What's new

Building subwoofer... Good idea or bad? (1 Viewer)

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Joey's got it down, IB's are easy, cheep to build and once you've heard one properly done you will throw rocks at any box sub.

4 Avalanche 18's did me a treat.

Zachery-C

Grip
Avalanche 18 is probably the most powerfull, followed by the turmaelt then the avalanche 15, and the dayton titanic 15in. The 1000w plate amp will be PLENTY....maybe overkill bass. An infinite baffle with 4 avalanche 18s and 4000w would be insane, but like you said, you have a budget..any of these drivers should be good.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I promise you will be pleased with the results. An Acendant Avalanche 15 in a ported box with that QSC amp should leave you giggling like a school girl compared to the car sub.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. What is your budget? Also how big is your listening room? You could budget more to your driver(s) if you use the QSC amp you already have.

Dan, I looked at the SVS website and was surprised at the low prices. No wonder everyone raves about them here.

Mark--M

Stunt Coordinator
Infinite baffle is out of the question for now. Maybe some time down the road when I get a more permenant home. I'm nearly decided on a Tumult in a ported enclosure, if its anything else it will be an avalanche. I downloaded the unibox design program and now have some questions about it.

I got some very nice results with a ported enclosure. Pretty much have this part of the program figured out. I can change all the variables and see the expected change in the response graph.

I cant get a decent response from a sealed box at all. I must be doing something wrong. Even when I type a huge number for box volume (like an IB) the low end response is terrible. F3 of nearly 50 Hz. Any idea what i'm doing wrong here or are sealed boxes really that much lower in terms of low frequency output?

Most importantly, how accurate are these design programs assuming the box is created properly?

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator

They are fairly accurate for anechoic response, but you'll have to factor in "room gain" to get a more accurate idea of how it will perform in your room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks