What's new

Car audio install instructions? (1 Viewer)

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Just received my Alpine CDA7873 head unit and a pair of Boston Acoustics RX87 5x7 coax speakers. Vehicle is a 1996 Mazda extended cab pickup. Rear speakers will stay as stock.
What instructions should I give the installer at one of the local car audio shops about the install.....my concern is that I don't want the installer to cut any corners on the install....on the other hand, I don't want to pay tons on the install. Is a wiring harness mandatory? Dynamatt as sound deadening material?
I am looking at 8 gauge probably (4 gauge if it's not too much more). FWIW, in the near future, I am looking at adding a four channel amp (either Concept CC-504 or USAcoustics USX4085...both amps can put 200+WRMS when bridged...for a sub :) ) and a 12" SVS driver in a sealed MDF enclosure (1-1.3 cubes).
I definately prefer SQ over SPL.
Thanks for any tips. This is my first aftermarket car system.
Dave

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hi David,

I use to manage a home/car audio place and I'm a little confused. What are you having installed?

If you are only having a head unit and a pair of speakers installed the process is pretty simple and there are no special instructions required. I would recommend a wiring kit to maintain your factory wiring in the even you want to switch back at a later date. No need to run thick power cables for this type of install as the after market head unit wouldn't even be able to use it.

When you are ready to install the amps/subs you should run either eight or four gauge power cable from the battery to a distribution block that will feed power to the amps. You will also need a fuse within eighteen inches of the battery. At this point you might want to have the installer run all new speaker wire from the amps to the speakers instead of just taping the factory wiring. This is all very basic and any reputable installer will do most of this by default. All you will need to do is write the check.

As for sound deadening material...play it by ear. If you have problems with rattles you might need to pull off a few panels and lay down some Dynamatt. If you want to dump a ton of money into your system you can have your entire truck layered with the stuff but I wouldn't do it unless you want to compete with your system. Not much bang for the buck in most instances.

There are a million options for box design and custom installations if you want to go down that road. Removable panels, automation, custom lighting, etc. You are only limited by your imagination and the abilities of your installer.

- Jeff

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Jeffery,

Sorry about the confusion. Currently, I have a pickup truck that has a factory installed tape deck and four speakers. I would like to have a newly purchased Alpine CD head unit and a pair of Boston Acoustic speakers (fronts) installed. The rears will stay the same as before.

Since I am all thumbs, I would like a local installer with Mobile Electronics Certification Program (MECP) to install my new goodies. I have made a deal for a 12" SVS driver that will soon arrive (probably within the next few weeks or so)....I am planning to use the 12" driver in a sealed enclosure behind the driver seat. Not sure where the 4 channel amp would go....underneath the passenger seat if possible? I still want to use the remaining space (half the extended cab) to carry truck accessories (snow chains, booster cables, etc.) and work related stuff (rain boots, rain gear, etc.).

Since my truck is an automatic, there is likely a grommet (for the clutch in a manual transmission) where the cables can go to the battery, right?

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks