What's new

CAN-CAN 1960 will probably never be released on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
CAN-CAN on bluray would be great. Saw this film in Todd-AO numerous times where I worked , on our 60 ft wide and curved screen. It was so popular that it was re-issued a few times.Memories of the film were also bought back to me after seeing Leslie Caron,Louis Jordan and Shirley MacLaine on stage many decades after seeing CAN-CAN. Ah,the memories.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I would add.. restorations for

The Cardinal
Lord Jim 70mm
Becket
Where Eagles Dare...don't know about this ones' status
The Music Lovers...hasn't arrived on blu ray. Original 70mm showings- blow up - were outstanding.
Hawaii complete version

Yeah, I wonder what the hold up with The Music Lovers is all about?

As for all these lovely big format films...Martin Scorsese's Film Foundation: you're needed!

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Yeah, I wonder what the hold up with The Music Lovers is all about?

As for all these lovely big format films...Martin Scorsese's Film Foundation: you're needed!

I didn't include THE MUSIC LOVERS on my list since that was shot in standard 35mm, only blown up to 70mm for exhibition outside the US.

But I agree that the film is long overdue for an upgrade from the MOD DVD available. I suspect the hold up can be explained in three letters: M-G-M.

I did contact the British Film Institute several years ago after they released WOMEN IN LOVE to see if they would do the same for THE MUSIC LOVERS. No plans, they said. (This is before WOMEN IN LOVE received a Criterion release here in the States)

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I saw Can Can at the Fox Theater in Pomona when first issued when I was a kid. Don't know what kind of projection they had there, but I did love the film. Went back many times to see it. Not sure what appealed to me at that time, perhaps the color and setting.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Availability of Can Can in better than DVD quality seems to be quite good, would be interesting to know if those version are all in the original aspect ratio:
It was also aired on HDNet years ago and that version had the 2.2:1 aspect ratio and for the time looked quite good.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Seconded and you might be interested in this entry from the 70mm rumor mill on in70mm.com:

MAY 2019

"Porgy and Bess" 65mm and sound elements examined for possible preservation and reprinting

"Airport" 65mm and sound elements examined for possible preservation and reprinting

Not sure what they would want to reprint for Porgy and Bess that has practically disappeared from distribution. Maybe they just want to create some kind of preservation element.
Well according to Wiki “In 2011, the film was chosen for inclusion in the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress” so that would make sense.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Not sure that the Todd-AO credit is that significant as it is an integral part of the opening credits, it would have been difficult to cut it out. Can-Can (1960).ts_20200619_201854.585.png

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I thought 2001 was shot entirely indoors as well. Are there a few establishing shots during the Dawn of Man shot outside? I was stunned that most of that segment was shot indoors.

My Fair Lady was shot entirely indoors(maybe I shouldn't stake my life on it) though Beaton begged for it to be shot on location for authenticity. More likely probably to be close to his home and friends.

Does the entire roadshow Hawaii even exist? And why was this movie not filmed in 70mm and 6 track stereo? I find it incredible that as a roadshow film it was presented in mono. I don't think even any of the roadshow ads claim (blow up)70mm or stereo sound.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
And why can't billionaires like Spielberg and Lucas pay for these restorations? Lucas probably makes in a day what it would cost to restore an entire 70mm film. I guess Hollywood history isn't a real concern for them. They could have easily supported Reynolds bid for a Hollywood costume museum. What a lost opportunity that was.
And how ironic is it that they've made their fortunes cannibalizing Hollywood's history.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
On the DVD of DOCTOR DOLITTLE, from a 35mm source obviously, they repeat the "Color by DeLuxe" credit twice because they needed to fill the missing Todd-AO credit screen with something!

I noticed that when it was on The Disney Channel in the 1990s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks