Remote Automobile Starter Questions

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by James Edward, Aug 31, 2005.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

My 80 year old aunt just got a 2005 Toyota Corolla, and I am interested in having a remote start installed for her.

I see local shops that do alarms, car stereos, etc., charging anywhere from $100-250 to install a remote start system.
    The Toyota dealer charges $580.00.

I truly have no idea what is involved, and therefore don't know whether the dealer is worth the extra money. And what I mean by worth it is this- are there ANY issues that can crop up during or post-installation that are better handled by a dealer, or is this an electronic version of an oil change?

As I said, she is 80 years old, and I simply want to make her life easier, not add potential problems. Please advise me on this! Thanks for any replies...

2. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

I don't know specifically about starters, but car dealers usually charge more for everything than other businesses do.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Toyota offers remote start on the new Avalon as a factory-installed option. There are no Toyota factory-approved or supplied accessory remote start systems so whatever the dealer installs, or has installed by a subcontractor, will not be covered under the factory warranty on the car, and will most likely be no different than whatever an independent shop puts in.

So if you get the dealer-installed remote start, it will not be a factory approved unit and the warranty on it will only be good at the selling dealership.

If you have to have one of these gas-wasters I see no reason to pay extra to have the dealer supplied one.

4. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

She's 80 and lives in NY with no garage. Having the car warmed up would be a great help for her in the winter months.

Does anyone know how easy/hard the installation is, or what it involves? I just don't want to cause any headaches for her...

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I think you can get engine block heaters, I know VW has them stock on some of their cars. Much faster than letting the engine warm up by letting it sit at idle.

6. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

I think he may be talking about the inside of the car. A normal practice up north it to start the car and turn on the heat so it warms the inside and melts the ice. Then you get in a toasty car. I had the same thought but for my A.C. in the summer until I got a garage.

7. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    I recently had a car alarm installed at Circuit City and was able to talk to one of the installers about remote starters.
    Not to over simplify things but he said it's pretty simple to do and it's all just wiring work. Here's a link with a description of what's involved.

Link

As to whether you should have it done at the dealer or not, well, you don't always get what you pay for when working with the dealer.

Which ever route you choose, I would ask how they secure their wires and confirm that they solder their connections.

More importantly I would do research on the unit you're looking to purchase. You could be unlucky at the dealer or a local shop and get a sloppy job done on the installation. However, avoiding purchasing a subpar unit that could fail on you is something you have a little more control over.

For the unit I would look for one that requires multiple commands on the remote to start the car. You wouldn't want it to start accidentally. [​IMG]

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I'm glad I have heated seats. [​IMG]

Actually I think some of the remote starters have options that will turn the car off if it has been at idle for XX period of time.. Will kind of prevent or hopefully diminish the chance of somehow accidentally triggering the remote start if it's in an enclosed garage in your house.

I think it is something that a reputable garage can install rather than the dealer, but I have no experience in it myself.

Jay