What's new

Question for those who own both Xbox and PS2 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I've owned an Xbox for over a year now and just bought a GC for my 8 year-old daughter. For those of you who own both the Xbox and PS2....do you think I'm seriously missing out by not having the PS2? I'm not trying to start another Xbox vs. PS2 thread...just wondering what I'm missing out on as far as PS2 exclusive titles.

I realize that San Andreas won't be available on Xbox for several months. But other than that, it seems like most of the third parties are releasing on both platforms. I don't follow game news as much as I should, but that's my impression. Obviously, the Xbox is known for Halo, GC for Zelda. Is there some particular "must-have" franchises that are PS2 exclusive?

With the craze over the new PS2 redesign, it seems that used PS2s are getting very reasonable in price and I'm a bit tempted to get one.

Jeff

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Currently I only own an X-Box. I bought my PS2 on the first day it was released. Unfortunately it stopped working. Of course, this was during the "shortage" so there weren't any new units in stores for a few months. I waited, hoping I could just return it for a new one, but alas I ran out of the warranty period. There were many problems with those first units that I read about in various magazines, but of course Sony wouldn't acknowledge that fact so I told myself I won't give them any more of my $$$.

Anyway, that is the only reason I do not own both. By not having a PS2, you will miss out on both Gran Turismo and Tekken. Those are two excellent games in their respective genres. Gran Turismo is my personal favorite, I've lost many hours to that series. Happily I might add!:)

I'm sure there are more examples, but those stick out to me.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
GT4 is one game that can't be missed if you are a car nut. Don't forget Metal Gear Solid 3 and Katamari Demcacy too. There are also some "hidden treasures" like Onimusha 3 that I picked up for $14.99 and thats a good game too.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I really didn't want a thread like this. I seriously doubt PS2 games "suck". There have been numerous threads covering the whole PS2 vs. Xbox, and I see no reason to start another one here.

I was just curious as to what I might be missing out on in terms of exclusive games. I had forgotten about GT4 which is supposed to be superb. Metal Gear Solid 3 will probably make it to Xbox since #2 did.

Looks like I have forgotten about the Final Fantasy series also, which is PS2 only.

How does GT4 compare to Project Gotham Racing 2?

GabeP

Stunt Coordinator
ok, well, I love PR2, and I think if they make PGR3, it will be better than GT4. Also, I love the xbox hd, which the ps2 is missing. So, I don't think you'll be satisfied with a PS2, an xbox will do the same job better.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

Other than both games featuring cars, they're actually dissimilar products: one is an arcade-style racer, the other is a driving simulator. If you wanted to compare apples and apples, the matchup you're looking for is Gran Turismo 4 and Forza Motorsport.

My PS2 collection is proportionately larger than my Xbox and Gamecube collections combined. Why? Primarily for the system exclusives, secondly, my preference for the DualShock 2 controller over the Xbox's Controller S and Gamecube controller.

Platformers and RPGs are two genres where the PS2 shines. IMHO, there's nothing comparable to the Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper franchises on the Xbox or Gamecube. There are numerous RPG franchises which have been well-received on the PS2, including Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Star Ocean and Xenosaga.

As platform exclusives go, you have Ace Combat, Castlevania: LOI, Gran Turismo, the final two installments in the Onimusha trilogy, Winning Eleven (football/soccer), etc. If you want games that don't fit into pre-defined categories that are quirky, interesting and fun, the PS2 has a few: Gitaroo-Man, Katamari Damacy, Magic Pengel: The Quest For Color, Mister Mosquito, among others. Can't forget the EyeToy!

The PS2 has quite a bit to offer, if you know what you want and where to look. If you're looking for recommendations, I can prepare a list.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I sold my PS2 a year after I got Xbox for a couple reasons. The main one being that I never played it. the games I really liked were on xbox. like Halo, Star Wars, Project Gotham, Tom Clancy games. At that time, it was hard for me to deciede on because Grand Theft Auto was only available on PS2, but rumors that it was going to xbox made my mind up for sure. There was no reason for annother console to adorn my home theater when Xbox already dominated. But I guess it comes down to your wants and needs. What games do you HAVE to play, what games do you not mind missing out on? Ive never regreted my choice. The fact that I have to wait months more for GTA: San Andreas on Xbox is my only problem, but Halo 2 keeps me busy, and my mind off of it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Jeff,

It all depends on the titles, most of which other people have already mentioned. I have a PS2 and thought about getting an XBox, but ended up getting a GC instead since there is so much overlap between the PS2 and XBox.

The decision is purely whether you really need to get the PS-only games. I wouldn't mind an XBox, but there just aren't enough exclusives that I want to justify it (especially since games like Halo and KotOR are available on the PC, which I already have).

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
"...since there is so much overlap between the PS2 and XBox."

Aaron brings up a good point however, when you reach an impasse such as this, the next logical step is presentation... and Xbox delivers the goods in that regard.

Assuming my decision is based on titles I want but exist on both systems, I would choose the console that offers true 5.1 surround, better supported HDTV abilities, the ability to store game progress more easily, and faster load and screen rendering. In addition, unless it's EA, publishers tweak their games for graphics and performance for each console so the more capable console will usually have a better tweaked game (Rockstar's GTA for example, and all the Clancy games). As someone who has a rather elaborate home theater, these are important considerations since these features allow me a more immersive gaming experience, however, I realize this is not important for everyone.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
In addition to Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, and Ratchet & Clank, I would also highly recommend Klonoa 2 and Ape Escape 2 as excellent platformer games exclusive to the PS2. RPG/Adventure exclusives include Kingdom Hearts and Ico which I've enjoyed.

Another area that the PS2 shines is in the fighter genre: Virtua Fighter 4, Tekken 4, and a slew of Capcom 2-D fighters.

Regarding periperal based games, PS2 has Eyetoy: Play (with many new games coming out for it), Taiko Drum Master, and also some exclusive gun games (required to play on a non-HD set) like Time Crisis 2 & 3 and Vampire Night.

I'm like all three systems, but my least favorite is the Xbox. I'm not into First Person Shooters, or military/stealth 3rd person games. I'm keeping it mainly for the Sega exclusives (ToeJam & Earl, Panzer Dragoon, House of the Dead 2 & 3, Outrun 2, etc).

Romar Armas

Second Unit
No like playing games in widescreen HD with full in game DD5.1 sound? Being able to control your men through the headset and pinpoint precisely where your enemies are? The ability to copy music CDs to the HD and load it up with hundreds of songs so you will have your own mix in various games. Did I mention in game Dolby Digital 5.1 sound?

I thought this was the Home Theatre forum where people don't just watch but experience. After playing all of the games I have in DD5.1, I definitely cannot go back. Nothing compares to the rush you get taunting your friends on LIVE that if they ever pull that pin on the grenade in Rainbow Six 3 they will immediately disclose their location and you will be there and take them out in an instant.

GabeP

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Romar, that the whole HD and surround sound thing makes it much better. After all, isn;t this a HD home theater forum? Also, if your into baby games like PerryD, then get a PS2, but if you want fps, and great online play, all the hd capabilities, the graphics, the great controller, get an xbox.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Gabe Im having extreme trouble reading your text, so I wont, no offence, I get headaches enough by sitting at a computer all day. but I think I agree too. Xbox did it for me when I can hear enemies approach me from any side. One game that I wanted to get on Xbox was SOCOM. that wont happen, and Im ok with that now. The types of games I like have slightly shifted. When I played Enter the Matrix on xbox in 1080i, I loved it, the game was awesome, I demo'd it to a lot of people, playstation cant impress anyone like Xbox can, if hooked up properly.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, I haven't bought a Ps2 yet, but can understand your dilemma. San andreas almost drove me to it, but with the Xbox announcement I can hold off on a ps2 for a while. Still, there are a lot of great platformers that I haven't played (heard great things about the 3 Jak games, as well as the Ratchet & Clank series), but in the end it'll probably be Dragon Warrior 8 (if it ever gets released over here) that'll push me over on the edge on the Ps2. Loved playing Dragon Warrior 7 (until the second disc that is).

Essentially though, it would appear that unless you're looking for platform games, or Japanese RPGs, you should be OK sticking with your Cube/Xbox combo.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
I presume that Jeff's consideration of adding a PS2 was driven by the games available on the aforementioned platform, rather than the technical merits of the hardware.

Martin does make an excellent point: gaming is about playing games. While features such as DD5.1 deliver a better aural experience than DPLII and copying music CDs to the HD offer the gamer greater flexibility, their value is extrinsic because while it adds to the immersive factor, in some cases, they're unessential to the game's subject matter or to the core gameplay. There are many games that are aurally and visually mesmerizing, but how many of those are truly memorable? I hate making generalizations (as personalities vary), but those of us who consider ourselves old school gamers have a better understanding and appreciation of what makes a game truly 'special'.

Kudos to Perry for mentioning the fighting game genre. TECMO makes great looking fighters in DOA3/DOAU, but for deeper overall gameplay, it doesn't quite compare to "Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution".

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Agreed, but this thread is about PS2 Vs. Xbox, which by the way comes down to personal preferences. We were just weighing the differences on the consoles, and if the technical specs dont matter to you, then it comes down to your preference to games. Which is exactly what Ken Chui said above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks