What's new

Cables MANY options so confusing (1 Viewer)

Cadu Rey

Auditioning
I am starting my home theater,and, as majority of us we have to balance between quality and price.

I already have a basic Progressive Scan DVD player with Video Component output. For my surprise I found Video Components cables even more expensive than basic DVD player.

I wonder how effective is to have an expensive cable for the image. Can a human being eye realize the difference between a cheap cable versus an expensive one?

Regards,

Cadu Rey

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that a standard-definition television is based on the limits of technology in the 1940's. You really dont see much difference from cheap/expensive cables a a 30 inch or less standard-definition television. This is where the idea that cables dont make a difference comes from.

Progressive Scan and HD video are a much-higher frequency video standard. A modern HDTV has a LOT more information per second than a standard definition television.

There IS a lot of sticker-shock with cables. My advice is to go to some of the custom-cable sites and get a quote for some HD rated component cables. Even long ones should run you less than $100. While the Monster cables are good - the HD rated ones are pricy because of all the marketing and retail mark-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks