What's new

Remote car starter and alarm system? (1 Viewer)

DavidY

Supporting Actor
I've been thinking about buying a remote car starter and alarm system for my 1996 Mazda extended cab pickup truck....but I am not sure if it is worthwhile purchase since the truck is not brand new and I've have owned it for the past 2.5 years.

However, the prime motivation for the alarm system is that I will soon have a modest car audio system installed (Alpine CDA7873 HU, Boston Acoustics RX87 front speakers, a 12" SVS sub and a four channel Orion CS200.4 amp). Furthermore, I've been considering a car starter ever since I have moved to a new city two months ago....minus 30 degress Celsius back then (in winter, it's as low as minus 40 Celsius)....took 15 minutes for the vehicle to warm up, just in time for me to arrive at work.

Today, I was looking at a Viper 550ESP car alarm/starter system....CAD$380 plus CAD$250 install fees...total CAD$630 (US$400) plus taxes. The same local dealer had a Black Widow car alarm/starter system for CAD$400 (US$250) plus taxes installed. I have read that the Viper system is one of the best...but I think that it's too good for my six year old vehicle (85000 km or 50000 miles)....it would have been a no-brainer if I had a brand new vehicle, but I don't (I would luv a four wheel drive for winter driving...but that's unlikely at this time). The Black Widow is pretty cheap online.....makes me wonder about it's quality. What do you think?

A couple of months ago, a Polar remote starter system was priced around CAD$285 (US$195) plus taxes installed.

Also, is there a significant savings in vehicle insurance if one has a car alarm system...my insurance will be renewed in June or July?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
It depends on the insurance company, but probably no reduction in cost (at least, not when I got an alarm with State Farm).

Definately have someone do this installation for you. Don't try to do it yourself. NIGHTMARE!

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
I live in NY state and I had either a 10 or 15% discount on my insurance when I had an alarm installed. I got a python 1000ESP and I am very satisfied with it, although I have only had it for a couple of weeks. There is a model that is the sames as the 1000ESP that also includes remote car start.
Python, Viper, Clifford, Avital, SIdewinder, and others are all made by Directed electronics. Check out www.directed.com
Greg

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Randy, I've installed 3 remote starters/alarms and it's a good experience to really get to know your car :) Now seeing somebody hot wire a car on TV by simply touching a few wires found in ten seconds is especially humorous.
Dave, does the Viper thing have features such as unattended starting the car periodically if it drops too cold? Or start when battery gets below a certain level?

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Mike,

Not sure about all the features of the Viper 550ESP. I do know that the Polar Start (remote start only) does unattended starting...starts up and runs for a bit every couple of hours or so.

Dave

DavidY

Supporting Actor
UPDATE: Recently, I had a Compustar 2WFMAS remote starter/alarm/2 way pager system installed in my truck. Got the Compustar due to a backorder on the Polarstart....lucky me. :b Got it at dealer cost. One glimmicky feature (IMO) is one can page you if you are away from the car....by tapping on the windshield over the paging sensor....the remote alerts you that someone is waiting for you at your car.
For those interested, here's the website for Compustar: http://www.compustar.org
The Compustar 2WSSAS looks really cool. Probably very pricey too.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks