What's new

Built-in unit around in-wall speakers. HELP! (1 Viewer)

AlexR1

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
I recently got a surround sound system with 3 in-wall speakers surrounding my 70" TV and 2 in the back of my living room. We're considering getting a costume built-in unit along the entire wall. There are some companies offering the service, but won't explain in detail how it's done and won't answer questions about how or if the unit can compromise the sound of the system. The idea is to create separate compartments covered by acoustically transparent cloth for each speaker and the subwoofer.
We were told that creating a compartment for each speaker would compromise sound, as it would force the sound to come out in a straight line, preventing its dispersion. Is this true? We really want a wall unit for aesthetic and storage reasons, but not at the expense of sacrificing sound, the system was quite expensive and we would like to enjoy it fully. Is there a way to achieve good sound with such a unit? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm attaching a picture of a unit similar to what we're planning on building so you can have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Thank you!
image.jpg

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not sure why you’d expect that a cabinet making firm could answer questions about sound quality - ?

I’d agree that if you’re having this built over in-wall speakers then there could definitely be some “beaming” issues. It would be far, far better to get some small bookshelf speakers to sit in the slot where the acoustical cloth is, for all three front locations. That will have its own comprises, namely that it can impart a “boomy” quality to the sound, but a decent AVR with an auto EQ system could take care of that. Be sure and put the speaker locations down at eye level, where the books are now, and not up in the “nose bleed” section at the ceiling.

Also, having the sub dead center like that is about the worse thing you can do for low frequency performance. Locating near a corner works much better. Naturally you’ll lose the symmetrical look, but you’ll have to decide if aesthetics or sound quality is more important.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Agree with the previous comments. Worst case you could install your in-wall speakers into the cabinet frame and cover it with a fake door with speaker cloth. to get the look. Make sure they have an adequate plan for ventilation too. Most cabinet makers don't know the first thing about it and the few vent holes they drill will do nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks