What's new

Bose Is Boss (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I mean "junk" quality wise. It was a poor performing vehichle that had numerous mechanical and engineering problems that would continue to resurface, no matter how much time professioanl mechanics worked on it.

During the summer of '98 my Harley-Davidson at most, got 800 MILES on it between major component failures. And thats not even include the 'minor' failures (like the time the gear shift fell off on the highway).

As someone who just stated all Japanese bikes are "utter trash", despite never owning, or even riding one!, I think you proved my point exceedingly well. The marketing branch of these companies has created a brand loyalty so strong that people who don't even purchase the product still buy into the marketing. Granted, I've never seen anyone with a Bose tattoo, but anyone who works at BestBuy can tell you that customers who purchase a Bose system are already aware that Bose "is the best there is" despite never listening to a Bose speaker.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Finally you guys are back on topic by including Bose in some of the discussions:D

As for Japanese auto being crap, you have the right to your opinion, but if it weren't for the Japanese coming to America you'd still be driving a 1978 Monte Carlo, Parissien(SP), or 1984 Dodge Omni!

Of course they'd be all new for 2004!

Oh and don't buy a "Pontiac" Vibe or a new "Chevy" Cobalt, or a new "Saturn" Vue they all have a Toyota or Honda engine!

B

Mathew J

Auditioning

Surprised you didn't add the Mitsu 3000GT VR4 Spyder, the Supra TT and the Skyline to your list....while there are a few exceptions which can be deemed "nice" (though I wouldn't say the RX8 is nice by any stretch, especally since they had the issue with overrating the HP yet again ala. miata and having to offer buybacks) the majority of the Japanese autos leave me wanting, and the companies themselves don't care about the sport car enthusiast groups, case and point Toyotas killing of the Supra and lack of a replacement plan. There are any number of vehicles which I can name in comparable price ranges that I would much rather own than those listed above (Especially the STI and the EVO as those are just plain ugly).

I guess it is a personal thing where I abhor Japanese autos and that also transcends into motorcycles as well...so contrary to Garrett's assumption it is "brand" driven, my distaste is more centered around local.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Toyota is more for the "soccer mom" market than anything else. Nissan/Infiniti is going back to its roots and making affordable sporty cars. I wish they would make a true sports car ala 240Z but I don't see that happening.

I own a Skyline GT-R but I'm not very thrilled with their current Skyline line-up (known as G35 here in the US). We'll see when the GT-R comes out what it brings to the table.

Mathew J

Auditioning

Taking my response out of context? I said they are garbage when compared to Ducati, is that something you are willing to debate? I am not saying they are not a good deal, great for those on a budget, or those looking for a nice savings...but by far they are not the epitome of Bike ownership, if anything they are nothing more than a substitution or something you settle for when you cannot afford something nice like a Ducati :)

And I still fail to see why enthusiasts gripe about the popularity of Bose or any popular product for that matter? would you be happy if a brand you all deemed as "good" came into the limelight and superceeded Bose? didn't that happen with Polk and now look at how "enthusiasts" view them? I have seen it happen more than a few times in enthusiast circles and the second a "respected" brand becomes the thing everyone wants the reputation amongst the purists goes down...you should be thankful you have options instead of constantly harping on that which you don't like. With Harley it is hard to complain/condemn a company that keeps jobs in the US, is popular, makes a decent product which appeals to those who want such an item (iconic)...I guess some people will never "get it" in that not everything is about value for the dollar, performance and or reliability...I would easily buy something which I know is more expensive, requires more maintence and is more finiky as long as it wasn't japanese, and the decision would be even easier if I knew it was made in the US.

Mathew J

Auditioning

Honestly I think I might prefer it if we could have cars from the 70s still being commonplace here, I just saw an amazing Boss 302 the other night with a full IRS conversion kit, tubular suspension arms, Kennybell supercharger, Full Roll cage and many other upgrades...would be much more interesting than the homognized crap we have on the road now. With re. the American versions you speak of, personally I also abhor GM with a very few exceptions (Corvette basically) so antyhing by them is a no no...strictly german for me and or "unique" american performance cars such as Saleens, SVTs, Vipers and what not..also the occasional Caddy and Lincoln, but an A4, M3 or some flavor Merc will always be my first choice which I could afford.

Mathew J

Auditioning

The only reason Nissan is "going back to its roots" is to save themselves from becomming the next Mitsubishi and having to file chapter 11, and as you said even their current offering of the 350Z while *nice* still isn't as good of a job as they could have done in going back to their roots. Their cross vechicles ala Murano and FX are hideous. Personally I am not the biggest G35 fan, not bad but still not nearly nice enough to get me to consider a japanese car...the only thing that comes close is the IS300 but those ricer looks are a serious turn off.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I'm just not a Toyota fan so IS300 isn't an option. Even if I was, it just isn't what I want in a car. It's ok for daily driving but there is just something seriously wrong in the handling characteristics of it (not to mention serious lack of power).

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
Well, this is certainly an interesting thread.

Starting with Bose, before I had any home theater equipment I thought Bose was the best thing since sliced bread. I heard a few of thier displays at Best Buy and Sam's Club, and compared to sound that normally comes out your standard tv speakers they sound quite good indeed. If I would have had the money back then I probably would have bought Bose and never looked back. To make a long story short, decided to look into some surround sound equipment to go with my widescreen tv. Did a web search for home theater reviews, and found this forum and a few others. It was then that I found out the "truth" about Bose, how they are overpriced and cheaply made. I then decided to audition other equipment, and wound up with some JBL Studio series speakers which are far superior to those little cube speakers, especially with music. Now I try to tell my friends about Bose and tell them to at least listen to other brands before spending their money.

Regarding cars, I prefer american cars, I personally drive a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. I don't like Camry's and Accord's, as nice as they may be I can't see buying one. Too "vanilla" looking to me. I'm not against all Japanese cars, I really like the infinity G35 Coupe and the Nissan 350Z. But if I was spending that kind of money I would get the caddilac CTS instead. But that is just me. If someone else prefers Japanese cars, more power to them. I don't see why it is "wrong" for different people to like different things. Which brings me to motorcycles...

If I was to buy a motorcycle, and I might within the next few years, it would be a cruiser. And to me nothing says crusier better the two words... Harley-Davidson. I don't blindly say I like all Harleys, but two of my favorites are the Fat Boy and the Wide Glide, but I'm leaning towards the Fat Boy. So why get a Fat Boy when a comparable Japanese bike can be had for less? Here are my reasons:

1.) Looks. I have looked at all the Japanese cruisers and while I think some of them look very nice (VTX and V-Star come to mind) I still think the Harley is nicer looking.

2.) Resale value. For whatever reason, Harleys hold their value better the Japanese cruisers.

3.) Harleys are "cooler". Now this will be subjective, but in general when people think of cruisers usually the first bike they think of is a Harley. The thing is, you are not just buying a Harley, but you are buying an "image". I can only speak for myself, but I would feel silly riding a Japanese cruiser. Just as I would feel silly riding an american sportsbike like Buell when Japanese sportbikes are so much better. Maybe some Japanese cruisers perform better then the Fat Boy, but that would not matter to me. I have no intention of racing the bike if I ever get it, I would just "cruise" around town, and in my opinion no bike does that better then a Harley.

So I am going to say that as far as speakers go, you can put up some numbers that show why other speakers are better then Bose. But I think when you start talking about cars and motorcycles, the numbers do not tell the whole story. Put it this way:

When I listed to Bose speakers, then listen to my Jbls I prefer the "listening experience" of the Jbls, which the "numbers" will back up.

If I was to buy a Camry, or another car I don't really like, even though it might be faster, more reliable or cost less, I would enjoy driving in my Grand Prix more, because I like that car. Now I'm sure the numbers are not on my side here. I'll bet the Camry is more reliable, costs the same or less, then a Grand Prix, and would be just as quick. And they are certainly more popular. So why do I still prefer my car? I have no answer that I can put in words, other then I feel better driving my car. *shrug*

And the same applies to motorcycles... if you prefer Japanese sportbikes to American sportbikes then there is no way you would buy a Buell, even if the "numbers" say it is a better bike. Just as there is no way I would buy a Japanese cruiser... but this is a good thing. The world would be boring if everyone had the same exact car, motorcycle, speakers etc.
:)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
David, I agree that a car is personal taste and what feels right for you feel right! Hey, I've driven lots of older domestic, and older imports, and the only cars I ever feel "at home" in my Honda Civics. I feel like I can get in and drive wherever I like wwithout worrying about getting there. Sure I love the looks of most Harleys, but I prefer a bike I can get on and drive without worrying about getting there. I call it "piece of mind"!

As it sits I'd drive the Honda Rune before anything made by Harley. Maybe not as passionate, but way more practical, and they look damn pretty.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
You should've sold him a pair of your most expensive Monster cable to top him off b/c of that!

I remember a few years back when I was in the process of converting my Polks into Paradigm references - I was at Fry's looking at their small showroom. The manager was prepping some Bose towers for this customer - and he was like "kid, prepare to be blown away!" So he did his little demonstration and the customer was hooked. I was like "meh, I've heard better." But he just ignored me and proceeded to lead his customer to the Monster cable isle... :angry:

Brad E

Second Unit

Mathew, just how is a Ducati better than a Jap bike? Very interested to know.
It is the Harley Davidson of Sportbikes. People who buy them know that there are many Jap bikes that are more reliable, and have better performance in every aspect. But they still buy them for the same reason people buy Harley Davidsons over Jap bikes. Because of image basically.
And no people don't buy a Jap bike because they simply cannot afford a Ducati. I can't believe you actually believe that.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Responce:

As for Camry's and Accord's being too bland - YES! Anything wrong with buying a car that doesn't break down, attract attention, and just lets you go to work and the grocery store in peace? Nope - thats why the Camry, Accord, Taurus, etc. have 8-digit sales!!! TENS OF MILLIONS OF CARS SOLD!!!

As for the new wave of Japanese sports cars, the 'rules' are different today. Cars need to be safe, solid, and full of legal cr@p to be sellable. I think they have done a great job considering what they have done.

I rode in a Subaru WRX STi piloted by a very, very good driver, and all I can say is SHUT UP until you can do the same - seriously. Get over 'ideals' and all that, as what is important is what happens behind the wheel.

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator

As far as your "shut up" comment, I'm not sure what or who that is directed to but everyone has the right to post here whether you agree with them or not.

The WRX is a good performing car, and is well regarded by all the major car magazines but I find it to be hideously ugly. I have no intention of buying one, or riding in one, whether or not it is piloted by a "very, very good driver" or not.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
The shut up was directed at people who sit in front of the computer all day and play 'arm chair general' with cars. Like speakers, don't voice opinions until you hear (drive) them. NOT directed at anyone in this thread.

There is no such thing as a perfect car, and if there was, it would be REALLY expensive and everyone would hate it because they couldn't afford it! (it happens all the time!) Personally, I have a soft spot for Porsche's, but it will be a while before I can afford one that doesn't suck. In the mean time, I can DRIVE with a STi or 350Z, and be safe, and not break down every few thousand miles. Like home theater, it is not about 'ewe, silver finish!', but about the sound. With cars, its about driving, not 'I don't like Chris Bangle!" (BMW's cheif designer, started with the new 7-Series for those not in the know)

I have never liked Ford, but I appreciate what the new Mustang might turn out to be, I am not sitting here "%%%% the new Mustang' or anything like that. I can understand cars for what they are, not what I think they should be.

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator

Ah, but this is where I must disagree. Everyone has different criteria that is more important to them when they buy a car. Some people value performance, others might value gas mileage instead. Some buy based on looks or image, others might buy based on how many car seats it fits inside. The point is everyone buys their particular car for different reasons.

And Chris Bangle ruined the new BMWs... in my opinion. :)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"but at least the new M5 will be hot"

I love the new 6 series coupe, almost as much as the old 633/635 CSi days.

B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks