What's new

Look what $15 bought me today (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know, I have really fallen for digital downloads.

Today I bought 3 great films for a total of $15.

I watched Woody Allens' Play It Again Sam, available in HD for the first time anywhere. It had been years since I had seen this film and had forgotten how funny it was. This is also the first time I noticed it was directed by Herbert Ross, who has done other exceptional comedies. The transfer looked pretty good for the most part -- nothing special -- but a cut above the DVD release. This certainly ranks among Allen's funniest films. I highly recommend it.

I then sampled the two other films I also bought on sale...

Bridge on the River Kwai in 4k digital looks great. This is another excellent Sony transfer that just shines on the format.

However, nothing but nothing prepared me for what I sampled next...

My mouth just dropped to the floor when I sampled the 4k digital copy of Lawrence of Arabia. I have never seen anything look as beautiful as this transfer and that is no hyperbole. This is the definitive demo of what 4k is all about. It just looks so incredibly gorgeous. I couldn't stop looking at it. I am really amazed Sony still hasn't put this out on disc in 4k. However, I felt as if I was watching a 4k disc or something even beyond it. It's just striking to the eyes.

Each of these films is on sale today for $4.99 each. You would be crazy not to have any of them in your HD/4k collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Both, the Bridge on the River Kwai and LOA look fantastic on 4K digital as I viewed both in their entirety.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I got Kwai and LoA myself. It would be stupid to pass those up.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Just wait until you dip your toes into the highly addictive world of buying digital codes ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I got Kwai and LoA myself. It would be stupid to pass those up.

The studios keep pricing classic fare like this in 4k for $5 a piece and I'll just continue letting the money fly out of my pocket. I check the charts and maintain a wish list and I am buying more digital copies per month now than I ever have bought discs.

Just wait until you dip your toes into the highly addictive world of buying digital codes ;)

You will have to let me know where to look. I always thought these were hard to obtain since they must be in high demand. Not even sure what people are charging for the codes.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I picked up LOA on iTunes during a previous sale, but have not watched it yet. I attended a showing of the film last September during one of those Fathom / TCM events (was one of three people in the theater). So, I haven't had the urge to see it again yet.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I picked up LOA on iTunes during a previous sale, but have not watched it yet. I attended a showing of the film last September during one of those Fathom / TCM events (was one of three people in the theater). So, I haven't had the urge to see it again yet.
Fathom/TCM must do those showings for certain movies every 2-3 years because I remember attending one for LOA some years ago. It might have been five years or so.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You know, I have really fallen for digital downloads.

Today I bought 3 great films for a total of $15.

I watched Woody Allens' Play It Again Sam, available in HD for the first time anywhere. It had been years since I had seen this film and had forgotten how funny it was. This is also the first time I noticed it was directed by Herbert Ross, who has done other exceptional comedies. The transfer looked pretty good for the most part -- nothing special -- but a cut above the DVD release. This certainly ranks among Allen's funniest films. I highly recommend it.

I then sampled the two other films I also bought on sale...

Bridge on the River Kwai in 4k digital looks great. This is another excellent Sony transfer that just shines on the format.

However, nothing but nothing prepared me for what I sampled next...

My mouth just dropped to the floor when I sampled the 4k digital copy of Lawrence of Arabia. I have never seen anything look as beautiful as this transfer and that is no hyperbole. This is the definitive demo of what 4k is all about. It just looks so incredibly gorgeous. I couldn't stop looking at it. I am really amazed Sony still hasn't put this out on disc in 4k. However, I felt as if I was watching a 4k disc or something even beyond it. It's just striking to the eyes.

Each of these films is on sale today for $4.99 each. You would be crazy not to have any of them in your HD/4k collection.
I'm not a Woody Allen fan, but I might buy "Play it Again, Sam" as I remember hearing good things about that movie when it came out back in the day.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm not a Woody Allen fan, but I might buy "Play it Again, Sam" as I remember hearing good things about that movie when it came out back in the day.

It is very well done. I like the slapstick, outright silly Woody Allen (Take The Money and Run), but this film is more mainstream in the spirit of Annie Hall. It's very funny and you'll like it for the huge references to Casablanca.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ron, do you have the CheapCharts app? It’s a great way to keep up on iTunes sales. You can even make a wishlist of titles you want and it’ll notify you when they go onsale.

I just picked up “Houseboat” during this sale, also $4.99. I love the movie, and iTunes has it in HD, while it’s only on DVD on disc. $5 now vs maybe one day being on a high definition format disc for at least four times that price. Feeling pretty happy about that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, do you have the CheapCharts app? It’s a great way to keep up on iTunes sales. You can even make a wishlist of titles you want and it’ll notify you when they go onsale.

I just picked up “Houseboat” during this sale, also $4.99. I love the movie, and iTunes has it in HD, while it’s only on DVD on disc. $5 now vs maybe one day being on a high definition format disc for at least four times that price. Feeling pretty happy about that.

Oh, Josh, CHEAP CHARTS is my bible. I follow it religiously, though it's not always great at telling me all the titles that have dropped in price. I kind of get an alert about a single title on my list and then discover more have dropped in price as well.

I am usually game at $5 for an HD title or for a classic film 4k upgrade (like Lawrence and Kwai). My buying price for a newer 4k release is $12.99-$14.99 tops.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
You will have to let me know where to look. I always thought these were hard to obtain since they must be in high demand. Not even sure what people are charging for the codes.

A good place to start is right on your own site, Ron! ;)

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/forums/ultraviolet-digital-copy-codes.336/

Don't forget about Vudu's Mobile Disc to Digital program. You could be obtaining digital movies for as little as $2. 80% of my digital collection came from that.

Here are the available titles:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1IgK7tIEKngP59PUOs_lsF4P1hbSRIG71tgxncpu1Mws/htmlview#

It peeks my interest, but I rather wait for price drops as I have a trust issue in buying codes

That's certainly understandable, but know that I've been doing it for years and have never had a problem. Some of these people are HTF members, after all.

Typically on forums like this if a seller is not trustworthy they are quickly shown the door, so people behave as to not lose the outlet to sell.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah @Robert Crawford I will rarely buy the codes on new releases from the usual places like iTunes anymore.
I just picked up Dr SLEep for $8 oop. Our selling area has been pretty dead lately but the one over on Blu-ray com has been great for getting codes.

I've gotten dozens and have had no issue yet.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I recently purchased an Apple TV 4K. I do not own a 4K TV yet, but I plan on buying one later this year. If I bought a 4K movie from ITunes today would I be able to watch a 1080P version in the meantime? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question. Thanks!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I recently purchased an Apple TV 4K. I do not own a 4K TV yet, but I plan on buying one later this year. If I bought a 4K movie from ITunes today would I be able to watch a 1080P version in the meantime? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question. Thanks!

Yes, absolutely! The AppleTV will automatically play the highest quality version your current equipment can handle, and whenever you get a 4K TV, once you set it up the AppleTV will recognize you have a better TV and start playing the better quality version.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Only purchased a few Star Trek TOS digitally enhanced, not my cup of tea at all. Thank goodness still have the DVD or Laserdisc originals. I don't think I brought a film after seeing how bad netflicks is I mean bad I mean worse than the worse. I hate seeing digital noise and pixels so netflicks = no buy.

Amazon not seen too much on watch it now on Prime. Hardly at all now rent new movies. I find the streaming a bit iffy at times. Oh and the Star Trek movies on Amazon. Shockingly bad! With missing sound effects on some of the discrete channels. What is going on today! Thank goodness got the DVD or the worse bluray and the better Laserdiscs that don't mess with my head like the Amazon. What is Paramount's little scam up to? I noticed this with Star Trek III when the helm panel frizzles up, and "Nothing, Sir." there's no crackling sound the on stage right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks