What's new

Bose wins again!!! (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I was in a small nightclub a couple years ago and they had just purchased some Bose Cubes for the quieter area of the bar where the pool tables were. They still wanted some music in that area of the bar but not "dance floor loud". Due to how full the place was we ended up drinking our beers near the Bose cubes just above our heads. They tried pushing these things to a realistic listening level and I could continously hear the driver making a thunk-thunk-thunk sound and the highs sounded so shrill that my ears hurt. I knew immediaetly these things were not going to last a week after a few Friday night sessions. A bouncer was also standing right by me and he kept looking at the speaker all funny like. I noticed him glancing to the DJ and the DJ was reducing the volume of the Bose since he couldn't hear them over the dance floor speakers. So thats when I decided to tell him about the Bose marketing machine. He totally agreed and that these things were garbage for the money they spent they should at least be able to carry a musical note. I told him its a myth that their so wonderful and to look into some JBL or something for a replacment.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Michael:

That reminds me of when I was living in London!

I went to a sheek (sp?) pizza place downtown (DOcklands area IIRC) and they have a Bose system - but they scrapped the bass modual!!! It sounded like a clock radio trying to fill a stadium.

What sh!t.

Marshall_M

Grip
My Dad was going to get the bose system for the house due to its size and his perception of it being a good system. I convinced him to go shopping with me and audition some other sytems. He like the idea of the smaller speakers so we ended up picking out a Yamaha HT in a box and saving a couple thousand $$$. I feel it sounds better but has much room for improvement. I'm going to take my seakers to his house for Christmas so he can try them. I'm sure there will be a huge difference that even he can hear.

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator
I dunno why people bag on bose so much. In my opinion they do make excellent small cube style speakers.

Sound preferences are subjective anyway.

Rob Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Telling Bose fanatics it doesn't sound good is like telling religious fanatics their god doesn't exist.

Was at my Uni book store the other day picking up a couple of things. During check out the cashier was telling this customer how awesome Bose sounds. He was so enthused about how the Bose is so loud he can hear it from downstairs at his house, and also how he wakes up to Bose sound every morning. Of course, he mentioned how the Bose Cubes can bang with the big boys. Man, that's what I call a hardcore Bose fanatic.

Maybe I should cart my B&W 602s in and give him a demo next time so I can crush all his believes about Bose...

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Telling Bose fanatics it doesn't sound good is like telling religious fanatics their god doesn't exist.
Though in the case of Bose, that statement would be true. If you were looking for a way to get in edgewise to take a hack at my God, I just want you to know that I resent that very much. I don't suppose you thought you were going to get away with it that easily. Also, I think it's in the forum rules to not address hot-button topics like faith and politics on this forum and certainly not in this section of the forum. So let's don't.

RyanK

Auditioning
I happened to bring my wife into a mass market store a couple of years ago when looking at pricing for the current models of Denon and Yamaha receivers. She spotted the Bose cubes and decided that was the type of speaker she wanted me to get for a home theater system because of their size. I didn't want them because of their sound, to me the sounded thin and unbalanced.

The best thing I ever did was to borrow a pair of the cubes from a co-worker and A/B them with my larger tower speakers (Acoustic Research TSW-610s) I had while she was watching Oprah. She could hear the difference for herself. To her, Oprah's voice changed dramatically. She described it as weak and thin. I had previously calibrated both speaker's levels using a sound meter to be "fair" to the Bose.

After this she dropped the size constraint on my speakers and put sound quality as the top priority. She's still not fond of them in the living room and told me to build a dedicated theater/listening room in our unfinished basement. I'm happy because I can add the Revel F32s back on my list of equipment to get.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Rory Buszka:
Ummm, way to overreact!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Those Def Tech speakers are not as small, but good alternatives.

We could go forever on the whole "my god" thing, but let's all agree to drop it and not the thread...IBTL.. high five.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Wow. After browsing through all 5 pages of this thread, it suddenly occurred to me: HOW TO LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD WITH BOSE!

Basically, part of Bose's massive advertising scam is all the shill reviews their staff posts on sites like Epinions, AudioReview and Amazon.

How do I know they're shill reviews? Just click "See all my reviews" and you'll see each reviewer's history. Well, if you look at the Amazon reviews 90% of the glowing reviews are by people who have never posted any other reviews, and people who don't even bother registering a user name so their post just reads "An electronics fan from..." Classic marketing department behavior.

So why not conduct a BOSE COUNTER-PROPAGANDA DRIVE and post scores of 1-star reviews of Bose products? Why not share our own experiences with, and thoughts of, Bose's crappy overpriced and overhyped products beyond this forum? This way we all get to vent our disgust at Bose while saving gullible consumers from their evil clutches.

You can also click "No" on Amazon's "Was this review helpful?" question under each review, for the shill pro-Bose reviews and "Yes" under unfavorable reviews. Bose definitely does the opposite for its shill reviews.

I am not as familiar with AudioReview and Epinion's ratings system, but this should at least provide a somewhat more balanced picture for the average uninformed consumer who might chance upon it.

Just remember to mention that you yourself have either owned the Bose product you're reviewing before, or someone you know has it and you've heard it, or you've demoed it in a store. Otherwise your review may be less likely to be published.

This would also be an interesting test of those review sites' integrity: see if they will publish your reviews, and how long they will allow them to remain posted. I have had a few of my anti-Bose reviews yanked after about a week, on Amazon. My guess is some Boser hit the "report this post" button and complained. Or maybe Amazon wants to keep its commissions from Bose sales.

Think of it as performing a humanitarian public service...

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

Honestly, I have had both of them side by side, and the Def Techs look as small (they are TINY) and they don't look cheap like the Bose. Also, they are a LOT sleeker when wall mounted. The Def Tech's sub is also smaller (wider by a FEW inches, but shorter and much less deep)

Also, the Def Tech's center is much easier to place.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though in the case of Bose, that statement would be true. If you were looking for a way to get in edgewise to take a hack at my God, I just want you to know that I resent that very much. I don't suppose you thought you were going to get away with it that easily. Also, I think it's in the forum rules to not address hot-button topics like faith and politics on this forum and certainly not in this section of the forum. So let's don't.

Not to push the issue but I agree with Rory. Politics and religion should not be referenced here...period

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Wow. After browsing through all 5 pages of this thread, it suddenly occurred to me: HOW TO LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD WITH BOSE!
It can't happen as Bose has enough disposable income to cream the competition. Let's face it when the entire am10 can be made with less than $50 worth of materials (which means a large spiff and profit margin so it will be pushed by sales associates and store), the market after sale, and the legal team they have then most businesses won't turn away income in the face of doing what is morally correct. It's very hard for a magazine to tell customers that product so-and-so which advertises once a year is a better buy than Bose and lose that income.

What will level the field is if American or even one country in the world could have a policy of truth in advertising that people could cross-reference thru the internet. What I would like to see is that products are forced to put labels on either the product or website that backs scientific proof. This is the only way that the average consumer will be able to get unbiased and truthful information but it won't ever happen.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
What will level the field is if American or even one country in the world could have a policy of truth in advertising that people could cross-reference thru the internet. What I would like to see is that products are forced to put labels on either the product or website that backs scientific proof. This is the only way that the average consumer will be able to get unbiased and truthful information but it won't ever happen
I can't agree with you more.

However, to stick closer to reality, a little grassroots activity such as subverting the already-corrupted Internet review system at Amazon, Epinions, and Audioreview wouldn't hurt. At the very least it would be more productive than just venting to the converted on forums like this.

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
However, to stick closer to reality, a little grassroots activity such as subverting the already-corrupted Internet review system at Amazon, Epinions, and Audioreview wouldn't hurt. At the very least it would be more productive than just venting to the converted on forums like this.
Wow, I really agree with you there!! It bugs me to no end that I can't really trust Audioreview and Amazon's reviews, they are such great services sans the corruption!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I find it amazing that Bose has such a large market share copaired to so many other companies. Who is buying Bose anyway I have not seen much of Bose in people homes. Every time I see one of there commercials or go into a store that has music playing through some bose cubes, I laugh my but off :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
God forbid if most of the speaker manufacturers end up making junk like Bose just because they think they sell. If I wanted nice headphones I would get Senhiesers, not Bose. If I wanted to buy great speakers there are alot of good choices, but not Bose. I definantly would not buy a gutless all in one Bose :thumbsdown:
Bose's commercials are nice to laugh at. I would love to know why they try to market there product, like they can make a micro speaker that can do everything a larger speaker can do. Bose trys to make us think they can cheat physics but they can not! For Bose to market there product on engeneering is laughable! It's really sad when you take cheapy mini paper speakers and plastic tubes and call it better sound through engeneering, lmao.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
It bugs me to no end that I can't really trust Audioreview and Amazon's reviews,
Well actually there are ways around that.

Whenever you read an Amazon review, you can click on "See all my reviews" and look at the reviewer's history. There are basically two kinds of shill reviewers:

1. Those who make a living posting nothing but 4- and 5-star reviews, for instance "Harriet Klausner" who is Amazon's top-rated reviewer with a gazillion reviews or "Winterstone" whose 5-star reviews are often just copy-and-pastings of advertising copy.

2. Much more common are shill reviewers who have only one review in their entire history, and anonymous reviewers. These usually fall into the one- or five-star ratings.

I find that the 3 star reviews are more likely to have been written by real people. Also I tend to think that anyone who's written say more than 10 reviews on diverse products is more likely to be legit.

AudioReview I don't think has this kind of reviewer history record, I think Epinions does though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks