What's new

Can you describe your speaker/HT lifecycle? (1 Viewer)

TonyWright

Second Unit
LSi's for a computer? That is awesome. I guess I never thought to do something like that. I have the Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 setup. I'm only running 2 of the speakers at the moment though.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to start in the year, I went to dolby digital from pro-logic, more becuase my memory fails me than any other reason.

Kenwood Dolby Digital reciever, JBL 10" Powered Sub, Yamaha 3 way 8" woofer speakers all the way around, GE 46" CRT RP Standard TV. Mitsubishi Laserdisc player, some cheapo DVD player that I do not even remember the make and model of now. Sony 300 disc CD changer. Cheapie Stereo Hi-FI VCR

Changed the reciever to a Denon 4802, quickly blew my sub, so I changed to a 15" Velodyn, changed all speakers to JBL S38 Studio Series shortly after that. Changed to another really cheapo DVD player as I think the other broke. I also added a JVC SVHS VCR.

2004 (Actually got my HDTV around xmas 2003)
Same audio system, but finally upgrade to HDTV, bought and installed a Philips 60", also added a still cheapie Philips DVD player, I tried a progressive scan model and my particular TV is better with 480i on component video, allowing the TV to perform the progressive scan. I also added an extrenal set tob Zenith HDTV tuner. I got a 2nd Laserdisc player for next to nothing so I could use the Mitsu for a backup player owning so many LD titles, I got worried about player failure.

Mid July 2004, I ordered a DVD player that can scale to 1080i out the component video outputs, and I am currently waiting for it.

Remember when us HT geeks were in High School, and would drool over equipment we could not possibly afford. Well I have come to the realization, that right now, I pretty much have my hand picked dream setup, and find I am completely happy audio wise. 90% happy video wise, but feel I can improve my DVD widescreen performance with the most current purchase.

Costs of current equipment???
$1700 for the Denon 4802
$1248 for the 60" Philips HDTV
$225 for the Zenith HDTV tuner
$1200 $230 per pair for the qty 5 pair JBL S38 speakers
$500 for the Velodyn 15" Sub
$80 for the current DVD player
$160 for the new DVD player just ordered.
I don't remember what I got the Sony CD changer for
Denon Laserdisc player, was basically free.
I don't remember how much the JVC SVHS VCR was either.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
1998:
Toshiba 27"(4x3)
Pioneer DVD player
Sony SAV-10 DPL setup
JBL center

Nov 1999:
Yamaha RX-V495 DD
Paradigm Mini Monitors(2pr)
Paradigm CC-350
PDR-10

May 2000:
Denon 1801 DD/DTS
PS-1000 sub to replace PDR-10

Mid 2001:
Rotel RMB-1066

Nov 2001:
Marantz AV560 pre/pro

May 2003:
Rotel RMB-1095

Nov 2003:
Paradigm Studio(v3) 40/20/470/PW2100

Jan 2004:
Yamaha RX-V1400

Apr2004:
Paradigm CC-570 to replace 470

July2004:
Monster AVS2000

Now it may look like I have a problem? I do and its caused by all you wonderful HT junkies that visit this site everyday. The day my wife finds out how much I spent I'm blaming you guys/gals cause she'll me. I figure all told I've spent about $10k on what you see in the picture. Though as you move down the list everything I bought replaced the corresponding piece before it. Which were sold to help buy the new piece. My dealer also offers a buy now pay later, no interest/payment program that I've been able to utilize to have what I have now. Other wise I'd be stuck at the setup around of 2001. This is what I'e ended up with.

Kevin

PS: I didn't include my purchase of cables or speaker wiring in my HT life cycle so here goes.

Speaker Wire
1. 16G dealer wire to
2. 12G HD wire to
3. 16G AR Pro Series 2 for bi-wire to
4. 10G AR Master Series Silver/Copper

Interconnects Video

I've used Monster and AR Pro series S-Video, Ar Master Series Component and now Straight Wire Silver LinkII

Interconnects Audio

Monster/AR Pro/AR Master coax and optical. I've settled with a Pure Glass Optical cable that I picked up for $20US.

Nick Laho

Grip
Kevin: This is nitpicky, but because im insane I have a to tell you. Your right speaker is closer to the tv than the left! Why don't you swap the equipment cabinet with the left speaker so they are both the same distance from the tv? I am a little weird when it comes to perfection.:) :b

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In 1977, bought my uncles Packard Bell(?) combination AM/FM 8-track turntable consol (this thing was HUGE!) for $25. Traded that for a friends Scott AM/FM turntable and two speakers. 1980, Realistic AM/FM cassette unit ($249?, the first htib?) and some kind of 19" tv (can't remmember the brand but it was $199) were bought. The Realistic receiver was stolen in 1981 and was replaced with a Fisher RS-245 stereo, the first one one I had seen with LED's, and two 12" Fisher speakers (total $299), a Fisher cassete deck with Dolby B ($149), and a Technics turntable/Shure cartridge ($160). These were bought at Macy's when they were given the "Electronics Retailer of the Year" award! for 1982. In 1983 a Magnavox CD player was added ($118). In 1987 the Fisher cassette was replaced with a Teac Dolby C unit ($129). 1991 saw the 19" replaced with a 27" Zenith. In 1992, a pair of Yamaha AS-635 8" 3-way speakers ($78) and a Zenith stereo vcr ($247) were added to the mix. In 1994 an RCA 5 disc cd was bought ($88). 1997 a DirectTV Sony BS-2 ($199) dish was installed, by me of course. 1999 the 27" was replaced with a GE 35" ($599). In 2000 an Aiwa DV-75 DD receiver ($199) pushed the RS-245 into the closet and a Philips 5 disc dvd was purchased. Shortly after, a KLH 8" sub ($99)and two Optimus Pro 77's ($80 used for surrounds)was purchased and a home-made center channel was put together using two Infinity 5 1/4" car speakers. In 2003 picked up an H/K 520 ($299), 8380 cd ($99), CDR 20 ($49. not a miss-print, $49) and DVD-5 ($149) all open box units from CC and as yet, no problems. In 2003 the Onkyo SKS-500 speaker set was bought and hooked up to the Aiwa avr in another room. Six months later the Aiwa was replaced with a factory refurb Onkyo HT-500 receiver was bought from pcmall.com ($119). Feb 2004 a 55" Apex (I know, I know but I got the 4 year warranty) wide screen TV was bought ($899) for dvd playing only. March 2004 a Tivo unit was bought, May 2004, a Tohiba 6915 5 disc uni player ($179) was bought and returned as defective. Next day the replacement also went back. In frustration, a Pioneer 563A universal dvd player ($139) was bought. Last month the SKS-500's were replaced with two Polk RTi6's ($129 each), two RTi4's ($79 each open box) and a CSi3 ($149) from CC. Also asked for and received a free PSW202 Polk sub (piece of junk, the whole thing is plastic, even the driver!) even though the promotion had ended two weeks prior. Two days later, the CSi3 was swapped for an open box CSi5. Last month, an open box Athena Point 5 ht speaker set ($129) was bought to replace the Yamaha 635's, Optimus 77's and home-made center channel. Soon, the KLH sub will be replaced by the Polk 202 and I will get a better sub to go with RTi's. Next purchase will be a better universal dvd player to replace the Pioneer. I now have two set-ups. The GE 35" and H/K gear is in one room for every day use and the 55", Onkyo receiver, Pioneer dvd and Polk's are in a larger room for movie's and DVD-A/SACD listening. Don't ask me how I can remember all these prices because I don't know. Whew! That's alot of stuff, but not as much as others. And I've bought 3 times as much car gear! No, it never ends. And HT is number three on my list of hobbies behind classic cars and golf, though golf will soon fall off the chart if I don't start playing better!:angry:

PaulT

Supporting Actor
OK, I'll bite:

TV has been the same 32 inch Sony CRT throughout due to space issues.

2000: 800CAD
Sony SAV system
100WPCx5 receiver
5 mini-satellite speakers
10" Sony Sub ;)
Sony DVD player

2002: 3000CAD
sold Sony gear, kept DVD player for Bedroom system

Onkyo TX-DS696
Klipsch SB2
Klipsch SC1
Klipsch SS1
Klipsch KSW-12
Panasonic RP-82
HTM MX-500 remote

2003/2004: 6000CAD
upgrade really hit - now I'm hooked
kept RP-82
kept Onkyo 696 as pre-pro
sold Klipsch Sub, other Klipsch set for sale

Parasound 1203A (3x140WPC)
Parasound 1000A (2x125WPC)
Paradigm Studio 40v3
Paradigm Studio 570
Paradigm Studio ADP
Paradigm Servo-15
Behringer Feedback Destroyer

last week - bought a house with a room I can make a dedicated HT room, so - near future:

2004/2005: 6000CAD
Toshiba 51 inch Widescreen RPTV
Anthem AVM20 SSP

when will it stop ???? :D

Frank.Ch

Agent
Wow, some nice upgrades!!! Nice photo Kevin!

Well, I finally got my subwoofer and center speaker yesterday.

As soon as I got them I ripped open the packages, and set up my 5.1 system (need to figure out where my 2 additional SS-1 surrounds will go).

I have to honestly say I'm blown away by the sound so far. Of course I realize I can always upgrade to much better speakers, but I can be happy with these for a while.

The first thing I'll upgrade will be the Sub, as many have suggested. I'm thinking a SVS PB2 or so in the coming months, but I'm going to enjoy the current sub for now.

It's amazing what a decent speaker / audio system can do for TV and movies!!! I stayed up until 2am just watching my favorite movies again - Matrix, Lord of the Rings, etc. I just cannot get myself away from the speaker area!!!

WOW I love home theater, and this is a great way to begin my journey. Hopefully 10 years from now I will post to this thread about all the upgrades and experiences!!!

PS - Paul, yes, I will have a dedicated HT room in the future, but that will be a massive upgrade! :D

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
crappy KLH 5.1 set & Pioneer reciever (no DTS)
crappy KLH sub died so got an aiwa
crappy Pioneer DVD player (no progressive scan)
27in Sanyo TV

Upgraded to crappy Pioneer mains
then...
Upgraded to a Polk Audio center channel and Boston Acoustics surrounds

Samsung 42" RP HDTV - came with okay Samsung progressive scan DVD player (DVD ROM based - very loud)

Upgraded to Onkyo TX-SR501 receiver
Upgraded to Denon DVD-2200
got rid of the Pioneer mains and got Klipsch RF-25s

next on the agenda is the Outlaw LFM-1

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
1) (1993-97)
Aiwa Mini Component system w/ 3 CD changer, tuner, dolby pro-logic, dual tape deck, 5 speakers + subwoofer, and 100 disc external changer.
Also used an RCA 19"TV and RCA VCR.

2) (1998-99
Purchased all of this stuff on a whim without knowing pretty much anything about audio or video. My way of picking out speakers at the time was looking at a comparison chart and picking the one with high numbers across the board. After buying all this stuff for some reason instead of being placated, I started reading all sorts of stuff I found on the web like HTF amongst many others.

Harman Kardon 2.0 SSP
Harman Kardon 2.1 5 ch amp
Harman Kardon FL8550 5 disc CD changer
Klipsch Synergy 10.5 speaker system
Klipsch 12" sub with 200W
Tara Labs Prism cabling
Sony XBR 36" TV

Later added these and as you can see my improved knowledge of stuff was already helping my decision making.

Sony S7000 DVD player
Bag End Infrasub 18"
Sunfire MK2 True Sub

3) (1999-2002)
Started wondering around and listening to more high-end audio set-ups at stores and realized my system sucked when it came to playing just music, plus all the Harman Kardon stuff pretty much broke down, so I purchased new stuff.

Theta Casa Nova
Bryston 5B-ST still used the HK 2.0 for rears
Meridian 500 CD transport
Atlantis Reference AV rack and 4 shelf audio rack

4) (2002)
Grew tired of all the wires everywhere and still yearned for better performance, especially with music. At this point I decided to get out of trying to run a 5.1 system. Initially I did it to reduce clutter, but quickly relaized by not having to stretch my budget out for all these extra speakers, that 2 much better speakers handily outperformed multiple cruddy speakers. I had planned this move for quite some time, but didn't know what speakers I should upgrade to. It basically took me about one year and a half from when I decided to go this route to when I actually bought the new speakers and speaker cable.

Jean Marie Reynaud Offrandes
Analysis Plus Bi-oval 9 SC

Soon after upgrading to these fabulous transducers, I felt I could get even more out of them with a better amp. So 6 months latter I bought a new amp.

Art Audio Concerto Mk2

So my system then consisted of the above three items plus the Sony DVD S7000, Sony XBR TV, the Theta Casa Nova, the Bag End and the Meridian 500.

5) (2003)
At this point I had made two resolutions to myself, never buy mass produced audio equipment again, and what I do buy I need to not buy what I have the money for at the time but what product could essentially last me a lifetime. The Offrandes certainly fit this motto and the Art Audio does as a push-pull tube amp, but I do have to confess to a desire to upgrade to the Art Audio Jota SET or something similar. Also at this point, I was getting curious about vinyl. I had zero experience with LP's, but what kept attracting me to them other then the reported better sound was the amount of great music out there on the format, the cheap used prices, and a lot of this from artists who I had refused to purchase on CD, due to the CD's being really bad. To get into vinly I was forced to sell the Meridian and the Sony TV however to help raise some capital. I thought this would kill my digital listening, but boy was I wrong. The TV my wife misses, but getting it out of the way allowed the system to take further steps ahead. So someday I will be adding a front projector to quiet the wife, and for now we use my old RCA 19" TV. So my quest into vinyl ended with me purchasing these:

Granite Audio 770 tube preamp w/phono
Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck
Hadcock 242SE w/ Incognito wiring
Benz ACE H2 cartridge
Argent Room Lenses

6) (2004)
Now my biggest glaring weakness was that I was still running the entry level Tara Labs wiring with Analysis Plus SC, so I started searching out what cables to upgrade to. After recommendations from my amp manufacturer, I decided to try Ensemble Cables, of which I purchased some SC's and a set of IC's. Soon after getting these all installed I had an opportunity to try another brand of cables in my system. Now I had really liked what the Ensemble stuff did for me, but the this other brand was an unbelievably great match with my equipment, so I pulled the trigger and ordered a full set of:

TG Audio cables - 2 HSR IC's, HSR SC's, HSR biwire jumpers, and Silver power cord. They are still in the process of being made.

I have also made a few other recent changes:
Added a Purist Audio cryo treated wall outlet
DIY ceiling absorber
Echo Buster Double Buster for rear wall
Living Voice Mystic Mat for turntable
Music Maker Mk 3 MM cartridge
Silent Source Signature power cord

Once all that is installed I think my system is 98% done with no more urge to upgrade any of the already installed pieces.
Additional upgrades will be:
External power supply for turntable
Nueance Isolation shelf for turntable
Power Conditioner to plug everything but amp and video stuff into
DLP Front Projector
Pull down screen

You can see a better breakdown of my current system by clicking on my equipment list link button.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I did start with Paradigm Atoms all around 7 years ago, with a 27'' Sony TV, in a small 8'X10' room in a small apartment... I had a Yammie receiver (don't remember the name) also.

It would take 3 pages long to post all my ''upgrades'', but just click here to see where I got since the Atoms... And I will not post any prices here, because I don't want to see how much I did spend on all this!

http://www.pbase.com/levesque/my_home_theater

And the front stage (sorry, some still some cable management to do under the center speaker...):

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"I have yet to receive my Klipsch KSW-12 subwoofer an Klipsch SC-1 center speaker, and yet I am already browsing SVSsubwoofers.com look at the B4-Plus woofer for $3,849, thinking to myself "hmm, that's not too bad, I could order one of these." I think I've caught the upgrade disease before I have even begun to listen to my first system..."

If you were to take this bit of unsolicited advice from an old hand in the audio/video/film hobby...I would say that underpinning the low bass foundation is of prime importance. One can always change main/surround speakers, but once we have nailed an excellent subbass performing system there really is no reason to change (often or otherwise). Thus my advice would be to get either a BP2+ Ultra or a B4+/amp/EQ/cable package from SVS, depending on the overall size of your HT/listening room environment and your own particular demands, of course... :)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Frank.Ch

Agent
Thanks Frank for the advice. :)

I've been listening to the KSW-12 sub for a couple of days now, and I'm happy with it, not ecstatic, but happy.

I've listened to my friend's Carver Sunfire, and it was nice. Then my friend upgraded to a Snell hand made subwoofer, and I was blown away. During the helicopter landing scene in "Black Hawk Down" the Snell sub really kicks, while my KSW-12 gently knocks.

I am planning to upgrade for sure, but have to warm up my wife to the idea. She's blown away by the KSW-12, and think the sub provides tons of bass. The sub does shake the windows and the sofas, but I want cleaner, tighter bass.

There is budget for the SVS PB2+ Ultra or the B4+/amp/EQ/cable package, but I didn't want to go that high end for my very first system. After all, it would make almost any other sub I buy down the road seem weak and under-powered. So there is some logic behind the madness ;)

I think when I get a Fluance speaker package for my home office, I'll mate it with the KSW-12, and then let the SVS sub take center stage in the HT.

There can never be enough clean, tight bass :emoji_thumbsup:

Joey_V

Second Unit
frank ch,

nail down the bass... why are you worried that you wont have any more viable upgrades in the future? u know u want the svs - get it because u want it, not because you plan on upgrading from it. it doesnt make sense to me thats all.

Frank.Ch

Agent
Robb, thanks for letting my family the opportunity to audition your SVS PB-2 Ultra today!!

I only have two words to describe the experience: "Blown-away"

The PB-2 Ultra is so sweet, it almost blows my mind how tight and powerful it is. I have now heard low frequency detail that I have never heard before in my favorite movies.

I like your idea of the SVS PC-Ultra for my HT, and will let you know when I place an order for one.

I loved the lunch and especially the beer, so next time you go give me a call!!

Thanks, Frank

PS - awesome Boston Acoustic speakers too!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

PPS - Tom, it was great to meet you too. Please pm me if you get a chance, I need to get your # for my bro who may need your services.

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
ok, for the entire "surround sound" portion of my audioholic life, I have worked in the retail A/V sales buisness (this has meant that I have received free equipment as prizes, special accomadation pricing from the manufactures, close-out specials from work,etc.).I started with a denon avr2500 went to yamaha rcvr when DD first came about (with LD FIRST, THEN DVD)have gone back and forth between those two brands ever since untill I did rotel then B&K (STILL HAVE AVR507 & REF200.2)....Have had matched pkgs from Klipsch ,Boston, Paradigm, Mirage, Polk, and now am about to go again to a polk system around lsi15's....I have a bedroom system which is a Mission 772- matched set-up w/ a rxv2400
My Main system has 2 DV5900M'S (KENWOOD SOVERIGN DVD CHANGERS)managed by a kenwood Entre (an escient designed media mngr....the cds/mp3s/dvds can be viewed from any tv in the house (via a modulator) and IR REPEATERS LET MY PRONTO'S CONTROL WHOLE-HOUSE AUDIO THROUGH an AV1260 B&K AMP THAT DRIVES many sets of speakers from differant mnfgrs both inside and outside the house...I have sat-tivo and a dvd-burner as well as my pc running into my system, and a ES SACD player...I am very close (finally ) to virtual satisfaction...WHEN i UPGRADE MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS HOVER AROUND BEFORE i HIT e-bay!

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Frank,

You are more than welcome -- a good time was had by all. I thought the demo would be too much for your one-year-old, but she just clapped along for the most part! What did your wife think? Did it convince her there's more than the KSW has to offer?

If you go with the PC-Ultra, I think you'll be upgrading your gear around it for a long time to come. To keep in line with the spirit of this thread, there are some pieces so good they survive multiple life cycles.

I try to make it to Papago at least once, and preferably twice, a month, so I'll be sure to give you a call. I'm thinking it's a good place for impromptu HT enthusiasts meetings, even if the sound system there is awful (beer and pizza make a lot things better).

I don't think Tom frequents this board, but I'll check with him (I'm sure it's OK, but it's the polite thing to do) and pass along his contact information.

-Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks