ones I really cared about. Given how other studio seem so skittish about B&W shows in general (like Sony feeling the need to offer colorized versions, etc), it's ironic that CBS/P would ice the show just when the natural color material starts.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Hi Robert. I'm with you there in wanting more Cannon, especially since the Season 3 opener is the classic two-parter with David Janssen. I'm not sure that the poor picture quality necessarily has to do with release decisions since we already got those first two and they looked so very less than stellar, but I'd definitely also rather have that than nothing!

S

silverking

Gunsmoke

The Untouchables

Perry Mason

I wonder what sales figures are for half season sets compared with full season. Perry, Untouchables,Rawhide would have been done & dusted by now if they had been full season.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I think more than anything the shifted focus from the main stars to the Guest stars is what killed the later episodes of Gunsmoke for me, I'd be in it till at least season 9 if they continued. Are not the Half hour epissodes finished with Season 4, I thought 5 began the hour long shows.

Originally Posted by Jack P

I would certainly buy more "Gunsmoke" if released, but it's not as high a priority for me because frankly I am finding that the show is at its peak as a half hour entity and while I would love to complete the half hour era, having four seasons and 156 episodes is certainly sufficient for me to experience again and again (along with having the "best of" sets to sample later years; I am finding I really don't like the show at an hour plus, I REALLY can not stand Ken Curtis's Festus. The show just lost something once Weaver left)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa
I think more than anything the shifted focus from the main stars to the Guest stars is what killed the later episodes of Gunsmoke for me, I'd be in it till at least season 9 if they continued. Are not the Half hour epissodes finished with Season 4, I thought 5 began the hour long shows.

Looks like the hour long epsiodes started in season 7, so there are still two seasons worth of the 30 minutes episodes to still be released.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yep thats correct the hour long episodes started in Season 7 and the show went to color starting with Season 12.

Originally Posted by smithb

Looks like the hour long epsiodes started in season 7, so there are still two seasons worth of the 30 minutes episodes to still be released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks