What's new

building a sub (1 Viewer)

Barry II

Grip
Anyone here have experience building a subwoofer? I heard of people who have do it and I'm wondering if I could get some pointers on what to do. First maybe picking out the woofer I want. I know I want at least an 10" sub. I can handle the other aspects later.

--Barry II

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Barry,

We have a DIY Section here on the HTF where lots of people
build thier own speakers and subwoofers and we would be
more than glad to help you out. Have a Moderator move this
to DIY or post one on DIY and we can go from there.

Joe Ku

Stunt Coordinator
There are many good options available but first a few questions for you to narrow things down a little:

1)What is your budget?

2)What are your size limits?

3)Do you have a wife(she probibly will have size limits even if you don't)?

4)Is it for music or home theater?

5)Are you trying to crack drywall or just add bass at a moderate level?

6)what kind of speakers will you be using it with? This one is not really important, I am just curious.

Barry II

Grip
Thanks for the response.

1) I'd like to keep it under under $300 if its possible. If I really should spend more I'll try to prepare myself.

2) As I'm looking at my monitor I'd say about its size or bigger. So: 19x19x19.

3) No I don't :)

4) 99% home theater use.

5) I'd prefer not to annoy other people in the building. Just add some nice bass to the movies I like.

6) Not big ones or good ones for that matter. Look at my equipment list. http://www.geocities.com/bjackson567/index.html

MichaelAngelo

Stunt Coordinator
"3)Do you have a wife(she probibly will have size limits even if you don't)? "

there's a sig in there somewhere....

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'd look at a DPL12 in a 75 liter box with a AVA250 amp for that budget and size limitations. You can get prices from several online vendors but here's one I deal with Creative Sound

More specifically...The amp

the driver

That's a little over budget but it would give you a very nice little subwoofer. From there just build a 75 liter bow with some solid internal bracing and stuff it a little and you'll be good to go.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
The DPL 12 driver recommendation confuses me. Why would you want to use a driver that is designed for dipole use in a box? You're not really going to gain much for the extra money, especially in a small enclosure. I think the Shiva would be more appropriate. Might also want to reconsider the amp. With a Shiva for $125, a 120 watt amp for $100 and the rest for the enclosure and finishes it's going to chew up almost the entire $300 budget. Being in an apartment and not wanting high volume levels that should suit you well. There's a lot of information on the Internet on building Sonotube subwoofers. That'll save you lots of time, money and later, if you're in a house, you can move the Shiva into a larger enclosure with more power if you want. Check Adire's website for specific enclosure sizes. Adire Audio
Whoa! Hold on. Parts Express has the 250W amp on sale for $99. Hard to beat that.

Joe Ku

Stunt Coordinator
If you act fast parts express has their 250 watt plate amp on sale for $99.00 untill 6pm tonight. I guarentee you will not find a better deal, and they stand behind their products 100%. If you go to www.partsexpress.com it is at the top of the page, can't miss it.

Joe Ku

Stunt Coordinator
You should be able to build a box in the 3 to 3.5 cuft (internal) range.

I would suggest a sealed sub if you don't want to wake the neighbors (as often anyway). But for HT ported is the way to go. If you plan to get a house anytime in the near future go ported, you will be happier in the long run. Passive radiator is out due to budget.

I would recommend the 12" dayton titanic MK-II available from parts express or the AV-12 from stryke audio for your sub. You can go sealed or ported with either of these in that size of box. The dayton does carry a 5 year warrenty if you are prone to blowing things up. The shiva is also nice I have heard, but can bottom out in ported HT applications; As will the titanic MK-I. If you go sealed you will be happy with any of the subs I listed. These will also all mate well with the PE 250 watt amp I posted above.

Amother good amp deal can be found at www.Rythmikaudio.com 350 watt plate amp with variable rumble filter and bass boost for $140

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The DPL12 actually plots out nicer in smaller sealed box's then the shiva does and its better built. The fact it was intended for dipole use really doesn't matter.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I personaly would be inclined to jump in on the current
Pre Order for the Stryke AV-12 (If the PreOrder is still on)
and go with the Rhythmic Plate amp or the Plate Amps that
John Janowitz (Stryke Audio) offers. The PE Plate amp at 99
is a hell of a deal but it's not going to sufficiently
power an AV12 (I guess in a ported enclosure it would but
not sealed).

If you went with a Shiva then the PE amp would be more than
sufficient.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
If you can get a DPL-12 for $125 and a 250W plate amp for $99 why wouldn't you? That would be the best

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The DPL 12 driver recommendation confuses me. Why would you want to use a driver that is designed for dipole use in a box? You're not really going to gain much for the extra money, especially in a small enclosure.
Sure you will, did you look at/model the specs? My favorite sealed box woofer, regardless of what Adire calls it.
I'd certainly second Andrew's recommendation, stick one in ~75l and get a nice little plate amp (I use a 150w model I got on closeout from PE years ago) and you'll be world-class. Try to get an amp with no boost/filter, let the driver roll-off on its own.

http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...artRow=1&CFB=1

Barry II

Grip
It seems like the argument here is over either the Shiva or the DPL12. There both the same price so which one should I get? I'm still not clear on what amp to buy.

--Barry II

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Since the DPL-12 has the better specs all the way around (despite the weight issue) and is the same price as the Shiva go for the DPL-12. In the same vein, the 250 watt plate amp from Parts Express on sale for $99 is an incredible value. With these two pieces I can't see how you could go wrong.

Barry II

Grip
I don't see that amp for that price. I see a 120w for $99 Part Number: 300-792, and 250watt for $120. Part number: 300-794

Joe Ku

Stunt Coordinator
The $99 250 watt amp at PE was the deal of the day, it expired at 6pm the day it was posted. Just to let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks