What's new

CBS/Paramount Stalled Shows - An Analysis (1 Viewer)

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by Stephen Wight

I think the chances are high we'll see more Love Boat released this year. I say that because the last release was in 2009,like Melrose Place,and there's been news that more Melrose Place will be released .

That would be amazing. I really want more Love Boat releases.

The half season sets are so frustrating to wait for, especially when

then it gets stalled! A complete set is what i'd buy in a heartbeat.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
With RAWHIDE thankfully back in motion, my Paramount stalled list is actually short & sweet:

1.) THE UNTOUCHABLES - Season 4

2.) ONE STEP BEYOND: OFFICIAL RELEASE - Seasons 2 & 3

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
My list is even shorter:
THE UNTOUCHABLES - Season 4
...with guest stars like: Frank Gorshin
Rip Torn
Carroll O'Connor
Ed Asner
Barbara Stanwyck (twice!)
Dan Dailey
Dorothy Malone
Robert Redford
Butch Patrick
Lee Marvin, James Caan, Roy Thinnes -- all in the same episode!
Robert Vaughn
Anne Jackson
Tom Tully
Telly Savalas, Frank Sutton, Ted Knight -- also all in the same episode
Richard Conte
Harry Morgan
Mike Connors
Jack Klugman
Claude Akins
Robert Duvall ...and one of my favorite character actresses on television:
Nita Talbot--in an Untouchables Christmas episode, no less!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The vintage TV on DVD market is really, really hurting right now. The only evidence one needs is to look at how dead this board has been for weeks now. There are literally only a couple of CBS vintage shows being discussed - Lucy and Mannix. Apart from those it's been a ghost town around here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get some good news from the studio for the second half of the year. Right now there's only one CBS release coming down the pike that I'm interested in - Rawhide. I might go for Mannix too, but that's about it in terms of vintage releases for me through July. Slim pickin's for sure.

Gary "thankful for Shout, Timeless and... well, I'm thankful for those two" O.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Originally Posted by Gary OS
The vintage TV on DVD market is really, really hurting right now. The only evidence one needs is to look at how dead this board has been for weeks now. There are literally only a couple of CBS vintage shows being discussed - [SIZE= 16px]Lucy [/SIZE]and Mannix. Apart from those it's been a ghost town around here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get some good news from the studio for the second half of the year. Right now there's only one CBS release coming down the pike that I'm interested in - Rawhide. I might go for Mannix too, but that's about it in terms of vintage releases for me through July. Slim pickin's for sure.

Gary "thankful for Shout, Timeless and... well, I'm thankful for those two" O.

Gary, I know you are a huge fan and collector of Christmas episodes of TV shows - you may want to reconsider your thoughts about the latest Lucy release. It contains a classic Christmas episode which, by the way, features an original cast member of the show - Jimmy Garrett (Jerry Carmichael). I think you'll enjoy it. Oh, and just to let you know ... Target currently has this set on sale for only $15 dollars. Did I mention that this CBS vintage TV-on-DVD set is just loaded with special features to boot? Here is your opportunity to snatch it all up at a great price. Think about it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Theodore J. Mooney

I am aware of the Christmas episode from this season of the show and if I didn't already have a copy off TV I'd certainly be much more apt to buy the set just for that episode. Although, I'd be lying if I said it was high up on my Christmas episode favorites list. I much prefer the 1st season episode to this one. But I hear what you are saying and appreciate the thought.

Gary "I really am glad, for fans like you Mike, when any of these shows are released on dvd and I hope CBS finishes out this series for that reason" O.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
My list is really short, I only want more Barnaby Jones. After waiting so long and finally getting season 1, I thought we were finally going somewhere. Too bad the market has slumped for classic shows.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Echo /forum/thread/310720/cbs-paramount-stalled-shows-an-analysis/30#post_3808999

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
I never bought the Beverly Hillbillies sets from Paramount because I had purchased the earlier MPI collections from the Henning estate. If I wanted to pick up where those left off, do I want to purchase the Season 3 set, or does the MPI Vol 2 set stop before completing the Season 2 episodes? I don't want to repurchase episodes, but wouldn't mind supporting the cause if it helped get more seasons released.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^The MPI V2 set stops before completing S2. It contains 18 S2 episodes, starting with #1 and going through #19, *skipping* the Christmas episode. The set ends with episode 19 - The Christmas Episode is #14 which is skipped. The Christmas Episodes from S1 and S2 could only be purchased separately (for a very inflated price). There are 36 episodes in S2 so you're missing 18 of them unless you also own the Christmas episodes DVD.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Thanks- I repurchased the PJ sets due to it being a stronger fave than the Hillbillies- Guess I'll have to pick up the Season 2 from Paramount, and maybe even the S1 if I want to be a completist.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
There's only one Paramount series that I want to see continued: "The Streets of San Francisco".

It was the great cop series of the Seventies!

"Mannix", "Hawaii Five-O", "The Streets of San Francisco" were the best law and order-related series of Paramount.

PS: I'm glad that "Rawhide" is back on the right track. I am waiting for the last two seasons (season 7 and 8) with impatience.

Season 7 was produced by Bruce Geller, the creator of "Mission: Impossible" and the developer of "Mannix".

Season 8 was in full color, Clint Eastwood became the leading man and it was produced by writer Robert E. Thompson who worked on "Mission: Impossible".

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Originally Posted by peggy

My list is really short, I only want more Barnaby Jones. After waiting so long and finally getting season 1, I thought we were finally going somewhere. Too bad the market has slumped for classic shows.

I share the disappointment mixed with ambivalance, but has it really keeled over. Every now and then studios surprise us with shows picking up life again, proving how patience sometimes is a virtue that can pay off. Mannix is continuing, Have Gun Will Travel has made it to season 5 just recently, there's new movements in the licensing and archive alleys, etc. So this market hasn't gone away and just died somewhere over night, the fans are still there only the studios need to think along new lines. I agree about Barnaby Jones, of all the shows in limbo it is the one I want the most to live on, and felt sure it would after its first popular and short one season release. Sad when other CBS crime shows did go on, and sad because what other options do its hungry fans have. Not many, close to none as it stands.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I've said it before,and I'll say it again - it appears that CBS is just focusing on completing/continuing a couple of series at a time,and then moving on to another. Rotating things so to speak.

Folks just need to wait things out.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure waiting is the answer for any studio.WB sat on Growing Pains for close to 6 years before releasing the second season a couple weeks ago.

I checked 4 retail stores(YES FOUR!!!) and none even had it in stock. Went home checked Amazon(which being one of the main purchase places for vintage tv you can't find in stores) and noticed its sales rank # was 1,146. So yeah, I'm positive it tanked.

The longer CBS delays, the more people stop caring or have given up hope years ago.

As for me, I think it's criminal they haven't released more

-Barnaby Jones

-Happy DAys, Laverne and Shirley Mork and Mindy

-The Love Boat

-Beverly Hillbillies

I'm still thankful for The Six Million Dollar Man complete series, and Universal for releasing The Bionic Woman in a timely manner. Thank y ou.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Wish Laverne & Shirley saw 1 more season released. The best of Happy Days is out there already (Season 1-3 in my opinion were it's glory years, plus season 4 is also out which I always felt was when the show started to change for the worse), but I'm disappointed that the last season of the Milwaukee years isn't out for Laverne & Shirley.

I don't care if the California seasons ever get released. Watching them on The Hub currently and I'm reminded at just how weak they were compared to the earlier seasons. But I really wish we'd get season 5 of Laverne & Shirley.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I see that Doug and Debbie Downer have hijacked yet another thread; *sigh.* Anyway, the only good news from Paramount is that they're releasing two half-seasons of Dynasty at the same time. I hope that's their business model from now on--so people don't have to wait interminable periods of time between "half" seasons with no assurance that they'll ever even get the second half.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
ergo inimicus vobis factus sum verum dicens vobis?

Gary "don't shoot the messenger" O.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by Jack Cleveland

Thanks- I repurchased the PJ sets due to it being a stronger fave than the Hillbillies- Guess I'll have to pick up the Season 2 from Paramount, and maybe even the S1 if I want to be a completist.
Just don't go looking for a Paramount S1 set. It doesn't exist. They started with S2 and have stopped with S3. Hopefully it's only a temporary halt. Currently (sadly) the only way to get S1 is through those MPI sets and/or PD sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks