What's new

CAN-CAN 1960 will probably never be released on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Recorded It on FXMHD a few nights ago. It was the fifth film in 70mm Todd-AO. Looked pretty good except for the color breathing and shifting in some scenes. The opening titles were 2.2 but then it was cropped to 1.77 until the end titles that are 2.2. Strange they would do that when the 2007 DVD was 2.2 throughout. Probably from 35mm elements as there is no overture, intermission (does have the card though) or exit music. Really not that great of a roadshow movie - another reason it might not be restored to Blu-ray. Also, doesn't Disney own the Fox library of films?

John Skoda

Second Unit
I saw some of that broadcast too. The thing that occurred to me watching it was this had to be the ONLY completely indoors movie ever shot in Todd-AO!

Reactions: PMF

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Wasn't CAN-CAN a candidate for Blu-Ray release on that poll that Fox did many years ago? I presume they had (or would have) done some work on the title before release. The DVD is adequate, but barely that. Besides the color breathing, it's annoying that the Entracte is arbitrarily cut off before finishing.

When I am king, I will form The Department of 70mm Restoration, whose job will be to do 8K scans and restoration work on titles that, in spite of their superior original image quality, look dreadful (or non-existent) on home video.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Yes, it was a part of that Fox poll, but John Wayne ended up dominating the 1960s' choices.

Speaking of John Wayne, THE ALAMO will top the list for my new Department of 70mm Restoration, followed by THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL, CAN CAN, PORGY AND BESS, THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE, EL CID, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, STAR, RAINTREE COUNTY, BARABBAS, and I'm sure some others I have forgotten.

Anyone want to coronate me and make this happen? LOL (and a thank you to the KL Insider, who explained in his thread on the other forum that the rights owners' requirement for expensive 8K scans partially explains why so many large format epics are "epic fails" on video.)

Last edited:

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Yes to these restorations though I have my doubts we will ever see most of these in any decent format. I will be curious to see what the upcoming 4k disc of SPARTACUS looks like. Have you looked at the LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 4K disc yet? It is in my rental queue, but probably won't have it for a while.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I would add.. restorations for

The Cardinal
Lord Jim 70mm
Becket
Where Eagles Dare...don't know about this ones' status
The Music Lovers...hasn't arrived on blu ray. Original 70mm showings- blow up - were outstanding.
Hawaii complete version

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I would add.. restorations for

The Cardinal
Lord Jim 70mm
Becket
Where Eagles Dare...don't know about this ones' status
The Music Lovers...hasn't arrived on blu ray. Original 70mm showings- blow up - were outstanding.
Hawaii complete version

Is something wrong with the current version of Becket? That said, I’ll certainly second a proper restoration of the roadshow version of Hawaii, which was one of my grandmother’s favorite films.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
From my recollections Becket could look a lot better than the current MPI blu ray. The film was much cleaner looking in its original run as well as having all the Roadshow trimmings... Overture, entra'cte.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Is something wrong with the current version of Becket? That said, I’ll certainly second a proper restoration of the roadshow version of Hawaii, which was one of my grandmother’s favorite films.
Beckett in its current incarnation is riddled in edge effects and has some ever so slight color fading. Both issues need to be corrected and remastered for Blu-ray. UHD would be a nice touch too.

PS - Hawaii on Blu is a travesty - period. Awful looking gunk that ought never have made it down the pike. Ditto for The Greatest Story Ever Told on Blu. I would also champion a corrected West Side Story - main titles and those gawd awful edge effects during the opening shots.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I on the other hand would like Otto Preminger's Porgy and Bess but that ain't never gonna happen!
Seconded and you might be interested in this entry from the 70mm rumor mill on in70mm.com:

MAY 2019

"Porgy and Bess" 65mm and sound elements examined for possible preservation and reprinting

"Airport" 65mm and sound elements examined for possible preservation and reprinting

Not sure what they would want to reprint for Porgy and Bess that has practically disappeared from distribution. Maybe they just want to create some kind of preservation element.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
There's not enough space here to list all the movies that will never see the light of day on blu ray. Can-Can is just one of a thousand titles.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
There's not enough space here to list all the movies that will never see the light of day on blu ray. Can-Can is just one of a thousand titles.
True, but my original point was to highlight how large format films, which should look the best on home video, often look the worst. As is usually the case with message boards, the topic has morphed to include films shot in standard 35mm, where we do indeed get into the thousands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks