What's new

Calibration question - How best to set speaker distance/levels (1 Viewer)

Mike+D

Auditioning
I have a Pioneer Elite DVD player and a Yamaha AVR, both have settings for speaker distance and levels. Up to now I've done all of the calibration and settings for distance and levels just on the AVR and left the player's settings to default with fixed channel levels. Is this the best way to go or should I setup distance on both? Levels on both? I'm assuming setting these on only one device is the best way to go.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
If you're using digital output on the DVD player then the DVD player's settings are bypassed and the receiver's settings and DD/DTS decoding chips are used. If you use analog outs on the DVD player, the DVD player is doing the decoding and using it's settings. Most AVR's have more adjustments and better decoders, but there always a chance the DVD player does better. You can set them both up and listen to see if you can tell a difference, most likely not.

Mike+D

Auditioning
I'm using both outputs since its a universal player, but the player's settings do effect both the digital and analog outputs because the player isn't putting out raw bitstream over digital. I can even hear it retime as I change the settings during digital playback.
So my question still stands, should the distance be set on both (i.e. did Pioneer intend me to do that) or is it "over calibrating?"

WayneO

Supporting Actor
So you don't have the option for bitstream?! to let the receiver take care of the adjustments, which is what I'd aim for. Otherwise your the best choice is to leave the receiver's settings all to 0 and setup through the DVD player.

Mike+D

Auditioning
But if all I adjust is the player than all of my other imputs such as cable and game systems won't be calibrated for the room. I believe the reason the player doesn't do bitstream is because it has better than avaerage decoders on board, not to mention DVD-A and SACD have to go through the analogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks