What's new

Bridge on the River Kwai - 4K & HD (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve got the Collectors Edition and 4K 60th Anniversary Edition. Why should I keep both? Yeah, the packaging is much better on the HD version, there’s a booklet, and maybe some other geegaws, but I want to watch the 4K. Are the disc extras on the blu ray also in the 4K edition?

old mole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
I’ve got the Collectors Edition and 4K 60th Anniversary Edition. Why should I keep both? Yeah, the packaging is much better on the HD version, there’s a booklet, and maybe some other geegaws, but I want to watch the 4K. Are the disc extras on the blu ray also in the 4K edition?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Iirc there's a documentary on the earlier edition that didn't make it to the 4k version. I kept both for that reason.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
The 1080p disc that comes in the 4k release is the same as the previous disc except for the disc label. I gave the DVD from the Collector's Edition to a relative and put the 4k disc in it's spot.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Still not 4K capable, but this comment from RAH kind of confirmed I didn't really need the 4K. https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4458804/

There is a noticable improvement in detail and textures over the Blu-ray in 4k projection and I imagine also if you sit close enough to your TV. Not that hard to see actually. It also looks more grainy overall and has a different look, more like a film print. I mean that in a good way.

Here are some caps to get a general idea:

I could have done without the HDR but overall they didn't overdo it so most of the time I did not even notice. I easily consider this the best available version of Kwai.

Between Kwai, Gandhi and Lawrence Sony soon will have three movies released on UHD that I would call epic vs. zero for all of the other studios. No Ben-Hur, Spartacus, Cleopatra to be seen or announced anywhere which is a shame. Gotta give that to Sony and I hope the coming UHD box set will sell out fast.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Spartacus is coming in June I believe Oliver.
I think the 4k Bridge is excellent.
Well done Sony.

Yes I remember it being mentioned but we are nearing the end of April with no firm release date so as of now I do not consider it a confirmed release. Hopefully that will change soon as Universal did just about everything right with Spartacus, it already is a magnificent Blu-ray release..

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The 1080p disc that comes in the 4k release is the same as the previous disc except for the disc label. I gave the DVD from the Collector's Edition to a relative and put the 4k disc in it's spot.
I just compared the two blu rays. The menu is exactly the same, by that I mean the same animation and the same list of special features. So I’m keeping the Collector’s Edition packaging, taking out the dvd and putting the 4K in there.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Yes I remember it being mentioned but we are nearing the end of April with no firm release date so as of now I do not consider it a confirmed release. Hopefully that will change soon as Universal did just about everything right with Spartacus, it already is a magnificent Blu-ray release..

Read somewhere that Spartacus is scheduled for end of July. But until it is officially announced we don't know for sure.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
There is a noticable improvement in detail and textures over the Blu-ray in 4k projection and I imagine also if you sit close enough to your TV. Not that hard to see actually. It also looks more grainy overall and has a different look, more like a film print. I mean that in a good way.

Here are some caps to get a general idea:

I could have done without the HDR but overall they didn't overdo it so most of the time I did not even notice. I easily consider this the best available version of Kwai.

Between Kwai, Gandhi and Lawrence Sony soon will have three movies released on UHD that I would call epic vs. zero for all of the other studios. No Ben-Hur, Spartacus, Cleopatra to be seen or announced anywhere which is a shame. Gotta give that to Sony and I hope the coming UHD box set will sell out fast.
Still not seeing enough to justify the upgrade.I also suspect some HDR futzing happened here, which is unnecessary. I would rather have Ben-Hur in UHD 4K, which according to RAH, may be a major undertaking if/when it happens.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I still have my Kwai (and Lawrence) DVDs because the package was incredible. It was a hardback, like a book, with a replica of the movie’s program. I have the blu-rays too, but I won’t part with those DVDs. That’s the high mark of physical media packaging.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
So you based your decision on a comment regarding a disc Harris had not even seen yet?
RAH knows the provenance. He's seen the elements and knows the history. "Not having seen the disc" is not as important in this circumstance, and I share his concerns over the use of HDR on an element that is not likely to possess the additional dynamic range to begin with.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
RAH knows the provenance. He's seen the elements and knows the history. "Not having seen the disc" is not as important in this circumstance, and I share his concerns over the use of HDR on an element that is not likely to possess the additional dynamic range to begin with.

I still don't understand basing a purchase(or no purchase) on a comment by an expert who has not viewed the disc. FYI I purchased the 4k uhd based upon other reviewers who had the disc as well as being 'future proof'.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Kwai on UHD Blu-ray does not even look like an HDR disc for most of its runtime which is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks