What's new

I need advise (1 Viewer)

itybitybob

Auditioning
Real Name
David Clary
I have a LG 55LW5700 TV, receiving my signal from Direct TV via their HD receiver box using a HDMI cable. (Box to TV)
I am using a Pioneer VSX 821K receiver with two shelf speakers, a center speaker, and two ceiling speakers. I have apparently never had them hooked up correctly. I am old and don't remember if the set up ever worked correctly.
I started getting a crackling noise in the left shelf speaker so I disconnected it a while back and have finally decided to see what the problem is.
I am thinking that my receiver is the problem. I have checked all connections so feel like I have eliminated that. I have checked all speakers and believe they are also not the problem. As I have played with this I keep running into times when I get nothing out of the receiver but that may be because of speaker A, speaker B, output from the receiver, as I am just stumbling with how to set the receiver adjustments. To many buttons for me to push. At this point I am pretty confused.
It seems to me that the receiver should play all speakers regardless of the "crackle" I have yet to get them all to work at the same time. So here's my questions. How should my audio be hooked up to my receiver? From the TV with AV cable? I am confused as to where to connect on the receiver. I am confused as to which settings I should have the receiver set to and how to adjust the receiver to get the programming to show on the TV screen. I sit with three remotes, Direct TV, LG TV,and receiver. I am not sure the receiver remote is working every time I use it as some times it won't change the volume. I just work my self into more confusion.
I guess my last questions would be do you think that I should replace the receiver and if so what would be a inexpensive option? I also have a Polk Audio PSW10 base that I would like to use if I decide to replace or upgrade. I only want surround sound with the five speakers and the base are my thoughts at this point. Hopefully some one has some thoughts and advise for me and I thank you in advance.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Possibly a blown tweeter. You said you checked all of the speakers but you didn't say how you did that. Just because a speaker can emit sound [white noise] doesn't mean it's completely healthy. Try switching the suspect speaker with it's twin [right shelf speaker] and let us know the results.

itybitybob

Auditioning
Real Name
David Clary
Thanks for your reply John. I have swapped the speakers back and forth and it's still "chirps" on the left side shelf speaker. I have even tried another speaker that I happened to have with the same result. I keep reading the manual and confusing my self further. I now have it hooked up with HDMI cable from Direct tv box to LG TV. VGA cables from Direct tv box video out yellow to video in yellow on pioneer receiver and audio out red and white on Direct tv box to audio in red and white on Pioneer receiver. I have the receiver set to TV/SAT and am now able to change the volume with the remote but the chirp remains. Right now the only speakers that are working are the front right, the front left, and the center speaker. The rear right and left ceiling speakers are silent. I still haven't figured out how to get the adjustment screen on the TV. I am thinking that it's a problem with the receiver.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It's been awhile so I'm not sure where you are with this. Re-reading your original post I noticed a few things.

1) How is the receiver connected? You said your satellite box is connected directly to the TV.
2) It sounds like you have things connected incorrectly. Yellow RCA connectors are typically used for composite video.
3) Your receiver supports HDMI as does your TV.

Generally speaking, connect your TV's HDMI output to the receiver's main HDMI input and then connect other output devices [Satellite boxes, DVD players etc] to the auxiliary outs, also via HDMI.

If that doesn't resolve the issue tell me more.

itybitybob

Auditioning
Real Name
David Clary
It's been awhile so I'm not sure where you are with this. Re-reading your original post I noticed a few things.

1) How is the receiver connected? You said your satellite box is connected directly to the TV.
2) It sounds like you have things connected incorrectly. Yellow RCA connectors are typically used for composite video.
3) Your receiver supports HDMI as does your TV.

Generally speaking, connect your TV's HDMI output to the receiver's main HDMI input and then connect other output devices [Satellite boxes, DVD players etc] to the auxiliary outs, also via HDMI.

If that doesn't resolve the issue tell me more.

Thanks John for your reply. This is what I did. I could not figure out what was causing my problem. I believed that it was my receiver but no one could tell me how to verify what the problem was. I admit I tied several ways to bring in the feed from my set top Direct TV box. HDMI directly to the TV. HDMI directly to the receiver and so on. I asked at a few sites and a fellow responded by the name of Dexter from Chructfields, that he thought I should replace my Pioneer receiver with a newer version Yamaha receiver. I realized that he is in the business of selling but at that point I had become convinced the problem was the receiver. I went ahead and purchased the receiver from them and was able to download an Yamaha app that lead me through the set up. The set up was painless. I just followed the instructions and every thing worked as promised. My problem no longer exists. I spent hours and hours trying different things and followed the Pioneer manual as best as I could. The manual was at the least very confusing to my seventy plus year old mind. I now have a Pioneer receiver that I don't know what to do with. I have to say that I am extremely impressed with Chruchfields and Dexter in particular. We received the receiver with two day free shipping and the transaction could not have gone smother. We are now able to enjoy our surround sound working as it should and my BP has returned to normal. Again thanks for you response.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I now have a Pioneer receiver that I don't know what to do with.
That's the nature of Home Theater. I have a spare [you name it] sitting around that I don't know what to do with. :)

Glad you got it sorted out.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have at least six receivers sitting around, with no idea what to do with them. Join the club. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks