What's new

Both PS2 and XBOX... What do you do? (1 Viewer)

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,

I am really thinking about getting an XBOX (I have a PS2 currently), as I would like to get some online games that the PS2 does not have. My big concern is what to do when a games comes out for both the XBOX and the PS2. So, for those of you out there, what do you do?

Is it just me, or does the online play of the XBOX seem to have more "support"...

Kimo B.

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
You know, I was just thinking. I could rent both, and buy the one I like the the best...... Man, one can think of many different reasons/ways to get something they want :)

Kimo B.

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
sup peeps.....

i have a hdtv so id have to go with the xbox for the better hdtv support.....

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
I buy the Xbox version except when the PS2 version has a feature to convince me otherwise . . . i.e. online play or Logitech steering wheel support.

Although frankly, most multiplatform games will be little different from platform to platform.

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so why do you normally get the XBOX version. I totally understand the higher resolution reason, but is that all? Are the games the same between the 2, play wise? Or does one box format have different options (and I dont' mean things like online play, but more along the lines of graphic level, different levels, characters, etc).

Kimo B.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I'll usually get the XBox versions, primarily for the Dolby Digital sound and the ability to save the games to the hard drive instead of a memory card.

Since I've had all three systems, pretty much all of the Gamecube and PS2 games I've bought have been exclusive to those systems.

Joel Hurley

Stunt Coordinator
-Kimo, If you read IGN.com at all, they generally campare cross console releases just about each week, including Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, and PC. Of course the results vary from title to title, but really almost always the Xbox versions come in 1st place or at least tied for 1st. (I'm actually a bit surprised that the PC doesn't win more often with the technology available to PC users)
In the end, The reasons for this dominace by the box consist of Graphics Superiority (480p and 1080i), Dolby 5.1 Sound Support, online components, and exclusive content.
-I not an xbox fanboy, just stating the findings of IGN's various comparisons. But I would suggest you visit IGN and try to locate some of these articles. Of course IGN is not the end all in choosing which console is the best for your needs, I just think that thier reports are a good tool that might help you.

AaronJB

Second Unit
I almost always play the XBOX version first. Dolby Digital 5.1 (or even 6.1, if enabled) sound on games like "Halo" is downright amazing at times. The XBOX also provides a remarkable amount of internal memory, so it'll be a long time before you need memory cards. Customizable soundtracks for some games is also a plus.

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, I will check ign.com. I guess my biggest concern is not getting the "right" version of a game... :) i.e., get the xbox version, when the ps2 version will be better. Or even worse, get the xbox version, and the upcomming release of the ps2 version is better :)....

Man, I think Sony and Microsoft are working together to take my money.

Kimo B.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I traded in my PS2...

I may have to buy it again though...NASCAR Thunder 2004's online ability on the PS2-only has me thinking about doing this. I'm just waiting to see what the exact online features will be before I do it.

James St

Supporting Actor
I use Xbox as my default system as well. As previously mentioned it usually adds 480p, DD 5.1 and the HDD for saving. Having larger hands I like the Xbox controller(the original one) the best. I find the analog sticks the easiest to use.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
On things that aren't very specifically developed for the ps2 it generally has a higher framerate, and it doesn't have the jagged aliasing problem.

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I have all platforms, and my XBox library is growing at a MUCH faster rate then my PS2 or GC ones. However, some titles (like those made by EA) sometimes are better on the PS2. I bought "Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2" on the PS2 after trying both and just liking the feel of the PS2 one better. Also, since EA has decided they aren't going to do any XBox-Live stuff anymore, that is also a factor (although personally I prefer Sega's sports line-up).

I also think that XBox is going full-force with their online strategy. I just haven't felt compelled to get my PS2 online, and the GC...well...Nintendo is looking more and more like they should just be concentrating on software.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks