What's new

Pioneer Elite MCACC (2 Viewers)

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
Would like to get people's experience on how to properly use the MCACC feature. I have the VSX-74TXVi running with B&W 604 fronts, B&W LCR6 S2 center, and B&W 602 S2 surrounds. SVS PB12+ sub is on order.

1. PINK NOISE TEST TONES
What is the concensus on which test tones is best to use, receiver internal pink noise or AVIA pink noise test tones. I've heard that the test tones on the receiver are band-limited, while AVIA pink noise test tones are full bandwidth and should be used instead. Is that true or are they the same? I realized that it should be calibrated at reference level (0 dB) and reading on Radio Shack SPL meter of 85db for AVIA tones, and 75 for receiver test tones.

2. AUTO MCACC
After running Auto MCACC and getting the results for speaker settings, channel level, distance, Standing Wave Control, and Acoustic Cal EQ. Now the Auto MCACC will most likely set all speakers to Large. Go into Manual Speaker Settings and change appropriate speakers to Small. When changing speaker setting from Large to Small or vice versa, will this affect the Standing Wave Control settings, or the Acoustic Cal EQ settings?

3. VALIDATING CHANNEL LEVELS
Verifying Channel Levels with RS SPL meter. Do you go into Manual MCACC>Fine Channel Level, or Manual Speaker Setup>Channel Level, or is it the same either way?

4. STANDING WAVE CONTROL
Should this always be set to ON, and if so what should be set: MAIN, CENTER, SUB W?

5. ACOUSTIC CAL EQ
Should this always be used. If so, use ALL CH ADJUST setting or FRONT ALIGN setting?

6. MANUAL SPEAKER SETUP>BASS PEAK LEVEL
Best to set this to OFF?

7. MANUAL SPEAKER SETUP>X-CURVE
Should this be used or set to OFF. If used, do you use the chart provided in manual to make setting?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions, but wanted to make sure there was a process for all to use on these Pioneer receivers.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
1. I presume the AVR's tones are the best ones to use with its mic

2. Chnaging speaker size does not affect phase or Auto EQ.
You have to rerun these (in 'Keep SP settings' mode) to change them to suit the new speaker size. Or you cna just run the whole process with speakers set to 'THX' (which forces them to be small).

3. The speaker levels should read the same by either method.

4. Standing Wave control -- see manual

5. Always used. I use ALL CHA ADJUST, although I have also used 'Keep SP settings' I also use the 'regular' Acoustic Cal EQ rather than the 'Pro' default. See the manual for reasons.

6. peak level OFF, unless your subwoofer distorts at peak levels.

7. X-curve adjustment only works if you have a >5.1 setup AFAIR. OFF for me. Setting DSP to 'THX' (+ DPLII e.g.) applies it anyway.

I think most , if not all, of your questions are answered in the manual. It repays careful reading, of all footnotes etc.

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Steve S.

I did try to read the manual several times, but its hard to understand the dependencies between all the settings. I'll read it again and make sure to include the footnotes.

5. Where do you select it to use "Reg" Acoustic Cal EQ versus "Pro" Acoustic Cal EQ?

Thanks again.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
You select that in the second Acoustic Calibration menu window, I think. You may not realize it, but there is more than one page to this window...see the arrow near the right hand bottom.

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
You mean from main Auto MCACC window or from Manual MCACC->Acoustic Cal EQ window? Thanks.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I wonder if your unit is running a bit hot. Someone bought the 72 version, and he was concerned that his unit was running a bit hot. I am planning on buying the Elite 72TXV, but I want to make sure that these units are not going to fry at home.

Regards,
orestes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks