Need help with an exorcism (Bose)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Salley, Mar 17, 2002.

1. John Salley

John Salley Auditioning

Hi all,

I have a friend at work (who happens to be my boss) that just bought a Bose "Lifestyle 30" for a good chunk of change. He wont divulge how much, but I would guess $1,200?

He was at my house yesterday and he and his wife really liked my HT, and LOVED the ease of use with the Pronto. He immediately started asking questions about he Pronto, but slowly slumped in his chair when I told him he couldnt get one (due to the RF remote of the Bose).

After further prodding, the reason for the Bose was because "it sounds good", but the real reason is the "cute little jewel-cubes".

Does anyone have any other speakers comparable in size to the jewel-cubes?? I think that if I can find some, we may be able to convert another Bose victim. I figure I could get a 5.1 (or 6.1) receiver for $400-$500, and a nice suib for ~$300. That leaves me like $400-$500 for the speakers.

Any jewel-cube wannabes out there?? He has 90 days to return the Bose system........

John Salley

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

hmm, the JBL scs-135's are really small. they run about $250-300 for the center, mains, rears, and 8 inch 100 watt sub. you can also now get them in a spiffy new silver as well as the old black color.

3. BradK

BradK Stunt Coordinator

I recently fell into Bose's marketing trap as well. My wife and I both wanted to upgrade our gear, yet at the same time downsize speakers. Of course, the first speaker to come to mind was, you guessed it, Bose.
    I looked up Bose and other different electronics dealers selling them on the net, and was impressed with what they had to offer. They had just what we wanted, seemingly great quality, and the size we wanted. There really wasn't much point in looking at anything else, after all these were Bose. Bose must still be the awesome little speakers that we used to hear at parties back in the 80's, in fact they could only be better after 20 years of improving technology, right? And Bose is such cutting edge they trademark everything they sell so there is no imposters, right? Off we were to buy a Bose system.
    Wow, couldnt wait to hear them.
    There they were, a Bose Lifestyle system all set up in a cool little listening/viewing area. "So ya like Bose do ya" pipes up the zit faced salesman/boy as I was checking them out. I said, "well i dunno, probably, who doesn't?" "It's a nice system" he reassures me. "Sit down, you like the Eagles?" he asks. "Sure, who doesn't?", I say, as he puts in a disc and plays with some controls. Soon, Don Henley is singing about a dark desert highway somwhere, but it doesnt quite sound like I thought it should. I ask Josh the sales exec. about it and he says something like "well, it's a live performance, they never sound quite the same". My wife and I look at each other puzzled. I said "We have this at home on VHS, and it sounds better there with my old Polks!" He looks back at me as to say "why dont you go back home" then. After being totally unimpressed with Josh the salesboy's inability to answer some VERY basic questions with any sense of knowledge, we split, thinking if we buy Bose it wont be here. After having a little sense of insecurity about the Bose, I thought as we were driving around that I might look up Bose on some web forums at home and see what I could find.
    This is where I was introduced to this forum and boy am I glad. I learned that FOR THE $$$$$ you have to shell out, they SUCK. I read a lot of peoples opinions, and demoed some of the recommended brands. We went to a couple different places and ended up buying Energy Encores. They were heads and tails above anything that the Lifestyle system was offering, and it worked out much cheaper with the receiver that I bought as well. The Encores are a little bigger, but look a lot sharper I think, and sound much better. We had a fairly decent sub, so we only got the five speakers which cost us a $1000 Canadian. They come with wall mounts too, if going that route. Sorry for ragging on Bose, but trying to make a point.http://www.energy-speakers.com/encor...peakers_2.html

4. Troy Swope

Troy Swope Stunt Coordinator

ok all, just know this... I am a recovering Bose person myself, I had JUST PURCHASED a brand new Bose Lifestyle 35 system, got it all hooked up, it just didnt sound like a 3000.00 system should... so guess what... I found this forum, wound up putting my Bose system on Ebay, a gentleman bought it friday night, I shipped it yesterday, and all though it was an expensive learning experience, i should be able to take my funds, purchase a klipsh set (all the way around) a dennon amp, & then im headed over to SVS Ron's for some major sub stomping power!! wohoooo! cant wait.
    i said all this, just to say, ANYONE can fall into the marketing hype of BOSE, however, its not all that bad to get back out of... [​IMG] (thank goodness!!)
    -troy

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

6. Jacques C

Jacques C Stunt Coordinator

Not a whole system, but have a look at Gallo Acoustics (www.roundsound.com). Small, unobtrusive, and definitely a step up. Not sure on the cost, $125 a piece?
    Anyway, it is an option.

7. Ronnie Schildha

By all means tell your boss to return the Bose. I am a former Bose victim and the best move I ever made was to run from them. They are presently boxed up in a closet, and they have never sounded better. The JBL 135's are far superior to the Bose. I have the JBL northridge series, but I have tested out the 135's and they are pretty impressive for their size.

8. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

How about Cambridge Soundworks?
    They're offering a "Buy it Now" on eBay with their Towers and other speakers with a receiver for $1 700. Bloody good value IMO.
    Want me to post a link?
    The Receiver is a HK one. Easily upgraded. [​IMG]
    BOSE SUCKS! [​IMG]

9. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Oh, and Cambridge Soundworks also has the "cube" speakers. Hop on over to www.cambridgesoundworks.com , and check out what i'm talking about.