What's new

Burke's Law/Honey West (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Bob, thank you so much for the response to my question and for keeping all of us updated on these releases. It is much appreciated. I've caught a few episodes on American Life and these look quite good so I'd expect the DVDs to be quite sharp as well.
The episodes I've seen are much "campier" than a straight ahead drama like Perry Mason. That is not a criticism; it's what enables BURKE to have its own identity.
Someday I'd like to see THE DEFENDERS come back into circulation. It's a show that I've heard many good things about but haven't had a chance to see.
IMDB lists Frank Sinatra as appearing in "Who Killed Wade Walker?" episode, which is not improbable since Nancy Sinatra is a guest star and the description on the case states "Look for a very special guest in a cameo appearance in this episode." I've been unable to spot him, although there is a scene in which Nurse Dana Wynter tends to a patient (it's definitely not Sinatra) that seems like an awkward buildup to a gag that never comes. BURKE'S LAW had some interesting cameos (David Niven and Bobby Darin) during its run, but has anyone been able to spot Sinatra in this episode?
Charles, did you ever find Frankie in this episode? From your description it sounds like there's a scene that was chopped off. Was he perhaps in disguise?

Steve

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
OK you trivia experts: can you tell me who provided the sexy opening voiceover for each episode ("It's Burke's Law!")?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Steve...O said:
Someday I'd like to see THE DEFENDERS come back into circulation. It's a show that I've heard many good things about but haven't had a chance to see.
Steve
Steve, you can sorta see "The Defenders" courtesy of the Canadian label Video Service Corp. They have the two-hour "Studio One" episode titled "The Defender" that more or less served as the pilot. More info. here:
Studio One: The Defender - TV - Video Service Corp.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
No, Aaron Spelling was still married to Carolyn Jones at the time! Selma Diamond? With her voice- please! Does anyone know the answer?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Charles Ellis said:
? With her voice- please! Does anyone know the answer?
Susan Silo? I don't know who it is if it's not her.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I particularly appreciate the inclusion of the 'commercials' as extras. I love those things. As for "Burke's Law," well, I've always found the series to be a bit corny... yet on the more positive flipside, it's also pleasantly BREEZY. Along with the amusing dialogue and mind-boggling guest-casts, it does all add up to a pleasant package, and VCI did a really nice job (although I'll echo the need for slimpacks over these big ole boxes!). I'll definately grab any further volumes that are released.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
After all these years, I am still wondering why in heavens name did they change that breezy and fun mystery format of "Burke's Law" to "Amos Burke Secret Agent"??

I didn't seen any sign of Frank Sinatra in: "Who Killed Wade Walker?". They would not waste him on a hidden cameo. Most likely, at the time, Sinatra was probably announced for this episode in early publicity and dropped out.

Another showbiz myth like, Ann Sheridan being in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" or Gene Autry being in Bob Hope's, "Alias Jesse James". (On the other hand I did spot John Wayne in an episode of "The Wild Wild West". They used a "calvary comes to the rescue" scene with Wayne clearly leading the charge from one of his John Ford movies.)

For the mystery of who voices: "It's Burke's Law", I'd say June Foray.

I don't think the additional coming attractions are missing. They were not on every episode. My memory is that it was common network practice to have scenes for next week be on the first few episodes of the new fall season and then be replaced by regular commercials or coming attractions for other shows and cropping up again when the show ran short, needed a ratings boost, or had a special episode.

Another thing I am enjoying about "Burke's Law" are the references to Gene Barry's previous show "Bat Masterson". Counting derby and cane sightings I counted at least four references to "Masterson".

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Charles H said:
IMDB lists Frank Sinatra as appearing in "Who Killed Wade Walker?" episode, which is not improbable since Nancy Sinatra is a guest star and the description on the case states "Look for a very special guest in a cameo appearance in this episode." I've been unable to spot him, although there is a scene in which Nurse Dana Wynter tends to a patient (it's definitely not Sinatra) that seems like an awkward buildup to a gag that never comes. BURKE'S LAW had some interesting cameos (David Niven and Bobby Darin) during its run, but has anyone been able to spot Sinatra in this episode?
There's a guy in near silhouette tipping a very Frank Sinatra-style hat as he walks past the doorway in the background while Burke and others are in the police room in the foreground at about the 42-minute mark. That's about the only prospect I can find for a possible cameo. And in a subsequent scene we see policemen taking him back the other way under arrest. If he's in there, that's my bet. But there's no obvious or credited shot like the David Niven juggler moment in another episode.

Charles H

Screenwriter
One of the most prominent cameo myths is that the cast of THE MALTESE FALCON (Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Ward Bond, Peter Lorre, Elisha Cook, jr.) appear in a bar scene in John Huston's IN THIS OUR LIFE as a good will gesture to Huston. Walter Huston is clearly the bartender, but they are not evident in the scene. Jack Warner was careful to veto the participation of his contract players in these unsolicited cameos (e.g., Bette Davis in SHINING VICTORY) since he would have had to pay them. They could have appeared in an earlier roadhouse scene in ITOL, since the patrons' faces are not visible.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Back to the opening voiceover: I'm beginning to think that it may have been June Foray, since she did a LOT of voiceovers aside from her cartoon work. She's still alive, someone should ask her. Another possible candidate: Carolyn Jones, who was then married to the show's producer Aaron Spelling.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Charles Ellis said:
Back to the opening voiceover: I'm beginning to think that it may have been June Foray, since she did a LOT of voiceovers aside from her cartoon work. She's still alive, someone should ask her. Another possible candidate: Carolyn Jones, who was then married to the show's producer Aaron Spelling.
Okay, now, you see, from your original inquiry, we thought YOU knew and were quizzing us. And we didn't know so, hence the wisecracks. But you WERE actually wondering if someone else knew. Such is the lack of context in the email or posting format.
But I doubt it's June Foray. I just don't see Rocky the squirrel and the much more deep voice of this VO in the same octave kingdom. Also, Spelling was probably cheap and didn't want to ante up for a top voice character talent. But it doesn't sound like his then-wife, Carolyn Jones, either. It was probably a secretary or extra he paid a couple extra bucks to. And she's probably still waiting for her royalty checks.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I just received an e-mail from VCI.

Honey West will be released September 2, pre-order date August 1.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Great news, Tim! VCI hasn't even updated its web site to reflect this news, but I suspect they will soon do so. I will be very happy if this looks as good as the "Burke's Law" release. I don't suppose that they gave you any indication as to when "Zane Grey Theatre" might be released? They have a brief mention on their web site and a cover art preview on one of the BL discs, but that's been about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks