Cables MANY options so confusing

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Cadu Rey, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Cadu Rey

Cadu Rey Auditioning

Feb 3, 2004
    I am starting my home theater,and, as majority of us we have to balance between quality and price.

I already have a basic Progressive Scan DVD player with Video Component output. For my surprise I found Video Components cables even more expensive than basic DVD player.

I wonder how effective is to have an expensive cable for the image. Can a human being eye realize the difference between a cheap cable versus an expensive one?

Cadu Rey
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    Keep in mind that a standard-definition television is based on the limits of technology in the 1940's. You really dont see much difference from cheap/expensive cables a a 30 inch or less standard-definition television. This is where the idea that cables dont make a difference comes from.

Progressive Scan and HD video are a much-higher frequency video standard. A modern HDTV has a LOT more information per second than a standard definition television.

There IS a lot of sticker-shock with cables. My advice is to go to some of the custom-cable sites and get a quote for some HD rated component cables. Even long ones should run you less than $100. While the Monster cables are good - the HD rated ones are pricy because of all the marketing and retail mark-up.