What's new

CAN-CAN 1960 will probably never be released on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Well Oliver,you do make it sound better than TGSET but I,m not sure how much a compliment that is.:)
Oh and to show my devotion to 65mm ,I can also stay I have stayed the course several times thru the Bible-the John Huston version!!

I didn't say it was a great movie as that would go too far but and maybe it helped to go in with low expectations.

Oh yes, The Bible is something else, saw that one twice in 70mm and have not gotten around to watch my Blu-ray yet. So you get extra points for The Bible and obviously you will have to watch The Big Fisherman just because it is the last large format Biblical epic that you haven't seen :)

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The sound is quite good.

That may very well be but I had such a hard time seeing what was happening on screen that I did not pay much attention to sound quality. It was a rather misguided stylistic choice and don't get me started about the "snake". I still look forward to seeing it again but I will probably as always be happy when the Eden scene is finally over.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
As a boy when my father took me to see The Bible The Garden of Eden was the only part held my interest.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As a boy when my father took me to see The Bible The Garden of Eden was the only part held my interest.

Abraham's sacrifice of Isaac made quite an impression on me as a young boy! :emoji_astonished:

I just watched my Blu of The Bible not too long ago. It was my first time seeing it since I was a boy. We also listened to the soundtrack LP quite a lot. The score really came rushing back to me as I watched it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Tower of Babel is quite good.

I like the sharpness and detail in the Cain and Abel scene after the fuzzy scenes in the garden of Eden. The story of Noah was also quite funny, not sure if it was intended to be that way but I liked that one, too.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Honestly as a child I was bummed out that he didn't sacrifice the kid. Such an anti-climax. But then I was a kid who always secretly wished the hero would be knocked off in the end. They were so smug. I have the 2 disc cd edition of the score.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Yeah, that sounds like sour grapes from Kidd to me. The movie works just fine and offers the best of both worlds: the feel of Broadway on expanded indoor sets and stylized production design like a movie. Dropping some of the songs does make the film move better, but as someone who played Dr. Finsdale in a local production many years ago, I hated not to see "Oh Happy Day" in the movie.

I dropped it from my production, too. I felt the act shouldn't open with characters we haven't met and I also felt it gave away the reveal of the muscle boys later. Act two is much better begun with Past My Prime, at least it worked like gangbusters in our show, which, BTW, ran exactly two hours with the intermission - Li'l Abner on stage always runs around two hours and forty minutes. Michael Kidd was a wonderful choreographer and a not so hot director. You also might be interested to know that I have all the pre-records from the film and there were extra lyrics in the opening number (which is severely truncated in the film but was all shot) and I used the fun verse they wrote to introduce Available Jones.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
As far as I'm concerned Bruce,the first half is at least watchable.The Noah sequence is excellent.
The second half with a bored Abraham is interminable.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
That whole thing with the muscle boys is pretty bad. It's so silly it ruins the movie for me. It's in the stage show as well? Oy.
The only thing I saw directed by Kidd was The Rothschilds on Broadway and that was just a lousy show so I would blame everybody.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I dropped it from my production, too. I felt the act shouldn't open with characters we haven't met and I also felt it gave away the reveal of the muscle boys later. Act two is much better begun with Past My Prime, at least it worked like gangbusters in our show, which, BTW, ran exactly two hours with the intermission - Li'l Abner on stage always runs around two hours and forty minutes. Michael Kidd was a wonderful choreographer and a not so hot director. You also might be interested to know that I have all the pre-records from the film and there were extra lyrics in the opening number (which is severely truncated in the film but was all shot) and I used the fun verse they wrote to introduce Available Jones.

Those pre-records would be great included in a new CD of the soundtrack. I wonder if there is any chance of that?

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
From what I understand Roy really wanted to do The Big FIsherman, but Walt didn't, which is probably why it "disappeared" after it's theatrical run.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
There was a small window, but then Sony put out the soundtrack as it is via Arkiv with no audio restoration - the fact is, the album is mostly re-recordings, not the actual soundtrack. Believe me, I tried.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
That whole thing with the muscle boys is pretty bad. It's so silly it ruins the movie for me. It's in the stage show as well? Oy.
The only thing I saw directed by Kidd was The Rothschilds on Broadway and that was just a lousy show so I would blame everybody.

It is in the show. I helped it by not having separate muscle guys for it. Since the Dogpatch costumes didn't show physiques when we brought them on sans shirts in the little trunks it worked perfectly because being of today they were all toned and it made more sense and was more organic and more fun when they didn't respond to their wives.

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
Here is a scan from a length of 70mm Eastmancolor film that I have from CAN CAN. It's distressing to see what has happened to the color over 60 years. I certainly hope that color separation negs exist.
CAN CAN.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks