Caulking Endcaps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Strassburg, Apr 3, 2002.

  1. Mike Strassburg

    Mike Strassburg Second Unit

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2001
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    0
    I glued/screwed in the top endcap last night and today went to run a bead of caulk around the inside edge. Of course I have about 8 layers of batting spray glued to the inside of the tube and the glue ran into it......

    Long story short, I'm having a little problem getting a nice clean surface to caulk, and am wondering since this is a ported sub how big of an issue it is??

    I also ran a light bead around the outside, so I feel pretty good about the seal, but want to be sure. TIA...Mike
     
  2. Chris_Freeman

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2002
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Having the caps sealed is important even for ported designs because air leaking could cause wave cancellation. If the caps are glued and screwed caulk probably isnt going to help much. Personally I would use wood glue to seal the caps, it gives a much better seal, but get it right the first time cause it wont come back apart.
     
  3. Mike Strassburg

    Mike Strassburg Second Unit

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2001
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for the feedback Chris. I did glue the endcaps in place, and ran caulk around the inside/outside of the tube.
     
  4. Patrick Sun

    Patrick Sun Moderator
    Moderator

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 1999
    Messages:
    38,717
    Likes Received:
    463
    Tap in some small finishing nails around the perimeter of the tube where the MDF mates with it to keep the endcap from getting blown off under heavy duty usage.
     
  5. Mike Strassburg

    Mike Strassburg Second Unit

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2001
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    0
    Patrick,
    I don't trust nails all that much, especially considering the vibration factor. I used 12 screws around the perimeter.
    Also tried your trick of putting the caulk in place before sliding in the bottom endcap. Worked great!
    Tomorrow I've just got to wire/install the subs and I'm done. Also picked up some Velcro for the grills. I'll see how that works before I try more drastic mounting measures.
    I'll borrow the digital camera from work next week to take a few pics.
    Now if only that HS500 would arrive [​IMG]
     

Share This Page