Speaker Sealing Caulk

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Slade, Jan 21, 2002.

1. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

On page 160 of the Parts Express catalogue I received today with my order, I saw speaker sealing caulk. If I ever receive my Tempest from Adire I will need to in some way seal it to the bottom endcap. Has anyone used this speaker sealing caulk? Can you suggest an easy to locate substitute?

I really don't want to wait to recieve another order from the US? The Tempest is making prefer to buy local. As with anyone else I am looking for a tight seal and a good clean look.

Thanks

2. Brian Steeves

Brian Steeves Second Unit

I've used it several times. It makes a very airtight seal and is VERY sticky once the driver is seated. I've read some that think it's just black "plumber's putty" but I can't attest to that.

Lots of people use foam weather-stripping with good results.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The Parts Express caulk is very good at creating an airtight seal and virtually impossible to remove after a year or so.

Try using some closed cell foam weatherproofing tape from one of the home center stores.

4. Travis G

Travis G Stunt Coordinator

I used plain old weather stripping on mine. Whatever you do though don't use silicon caulk. As silicon caulk dries it releases acidic fumes that can damage the surrounds of some speakers and glues that some speakers are held together with.

It is ok to seal the enclosure with silicon caulk providing you allow enough time for it to set before mounting the drivers.

5. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

I've used RTV (silicon) for 30 years, and have never had a problem with the acedic acid damaging anything. I dont think the newer stuff (called RTV II) even outgasses. I like the stuff because it makes an airtight seal, and can be cut with and exacto knife if the driver ever needs to be removed. Using weather stripping alone often leads to loose drivers after awhile. If you use weather stripping, be sure to use some type of lock washers, as the constant vibration seems to loosen hardware, especially wood screws in particle board.

6. Steve Estabrooks

James,
    It sounds like you are having problems with delivery from Adire. How long have you been waiting. I am going on 2 1/2 weeks. It was supposed to ship last week but I dont think it has yet. Still no promise date.
    Steve[​IMG]

7. Kent_E

Kent_E Auditioning

I went to Adire yesterday and picked up my Tempest. There are two large pallets full of them. I bet your drivers ship out very soon, if they haven't been shipped already.

8. JonahWicky

JonahWicky Stunt Coordinator

I ordered mine December 18th. An email from Nancy at Adire on January 14th (Monday) said they were expected to arrive the next day and ship Wednesday last week. I'm still waiting!

9. Steve Estabrook

Steve Estabrook Auditioning

I just got the e-mail that it shipped today. Will have it in about a week.Cant wait!![​IMG]

10. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

Steve,

It looks like my Tempest shipped on the 21st. I ordered it around the first of January I think. My problem is that I think the website said that Tempest was in stock or something along those lines, then I receive an email saying it won't even ship for a few weeks.

I am building the sub in Nova Scotia and the Tempest has already made it to Montreal so I should have it in a few days. I live in Ontario with family in Nova Scotia, I made travel plans around when I thought the parts would arrive, and was then told it wasn't in stock. I guess I should have double checked and Adire should update their site when drivers are on back order.

Anyway hopefully it will all work out.

To the original reason for this thread I am nervous about weather stripping just dosen't seam like the best idea to me. But I don't want to wait for the caulk to arrive from PE is I am looking for an alternative. Silicon seems like a good idea to me, but not everyone seems to agree.

11. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

i think silicone is fine as long as you let it dry out before you install your speakers.

12. Kerry Hackney

Kerry Hackney Stunt Coordinator

I use a weather stripping caulk that is made by FrostKing I think. It comes in a ribbon that you can seperate for as little or as much as you want. The nice thing is that it doesn't harden up and it makes removing a driver much easer. I've also heard it referred to a rope caulk. I got mine at Home Depot. Inside the cabinets I use Latex caulk because it is much easier to clean up. YMMV...