What's new

Burke's Law/Honey West (1 Viewer)

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Went ahead and pre-ordered a copy of this set from Amazon yesterday. I did this for two reasons.

1. From all accounts, it seems to be an enjoyable show that I will add to my evening viewing. I am no longer watching any new shows at all, and am seriously thinking about cancelling the cable completely and being my own programmer until some kind of classic TV station really becomes a reality.

2. I want to send a message to VCI that there is a market for older TV shows like Burke's Law, despite the major studio's like Fox concerns. If we support programs like this, Father Know's Best, and other sets coming out from smaller companies taking a chance on classic television, we may someday see shows like The Lucy Show, Petticoat Junction, Peyton Place, and maybe even finishing The Big Valley and countless others. There is a treasure trove out there of quality programming. Shouldn't we support those willing to take a risk?

Just my thoughts-

Jack

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
^^^

Jack, excellent thoughts, and I agree with you whole heartedly, especially with the idea of becoming your own programmer. I've been cable free for years now thanks to vintage TV-on-DVD and about 90% of my television viewing is via DVD. Money that I would have spent on cable goes to DVDs. I also encourage support of the independent companies as, with the exception of Paramount, the independents have become the major source for vintage TV-on-DVD these days.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
VCI Entertainment has posted (small) cover artwork for their upcoming release of "Honey West" on their web site's main page; there's still no confirmed release date (scroll down about half way).
VCI Entertainment: Home
Also, VCI is discounting everything by 33% at their site through March 24th; coupon code is EASTER.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Today is the release day for "Burke's Law" and I just received a shipping notice from Deep Discount that my copy is on its way. It'll be interesting to see how the transfers for this series look. Still no formal release dates from VCI Entertainment for "Honey West" or "Zane Grey Theatre," though.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Bob,

Thanks for the reminder on this one. I'm waiting for xfr review info before getting this release. That'll be the deciding factor for me.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Anybody get their copy of "Burke's Law" yet? Although it has shipped, my copy has not yet arrived and I haven't been able to find any online reviews of the set other than the worthless pre-release "reviews" at Amazon.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Bob Hug said:
Anybody get their copy of "Burke's Law" yet? Although it has shipped, my copy has not yet arrived and I haven't been able to find any online reviews of the set other than the worthless pre-release "reviews" at Amazon.
Unfortunately I can't help on this one. Money has been getting tighter and "Burke's Law" has been one of the casualties for me personally. Not that I don't intend to buy it. That's a given. It's just that I've put it in my wish list and am saving it in anticipation of a DD 20% Off Sale, hopefully to come in June. I just have to pull back a little on non-essentials. And while I'm excited and anxious to get this title, it's just not an essential on the same level as "The Fugitive", or "The Invaders", or "Rawhide." I'm just having to be a tad more discretionary now.
Gary "but I am looking forward to reading a review of this set" O.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Jack Cleveland said:
1. From all accounts, it seems to be an enjoyable show that I will add to my evening viewing. I am no longer watching any new shows at all, and am seriously thinking about cancelling the cable completely and being my own programmer until some kind of classic TV station really becomes a reality.
That's actually a good idea. I have been doing this for a while,(in small doses) and it's a lot of fun. On a few shows like The Incredible Hulk , and Dukes of Hazzard I even put the air dates together like they originally aired, and watch them back to back on Friday nights. :)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Gary OS said:
Unfortunately I can't help on this one. Money has been getting tighter and "Burke's Law" has been one of the casualties for me personally. Not that I don't intend to buy it. That's a given. It's just that I've put it in my wish list and am saving it in anticipation of a DD 20% Off Sale, hopefully to come in June. I just have to pull back a little on non-essentials. And while I'm excited and anxious to get this title, it's just not an essential on the same level as "The Fugitive", or "The Invaders", or "Rawhide." I'm just having to be a tad more discretionary now.
Gary "but I am looking forward to reading a review of this set" O.
Gary, you are so right (and thanks for responding) about having to prioritize your purchases and, yes, I hope that the DD sale will take place where, hopefully, I'll be able to pick up "Mannix," "The Invaders," and the complete "I Spy" series (if DD's current pricing holds, around $33 shipped for all three seasons). I was recently fortunate to pick up both volumes of season 2 of "Rawhide" for around $32 shipped from Barnes & Noble and, yes, with money a little tighter, I'm looking for deals. If one is patient enough, there are deals to be found.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Finally, a review, brief that it may be, of the visual quality of the new "Burke's Law" release. This is excerpted from Eric Paddon's Amazon review . . . . .

"VCI's release of the first half of Season 1 (16 hour long episodes) is first-rate, especially since they've never handled a TV series before for release. The episodes clearly come from the original 35 mm masters, and while not as sharp as the prints we see on CBS/Paramount DVDs, they look very good. Original commercials from the film prints have been presented as a supplement, similar to Image's later releases of "Naked City" while the end of each episode retains the preview for the following week's show narrated by Barry."

Other than his comments of VCI not having previously handling a TV series (what about "My Little Margie," "I Married Joan," and a few others), this tells me what I need to know; VCI has done a good job with the release.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Bob,
Sounds great! That gets me to 99% to blind-buy this set. I'm going to wait for your review before adding this one to a future order with a couple of other sets.
I like the fact that the Amazon Reviewer uses the CBS/Paramount sets as the "standard" for other sets in the late 50's-60's.
I also like the original commercials as an "extra" menu option. The "Naked City" commercials are really a kick to see. I watched one of those with Mom and she remembered several of the original commercials when Dad watched N.C. in the original airings.
Gary, it's getting tougher to wait this one out for a sale but I'll try :) I already have 11 sure-buys from BW S5, released yesterday 05/06, through the Perry Mason S3V1 set 08/19 .
It sure seems like the releases that are on my list, get released in "bunches".
Jeff "Assuming Bob's review verifies Amazon's review, this one will be in the cart at DD's sale along with several others" W.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jeff Willis said:
Gary, it's getting tougher to wait this one out for a sale but I'll try :) I already have 11 sure-buys from BW S5, released yesterday 05/06, through the Perry Mason S3V1 set 08/19 .
It sure seems like the releases that are on my list, get released in "bunches".
Jeff "Assuming Bob's review verifies Amazon's review, this one will be in the cart at DD's sale along with several others" W.
It is tough to wait, but I'm really learning to be patient because if you wait even just a little bit you can generally get much better deals than what you'll get on the day of the release.
Is your "BW S5" Bewitched? Because I think it was Season 6 that was released yesterday. If it's something else other than that you have me curious. I know we like most of the same stuff so I don't want to miss out on something that might have slipped by my radar.
I'm looking at things that I know I will buy going from recent releases I've yet to pick up and going up to that August date for PERRY MASON. I see no less than 17* sets I plan on picking up. And that's a bare minimum of things that are basically "must buys" for me. Yikes!
Gary "trying so, so hard to cut back and/or be very patient for great sales where I pay no more than 50% of the MSRP - except in cases where I have to have the show on the day of release [i.e. FUGITIVE, RAWHIDE, PM]" O.
*EDIT: Make that 18 sets. Forgot about "THAT GIRL" coming in August as well. Whew.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary, I goofed on that BW S5. It's Bewitched S6. Sorry about the confusion. 17 sets up to Perry Mason? I'm behind that :) I have 6 sets, aside from the 11, that I'm waitng for larger price drops.
I decided to wait for Burke's Law until a sale. I don't know what the "go" price will be for me on that one since it's not on my Grail list. I'm like some others here; I've slowed down the TV/DVD buying some since last year.
Gary you're sure right about the waiting for price reductions. It's just about a 100% rule that you'll always save $$'s by waiting a few months. There are a few sets that don't seem to drop in price much though. Strange.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bob Hug said:
Free shipping from Deep Discount has it's drawbacks; I still haven't received my set yet either, though it was shipped last week. But I also haven't seen this set locally in any brick and mortar stores; Best Buy, Circuit City, or Target. And what's the point of getting a great price at Deep Discount if you pay an extra $6 for expediated shipping? Sigh. Patience.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Glad to hear this release isn't a disaster a la Route 66. I will be picking it up too.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Hollywoodaholic said:
Free shipping from Deep Discount has it's drawbacks; I still haven't received my set yet either, though it was shipped last week. But I also haven't seen this set locally in any brick and mortar stores; Best Buy, Circuit City, or Target.
Wayne, that's a real problem for independent studios like VCI that are releasing vintage TV-on-DVD product; it's difficult for them to get shelf space at brick & mortar stores. I can't remember if it was Barnes & Noble or Borders, but one of them would not stock S'more Entertainment's release of "Make Room for Daddy" in their stores. So, you really have to rely on the internet retailers to get many vintage TV-on-DVD releases. Unfortunately, there's a segment of the baby boomer generation who would be interested in owning these types of shows, but don't use the internet and, as a consequence, don't even know that these releases exist.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Bob Hug said:
Wayne, that's a real problem for independent studios like VCI that are releasing vintage TV-on-DVD product; it's difficult for them to get shelf space at brick & mortar stores. I can't remember if it was Barnes & Noble or Borders, but one of them would not stock S'more Entertainment's release of "Make Room for Daddy" in their stores. So, you really have to rely on the internet retailers to get many vintage TV-on-DVD releases. Unfortunately, there's a segment of the baby boomer generation who would be interested in owning these types of shows, but don't use the internet and, as a consequence, don't even know that these releases exist.
No doubt, Bob. A few of us have discussed this issue on different threads from time to time. And it is a very real issue for these smaller companies and the lesser known shows. And that, by default, makes it an issue for those of us that enjoy vintage TV on DVD. Fortunately, I personally have never had a problem ordering online from any one of numerous places (although Amazon and DD are still my favorites). But for people that don't like to do this - and I can understand if they've had bad luck getting banged up product - it makes the hobby very tough. But money can easily be saved by purchasing online so I do it about 99% of the time at this point.
Gary "BURKE'S LAW will be in my collection, but I think I'm going to wait a few more weeks and see if I can get a better deal in June" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Gary OS said:
No doubt, Bob. A few of us have discussed this issue on different threads from time to time. And it is a very real issue for these smaller companies and the lesser known shows. And that, by default, makes it an issue for those of us that enjoy vintage TV on DVD. Fortunately, I personally have never had a problem ordering online from any one of numerous places (although Amazon and DD are still my favorites). But for people that don't like to do this - and I can understand if they've had bad luck getting banged up product - it makes the hobby very tough. But money can easily be saved by purchasing online so I do it about 99% of the time at this point.
Gary "BURKE'S LAW will be in my collection, but I think I'm going to wait a few more weeks and see if I can get a better deal in June" O.
Unless you're CBS Paramount and have some clout (and a great vintage product line), it's really hard to find vintage TV-on-DVD releases at the b&m's. Frankly, I was surprised to see Shout!'s "Father Knows Best" stocked (and, even more surprisingly, advertised) at Best Buy when it was first released. But, generally speaking, you're not going to find vintage releases from companies like VCI, Timeless Media, S'more, MPI and even a larger independent like Image at most b&m's. For anyone who visits this board, it's pretty easy to find information about vintage releases here, TSOD, or other sources, but if you're not internet savvy, you're missing out on a lot of great releases. With the exception of major studio releases and a fewer higher profile independent releases like "The Twilight Zone" (Image), you just simply can't find the variety of vintage shows at b&m's than you can at online retailers.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Hug said:
Frankly, I was surprised to see Shout!'s "Father Knows Best" stocked (and, even more surprisingly, advertised) at Best Buy when it was first released.
And this depends on the store - at the BB near me, they didn't stock this, I Spy or any classic TV titles. It's frustrating and makes impulse buying harder (which probably isn't a bad thing financially but limits the number of DVD "discoveries" one can make in stores)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary, Bob,

Great posts about the b&m vs online consumer. I posted something about that over on the "That Girl" thread. I think there's no doubt that the 'Boomer section of TV/DVD buyers that don't buy online are missing out as well as affecting the sales #'s, and therefore, possible future releases of these shows.

I've lost count of the times I've mentioned to some co-workers, when we're talking about the older shows, "That one's out on DVD". In every case, the reply is "Really?" Get Smart, Secret Agent, Combat, etc.

Wayne, about DeepDiscount, I agree that their free shipping can be a test of patience. I use Amazon for most of my buys and some from DD. I also use DVDPacific for a few. Regarding Amazon, you might want to try their "free shipping over $25.00" policy. I've found, like some others here, that their free shipping often is within a day or two of their 1st-tier paid shipping timeframe. I've received several Amazon orders on the day of a release or 1-2 days after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks