What's new
World Wide Stereo

Bose Is Boss (1 Viewer)

Mathew J

Auditioning

How is a Ducati better? short of my biased because it isn't japanese answer I could just quote their website in saying:

"Ducatis are born from a no-compromise design principle: they have always been developed directly from victory on the race-track. Japanese motorcycles on the other hand, are created with the functional necessities of everyday biking in mind; from there they are transformed into race bikes.
These respective design philosophies are completely antithetical."

Or I could use my own personal experience in saying that I have known many many bike enthusiasts who owned and rode Japanese bikes and all of them agreed that if cost was not a factor they would ditch the Japanese bikes for a Ducati in a heartbeat...often I would hear comparisons of ferraris to Hondas..then again I guess I could easily agree as for me and most of them a bike was a luxury purchase, not necessity...and I would never settle for a japanese car/bike especially if dealing with luxury/non necessity purchases.

I also think David's post summed it up nicely...with cars/bikes/boats and what not there is a good deal of "emotional attachment" that one has which is not tangible, I would never consider a Japanese car/bike or what not because I don't like them. But with speakers they either work or they don't work plain and simple.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
wasnt this about Bose?...

and brand loyalty?

If brand loyalty was a real factor, Altec Lansing would still be in buisness, Bose would never have started, and Altec and Klipsch would have been the only speaker companies here in the USA. As far as country loyalty in the car industry? shiat! look at one of the biggest right now. Dailmer-Chrysler. Didnt Chrysler engines go to war against Benz engines back in the 40's? Hello? So to say, 'I drive only jap (the correct term is japanese for all those that do not know) cars', means absolutely squat nowadays.
s

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Charlie, you address the membership like that again and it will be the last time you post here. But I agree that the use of "Jap" is odious and has no place here.

This thread has gone from interesting to pedantic. Time to let it wind down.

Andrew*L

Agent
What an interesting thread...just a couple of thoughts:

1. Cars and speakers are like music: Everyone has their personal favorites, ranging the entire spectrum. I love music, whether metal, jazz, country, classical, etc...as long its of good quality. Same goes for cars, bikes and speakers.

4. In most cases, the products we buy far outstrip our ability to use them to the fullest of their capabilities, even the ones designed for non-professional, consumer use. For example, any one here know and use every function in Microsoft Excel, or understand how to adjust and use every parameter on their HT receiver, or push the limits of their vehicle? On that last example, I'm sure many of you are thinking...hell yeah, but stop and consider whether the limit you've reached has to do with YOUR skill set or if its the limits of the vehicle you are really reaching. :D In summary, most of us have yet to fully utilize what we already have, yet alone "need", or take advantage of, the best of anything, stereo, car, or motorcycle.

5. I've had the most fun in 3 vehicles so far:

1985 rear wheel drive Toyota Corolla GTS hatchback, with a 2.0L 16V motor.

1991 Honda CB-1 400cc sport bike.

1986 Toyota 4Runner, with the 22RE 4 banger.

All of these vehicles I bought second-hand, for much less than many of us would dare spend on speakers, but each, in its own way has provided me with fond memories, whether it be throttling up to the redline on the CB-1, or zipping around town in the Corolla GTS, or 4 wheeling in the 4Runner. Spending more money, wouldn't have necessarily made those experiences any better.

Am I judging those who can afford to spend the money for the best stuff? Hell no! Enjoy what you have, whatever it is. Am I saying that my stuff is the "best" there is? Hell no, I look forward to trying new things, as design is everchanging, and improving. But if you find that the stuff you have far outweighs your ability to use it, don't be surprise if others aren't as impressed with you, as you are with your stuff. :b

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
But, Chu, I'm not necessarily blindly loyal to Honda or Kawasaki or Suzuki or Yamaha or Ducati or Triumph or Aprilia or Moto-Guzzi. I'm loyal to whichever machine is best in terms of performance. I've owned machines from all the Big Four, as well as from the original Triumph. Loved 'em all. Though the Triumph (a T-120R Bonneville 650 -- as I said, the original) leaked oil, vibrated, and was difficult to start cold.

Nan H

Agent
so did anybody see that bose "subwoofer" being sold on ebay that drew w is showing. it was made of acrylic, now i don't really like bose but i have to say i would buy that just for the "cool" factor. yes i know it would be a complete waste of money. i mean my computer subwoofer is a heck of a lot better than that thing, oh i hope i didn't get to far off the subject i mean talking about speakers and bose and stuff...:)

anyways as for bikes....i got nothing,(maybe a hayabusa) but as for cars i would love to see the old lead sleds and muscle cars to be back on the road again. but back then those muscle cars only thought about was raw horsepower and going in a straight line and forget about taking a corner at speed in one or trying to brake, today vehicles are alot "better" but in different way's they have to be fuel efficient, have crumple zones, more room in a smaller vehicle, able to last a 100k miles with no major rebuild, usually designed to carry 5+ passengers and even some have recycleable parts.

OK now back to speakers, my Friend has a really old pair of some off named speaker from the 60's they have a huge 15" woofer and a very large and wide horn. they have this "old, warm, big" sound to them it's not bad it's really quite nice. there big, a little ugly (compared to today's gear)and a little smelly, it's like these speakers have this character to them and they add it to the music i mean it in a good way, it's something you can't find in todays speakers even with the use of fancy EQ's, wires, amps, DSP, ect although newer speakers do sound and perform better it's still not the same......this could also go for cars for the old ones they sounded nice went down the road quickly but they didn't have cup holders or ABS like today's cars, just imagine commuting to work and getting 10 MPG compared to the norm of about 30 MPG in todays car. oh yea about Nissan.. the 350z IMHO may perform nicely but i can't see it being a sport's car maybe a sporty car, first the 350z just dosn't seem like it can compair with the 300zxtt (z32). the z32 just look better and even being a 14 year old design it will still get more looks going down the road, second it has no turbo, thats like having a home theater with no subwoofer or center channel. it is a Z after all, the 280z, 300zx(z31), 300zxtt(z32) all had turbos even the 240sx (Silvia) had a turbo option. third the 350z motor (vq series) may make some great HP in NA fashion but it's not designed to take the stress of a turbo compared to the 300zx (vg) motor which can be built in to a high HP monster and still a daily driver.

oops i'm ranting about cars.... i better ease up or i'll be doing this all night:)

cheers nan

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Those Bose subs look like paper-riffic trash. The only reason J6P likes the brand is because they see the $1199 price tag on those shiny cubes right next to the $40 Koss bookshelves at Sam's Club.
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

The R35 (next gen Skyline) is supposedly going to have a TT'ed VQ35DE with dual throttle bodies in GT-R form. Designs I've seen range from the current G35c with a wing to a funky looking face with the Z chassis. I'm pretty sure Nissan will still make it heavy as they can like they did with the ZX, which has to be heavily modded for it to be considered fast. I still miss this though:

http://nathan21singapore.tripod.com/speed/id8.html

Bashing Bose and talking cars is fun!

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
The Z32 isn't a sport car either, both are GT cars. The last real sport car Nissan made was the 240Z.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Did anybody notice the WaveRadio2 doesn't have aany buttons on the unit. You have to use the remote. I bet they cost alot when you need a replacement.

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
Fun reads about BOSE!!!

http://web.mit.edu/invent/iow/bose.html

http://www.bose.com/controller;jsess...eers/index.jsp

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...iews/540199306

"I've read in other reviews that if you use this to compliment mains other than Bose you'll be disappointed. Now I haven't tried this in a non-Bose setup, but I don't know why that would be true, because it's a clean-sounding speaker "

"I will never own anything but Bose again."

"I purchased this Bose speaker because I wanted better bass response than I was getting from my Bose system"

"I like what Bose produces and their quality and performance is always consistent"

http://reviews.iwon.com/pscAudioRevi...4_2742crx.aspx

"Go over your options with your professional installer, Bose is a different animal and changes need to be thought out or you'll end up worse off than you are right now. Bose sounds great when left alone because it is a designed 'system' instead of random components plugged together. You paid a lot of money for Bose sound, it would suck to spend money and go downhill"

"Bose isn't about making your ears bleed, it's about quality sound. How often are you going to listen to your system full-blast when you watch a movie?? How loud do you really need it"
[My personal favorite because I LOVE to crank my stereo. YES I need it that loud!!!]

"Yes the system is expensive, but you pay for the award winning sound quality"

"i've owned a few home theater systems, and Bose is the best yet. i know a lot of people often times base their purchase on sound level not sound quality. once you get passed the fact that you don't need 750 DB in your living room, you realize the genius that is Bose"

"After I first installed the systems it did not sound as expected; but after some adjustments to the angle of the speakers and raising the bass and treble in the setup menu the sounds is terrific... ...Top Gun sounds better than I have ever heard it."

"Enough of this so called technical people, for me still this AM15 is quite good its the only speakers you can use for VIDEOKE. I dare you to put your so called high-end speakers into test, hook it up for Videoke and tell me if it can survive the massive "plik-plok" and "feedback" of microphone, I tell you I've seen high end tweeters destroyed by a microphone feedback, anyway why be technical, did you bought those speaker for your personal test lab or for listening pleasure"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks