Bose Is Boss

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Keiwana, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Keiwana

Keiwana Stunt Coordinator

Before I start, I am not trying to trash Bose. They have done this themselves(as it pertains to performance). Yet, I will admit that they have formula that working well.

Here is my Bose story. I am an employee of at BestBuy. Recently, I had a customer come in looking for bookshelf speakers. The customer informed me that he was leaning toward Bose, but he wanted to know if BestBuy carried anything "as good as Bose." In response, I hooked the Bose (201's) up next to the Athena the larger bookshelves. After several A/B demos with different types of music, the customers committed that the Athena's highs, midrange, and bass response was better. Nothwithstanding the previous, the customer still bought the Bose
    [​IMG]

What gives? Is Bose's voodoo that strong or is this a freak occurrence?

2. Gabriela Mendez

Gabriela Mendez Stunt Coordinator

I sold my 2 double cube Acousticmess and never looked back. "What's Athena, isn't that from the Zodiac warriors?". That would be a person's 1st impression. But if you have Bose, "Oh wow, Oh my god!". You know the drill, it's the brand, not the quality or the specs...

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Harley-Davidson also has that magic power.

4. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

He is probably is more concerned with telling people that he has Bose speakers, rather than sound quality, sad really [​IMG]

5. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

But at least they're pleasant to listen to [​IMG]

Mort

6. GrahamJW

GrahamJW Stunt Coordinator

That's really too bad. The customer passed up a good set of speakers. Always follow your ears when it comes to speaker shopping. Obviously, this customer did not do this.

John

7. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

I'm shopping for apartments right now, and of course the theater must fit into the studio (yeah i know, scary thought)... anyways, I tell the broker that i have a high end system, and that it must fit, and she was like, why don't you look at a bose system.... lol yeah right, "upgrade" from paradigm reference to bose. I had to contain myself in front of her.

8. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

I just gave my 10 year old Bose AM5's to my brother. In its day, when I first got it and didn't know all that better, I LOVED the sound of them, especially for their size. After a while I had to add some advent towers to fill in the sound (ran them both together). Although the sound was no where near as dynamic, detailed and powerful as with todays higher end speakers, I must say that it did have a very easy to listen to, non-fatiguing sound, whereas some of todays speakers can be a bit shrill...

But yeah, the cost/performance ratio is horrible. Its all the name brand illusion and marketing

9. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

10. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I wouldn't mind a Road Star Warrior myself. Now where's the "vroom vroom" smiley?? [​IMG]

11. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Yeah, while the YZF-R1 is nice and all, I bet it would be a bit uncomforatable to ride for a extended period of time.

I am still more of a car person.

12. Nan H

Nan H Agent

ahh, so you all want to know about Bose super secret voodoo magic grasp on all the uninformed consumers, well after you buy a Bose system for a arm and a leg (liver, kidney, first born child, etc) they'll send you a cd that they call there "sampler cd" that has subliminal messages to tell your Friends and to buy more... which will only play in dedicated Bose cd players or maybe it's the free bag of crack they give out as bonuses[​IMG]

BTW i'm being funny...

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I don't know much about old Bose, but the Bose setup in my '00 Grand Prix GTP sounds exactly that:
    shrill, fatiguing, hard on the ears.

I guess it's better than the stock system, but man, electric guitars hurt my ears at high volume - tinny and harsh! I used to think it was inherent to the instrument... before my Bose education I figured it was just the nature of the electric guitar.

14. Andrew_G

Andrew_G Agent

Bose?

My HD497 headphones sound better than the Triports, and they cost half the price.

Bose?

My logitech Z560 multimedia computer speakers sound better than that 800 dollar surround sound system that they sell that only has one speaker and one sub.

Bose?

Yeah, you get it - they just suck.

15. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

I did one of those A vs. B tests for a customer except it was between a pair of Polk R15s and Bose 141s (I used to own these for rears after being seduced by the "mystique" surrounding Bose!). After a quick listen and the same analysis as the Athena demo, they chose POLK!!!

And now for some senseless Bose bashing! Check out this blurb on their website...

"Be Sure It's Bose"

Before you purchase a Bose® product, be sure to verify that it is a genuine Bose product.

There are dealers, websites and online auctions currently claiming to offer Bose products that are not authorized Bose Limited dealers. The products sold by these parties may have defaced, missing or altered serial numbers and/or product labels, and they carry no warranty from Bose. Buying from an unauthorized dealer, website or online auction may be risky. These products may be used, counterfeit or stolen goods, and their sale may be a criminal violation in many jurisdictions.

To protect yourself from fraud, please check your product supplier by calling or emailing us. If you reside in Canada, call 1-800-465-2673, or email us. If you reside outside Canada, click here to find your country’s contact information. A Bose representative will check the name of the dealer or website from which you are considering a purchase and let you know whether it is authorized by Bose.

This is the official Bose.ca website. Should you wish to purchase a product now, you may be confident that you will receive a genuine Bose product, and that we encrypt your order and credit card information to facilitate a secure transaction.

Bose Limited
    9133 Leslie Street, Suite 120, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 4N1

To protect yourself from fraud ???
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

It's a status symbol. Almost all people who see the speakers in his house will be impressed that he earns enough money to buy such an expensive product.

17. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    Kenneth, funny that you say this, , so that is why I went from a crotch rocket to this, http://powersports.honda.com/motorcy...lId=VTX1300CB4

In getting back to the "power of a name" thing, there is always more to the story than the name. This is why I never fell for the Bose trap and that is why I won't fall for the Harley Davidson trap. A few of my Harley friends call my "contraption" a "rice-burner", but my VTX1300 hasn't failed me yet where their "American Made Harley" sits at the shop on the weekends. Some of us are just smart enough to not buy into a NAME!!! [​IMG]

18. BryanWeaver

BryanWeaver Extra

Just had to jump into the Bose thing.

1. The premium Bose system in our Miata just isn't premium. It sounds like crap.

2. I'm probably one of the few that have been to their factory in Tijuana. Talk about low tech, they have low paid workers hand winding components not because "handcrafted" is better, but because it is cheaper.
    I was there in an attempt to automate some of their low tech processes, automation costs too much for Bose so they didn't want to invest to come out of the dark ages. They are truely a mass market product.

Bryan Weaver

19. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

hey! my roommate has that bike.

it is a SWEET bike.

20. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

I recall reading that either Lexus or Infinity had an upgrade Mark Levinson sound system. Prospective buyers actually compained because they couldn't get Bose.