What's new

Cable advice for B&W 600 series using Yamaha RX-V2200 (1 Viewer)

BryanEB

Agent
One of my cables just died, so I'm looking at rewiring my speakers. Also just got a new receiver.

I'd appreciate any advice for this combination:

2 B&W 602's (mains)

2 B&W 601's (rears)

1 B&W CC-6 (center)

Yamaha RX-V2200 (receiver)

I'll probably need a total of ~ 50'. I'd like to keep it somewhat affordable, but will spend a little more if it will make a difference.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
12 gauge Sound King available at partsexpress.com is quite affordable at something like 0.30/foot. how did your cable die?

BryanEB

Agent
It was a flat/bendable Audioquest cable. Seems like it got bent one too many times. I think I want to move away from the flat cable anyway.

Thanks,

Bryan

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The Home Depot 4x16 gauge stuff can be used either for biwiring or combinded in single runs and is decent at $0.24/ft. Belden 83030 is also good and you can order a 100ft. spool in red and a 100 ft. spool in black for about $100 total. Home Depot has 12 gauge stuff for $0.30/ft. as well.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
For me, trying to recommend a specific cable for someone, is like telling a woman what bra size she should wear.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
doesn't doing that Mark, seem that it would hide detail and not allow for proper definition?

BryanEB

Agent
I had read through some other posts similar to mine and it seemed that based on the equipment used, people would recommend specific cables.

Maybe I missed the point of this forum?

B

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I'm sure they did. It could be that no one that has looked at this thread has experience with your speakers and receiver together.

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan,

I've got the exact same speaker config as you do, and am also considering new cabling. I'm seriously looking at Audioquest Slates for mains and center and maybe Type 2 or Type 4 for surrounds. Some people seem to find them too dry, though, but they've got very good reviews.

I just think that going beyond that may be a little too much for our speakers, but like you I'd love to hear other opinions and suggestions.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have never had that exact combination, 38DD, but I formally owned a CC6 and still have P6s and I still have a couple of CDMs I am saving for the basement. I have also owned Yamaha gear and just set-up a 520 I bought for my brother and he is actually using double runs of the 83030 I made for him. I compared it to the Home Depot 12 gauge stuff which is now on his rears since it took about 30 seconds to determine the 83030 was better. I also had MITs that were orig. $595 for a 12 ft. pair and preferred the 83030 on that combo, although they were pretty close. Fortunate for you that B&Ws tend not to be as sensitive as some other speakers to many things. I put on his stuff using Radio Shack crimpable gold plated bananas that were $3.99/pair (catalog no. 278-321).

BryanEB

Agent
How would either the Belden 83030 or Sound King 12ga stuff compare with my existing stuff?
I have Audioquest Type 2 running to the rears and the F-18 flat cables running to the front. The F-18 is the one that broke, but I could just replace the one broken cable I suppose.
Just want to make sure I'm not going backwards here :)
Thanks again,
Bryan

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Don't know that much about either of those. The Sound King stuff looks like equivalent quality of the Home Depot stuff and is in the same price range. There are lots of different cables in this range of decent quality. For a several cents more than the Sound King, there is JSC Hi-Strand Audio Cable #5986 which is 4 cond. 16 gauge stuff. I will likely use some of it for the rears in my basement since it is easy to work with and compares very well to more expensive stuff. I hear that Kimber 4TC is not bad either. It may be best for you to go to a place that will let you audition comparisons. Your B&Ws are not that sensitive compared to some speakers and it also depends on how important music is vs. HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks