What's new

CAN-CAN 1960 will probably never be released on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Does the entire roadshow Hawaii even exist?

The Twilight Time blu ray of the general release cut of Hawaii presents the roadshow version in standard definition as a bonus feature and it's in pretty rough shape. If you mean does it exist on film, it doesn't appear so. I stand to be corrected but I believe TT ported over the laser disc of the Roadshow cut.

ptb2020

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Trevor Bale
The Mouse is burying the Fox.
So true. Many great Fox movies will never be seen on Blu Ray as Disney execs only care about the bottom line, not Hollywood legacy or history. having read about how Disney interfered so much with Rise of Skywalker I despair for the future of Fox and the wonderful Fox back catalogue. Or Twentieth Century as we now are supposed to call this once great studio.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
So true. Many great Fox movies will never be seen on Blu Ray as Disney execs only care about the bottom line, not Hollywood legacy or history. having read about how Disney interfered so much with Rise of Skywalker I despair for the future of Fox and the wonderful Fox back catalogue. Or Twentieth Century as we now are supposed to call this once great studio.

Shawn Belston is still in charge of the back catalogue so that gives me some hope.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
For those who never saw the Laserdisc for Can-Can, it has a repeat scene in and out of an office. Fox's Heidi(Sepia)had a scene of Shirley going up a hill repeated. In the Can-Can case the first finishes the side and the scene starts at the start of the next disc. Great quality control at somewhere.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Shawn Belston is still in charge of the back catalogue so that gives me some hope.

And how likely is his autonomy to last at Disney, when heads have rolled all over the old regime since the Mouse House moved into the lair of the Fox?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
The Twilight Time blu ray of the general release cut of Hawaii presents the roadshow version in standard definition as a bonus feature and it's in pretty rough shape. If you mean does it exist on film, it doesn't appear so. I stand to be corrected but I believe TT ported over the laser disc of the Roadshow cut.

Hawaii exists on film in both cuts - but the road show 70mm is in such rough shape it would take a minor miracle, and a boatload of money to restore and remaster it. Not saying this 'should not' be done, but I am suggesting that in the Hollywood of present, that only makes sense of the picture-making biz in dollars and cents, this one makes no sense to restore.

And that's not only a shame, but a travesty and injustice to film art in totem. Were this a sculpture by Michelangelo or DaVinci's Last Supper, no one would be questioning the validity in performing a complete restoration. But celluloid has never been given that consideration. This one could likely be a candidate for The Film Foundation, UCLA, George Eastman, AMPAS, and, other indie investors whose constituents absolutely live, breathe and eat film.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
And how likely is his autonomy to last at Disney, when heads have rolled all over the old regime since the Mouse House moved into the lair of the Fox?

I guess we will have to wait and see about that but for now I would give him the benfit of the doubt.

F451

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Speaking of John Wayne, THE ALAMO will top the list for my new Department of 70mm Restoration, followed by THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL, CAN CAN, PORGY AND BESS, THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE, EL CID, AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, STAR, RAINTREE COUNTY, BARABBAS, and I'm sure some others I have forgotten.

Anyone want to coronate me and make this happen? LOL (and a thank you to the KL Insider, who explained in his thread on the other forum that the rights owners' requirement for expensive 8K scans partially explains why so many large format epics are "epic fails" on video.)

Wayne's THE ALAMO remains in limbo with the original large format elements fading away. As for the rest of your list, you are crowned -- make it happen.

I haven't seen a decent print of EMPIRE since its roadshow release -- most impressive on the big screen at the Hunt's Cinestage in Columbus, Ohio. TRAIL played bright, crisp, and clear in the town's RKO Cinerama Theater across from the state capitol building.

I saw the restored CID at Denver's Esquire Theater. The film began in mono. I reluctantly went to the lobby and told the staff this should be playing in multi-track stereo and was told older films didn't have that capability. I returned to my seat disgruntled. But after intermission, it miraculously played in surround sound.

And please, someone, Peter O'Toole and Petula Clark in GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS!

51ButgPV%2BQL._AC_.jpg

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Yes I'm beginning to think Warner is never going to release GOODBYE MR CHIPS. O'Toole has said he thought it was his best performance.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
And why can't billionaires like Spielberg and Lucas pay for these restorations? Lucas probably makes in a day what it would cost to restore an entire 70mm film. I guess Hollywood history isn't a real concern for them. They could have easily supported Reynolds bid for a Hollywood costume museum. What a lost opportunity that was.
And how ironic is it that they've made their fortunes cannibalizing Hollywood's history.
Lucas recently laid out a crapload of money to restore Mystery at the Wax Museum, a film at one time believed lost and also believed only to exist as a print in Jack Warner's personal collection. Not a cheap resto by any means, and it looks stunning. I don't think Can-Can is in his wheelhouse, TBH.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The restoration cost for Mystery of the Wax Museum was about $300,000. For large format, it would be way more.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I think Warner should also get right with the Lord on Ryan's Daughter - which was remastered for HD-DVD back when it was a thing, but somehow never made the migration over to Blu, even though Mutiny on the Bounty and Grand Prix, both HD DVD releases, did. I wouldn't rule Can-Can out, but, like so many vintage movies, the clock is ticking on how long surviving elements can hold out. We'll see.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think Warner should also get right with the Lord on Ryan's Daughter - which was remastered for HD-DVD back when it was a thing, but somehow never made the migration over to Blu, even though Mutiny on the Bounty and Grand Prix, both HD DVD releases, did. I wouldn't rule Can-Can out, but, like so many vintage movies, the clock is ticking on how long surviving elements can hold out. We'll see.
Wait; what? I know there was a 2-disc SE DVD issued in 2006, but I cannot find any record of an HD DVD release, and Warners' released their BD titles day and date with HD DVD.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
One of my most wished for 70mm epics was made by Disney, namely THE BIG FISHERMAN. Let's not forget that one.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Wait; what? I know there was a 2-disc SE DVD issued in 2006, but I cannot find any record of an HD DVD release, and Warners' released their BD titles day and date with HD DVD.
That is because there never was an HD-DVD release. It is possible that they had planned to release it back then as it looks rather similar in quality to Grand Prix so the master may have been created at the time.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
One of my most wished for 70mm epics was made by Disney, namely THE BIG FISHERMAN. Let's not forget that one.

Unfortunately this is one of the least wished for epics, you almost never read anything about it.

As I have a soft spot for it I would hope that Shawn Belston tackles it now that he is working for Disney, this one seems to be right up his alley. It has a very interesting production design and and for me it is good enough to stand beside other large format religious epics like The Bible and The Greatest Story Ever Told.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

Despite having 70mm installation where I worked, we only had THE BIG FISHERMAN in 35mm. I don't think that Disney had any faith in this film in 70mm. It was never a highly regarded film despite a great cast. It was also very overlong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks