What's new

Car speakers to home theater system? (1 Viewer)

SoonerFan

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
I'm new to the audio world and I was wondering if it is a good idea to use car speakers as home audio.As of right now, I have 2 pairs of Kicker QS65.2's. They are the highest end mids/tweets from kicker and they have crossovers. I was wondering if it is a good idea to build enclosures (not sure how determine the size needed) and set them up in my living room. A family member is a carpenter and I would have him make the boxes to a specified dimension.I also have a kicker CompVX 12" subwoofer I might use, but I am not sure if it's a good idea.I have 2 amps, 1 for the mids/tweets and 1 for the subwoofer. As far as powering goes, I know I would need to get a dc power supply or something along those lines to power my speakers.So I guess my overall question is "Is it good or bad to make car speakers into a home theater system given that I have good car audio?"

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
From what I've read over the years a subwoofer is a subwoofer and car subs can be integrated into hometheater. Basic design principals would need to be followed. Enclosure size, etc. But don't ask me about them as I don't have a clue. Seek the advice of a subwoofer expert.

Car stereo speakers don't fair as well in HT since they are designed for a completely different environment. Look at how and where the speakers are installed in a car as opposed to a home speaker. The fact that they are "separates" is much better but the results probably wouldn't be that great. I know since I've tried it in the past on a few occasions. Cheap HT speakers still sounded better. HT separates can sound great in the car though.

My advice would be to sell the Kickers and use the funds to get some proper HT drivers or HT speakers. You can try it if you would like. You would only be out some wood and some time. But be prepared to be disappointed.

Using a power converter with a car stereo amp to power them is beyond my experience but it doesn't sound like a good idea. I'd use a proper 120 volt power supply (receiver, separate amp).

I just picked up a pair of Polk LCi65 in-walls ($75/ebay) which I'm going to dis-assemble and put into cabinets some day (year) and I expect the results to be excellent (providing I choose the correct size internal cabinet volume) since the drivers, tweeters and crossovers were designed for the HT environment. Or, if I can find another pair on the cheap I might slap them in my ole Jaguar and see how they sound.

But iIn-walls and speaker kits are a great way to get started in speaker building.

RBlack54

Auditioning
Real Name
RANDY BLACK
I'm new to the audio world and I was wondering if it is a good idea to use car speakers as home audio.As of right now, I have 2 pairs of Kicker QS65.2's. They are the highest end mids/tweets from kicker and they have crossovers. I was wondering if it is a good idea to build enclosures (not sure how determine the size needed) and set them up in my living room. A family member is a carpenter and I would have him make the boxes to a specified dimension.I also have a kicker CompVX 12" subwoofer I might use, but I am not sure if it's a good idea.I have 2 amps, 1 for the mids/tweets and 1 for the subwoofer. As far as powering goes, I know I would need to get a dc power supply or something along those lines to power my speakers.So I guess my overall question is "Is it good or bad to make car speakers into a home theater system given that I have good car audio?"
I don't think that you will have any troubles. I use a pair of 6 x 9 Radio Shack 3-ways car speakers in the carpeted wedge boxes as the surrounds in my 5.1 setup. I have them connected to my Yamaha Aventage 760 with 12 gauge Monster speaker cable and I have no issues. They provide plenty of bass and it surprises people when they listen to your system and find out what you are using for your surrounds. Good luck!

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
It may or may not sound "good" - only one way to find out. As for your amps - you don't want to try and use mobile audio 12v amps - I don't think you can get a converter strong enough to drive (especially the sub) amp strong enough. Just get a plate amp from PE and use that. Power your mids/highs from the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks