What's new

Bose Is Boss (1 Viewer)

Lev-S

Second Unit

Kudos to Lexus for not jumping on the "let's rip people off" bandwagon. Now if only these companies would straighten up...

Acura
Alfa Romeo
Audi
Buick
Cadillac
Chevrolet
Ferrari
GMC
Honda
Hummer
Infiniti
Lancia
Maserati
Mazda
Mercedes
Maybach
Nissan
Porsche

Pretty much everyone except Ford. Yeesh!

Nan H

Agent
i never liked the idea that many auto manufactures offer Bose as the "premium" audio package and usually this package will cost you an extra $800 or even more above the "stock" audio system. i believe if you want great sound in your ride, ask for the "lowest" audio package and save your money for a killer aftermarket setup. i mean even a simple aftermarket upgrade can easily outgun a "premium" Bose setup. i am pleased to see some cars offering mark leveston, monsoon, and even Boston acoustic as "premium upgrades" i would say that there a lot better than a Bose system, although who am i to say what... i have a Bose stereo in my car... but i bought my car for the car not for the stereo... (300zx)

cheers.

Andrew_G

Agent
My mom's mini van comes with Bose speakers in them and I can't even go in the car anymore without my ears being in sheer pain coming out of it.

The amount of shrill, harsh, and staticy noise actually gives me headaches.

My mom loves it because "It's a Bose, Andrew! It's the best of the best!!" :rolleyes

:thumbsdown: And we're not even close to rich. Bose has had such an effect on the market that now anyone with not too much knowledge of the field actually thinks you can't get better than them. Sheesh, I was out to buy some speakers at Circut City and the guy actually RECOMMENDED to me a bose bookshelf speaker over a Polk and an Infinity (Both speakers which I am huge fans of) - The guy told me to do a blind test. I knew immediately which one was the Bose, and he couldn't believe I liked the other brands better.

Sheesh, talk about false advertising :D

Greg.R

Grip
It is hard getting the word out. Folks at work grab the Fry's ad every Friday and discuss the various deals. My 2nd or 3rd week at the job my manager says "Man, I'd like to get a set of those $800 Bose" - and on pure reflex I go into a monologue about what he just said.

Well, he thought I was insulting the very heavens above and others jumped in to defend the pro-Bose sentiment. So I calmly answered all their questions and a few months later he went with Polks instead. I don't think anyone is brave enough to bring up Bose again when the paper comes around.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Back to bikes for a moment:

Best bike I ever owned. Could ride it crouching or sitting straight up. 1992 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Sportbikes rule.

I love all motorcycles from a theoretical standpoint. All the technology fascinates me. Touring bikes. Cruisers. Standards. (Remember when standards were, well, standard?) That new 2300cc Triumph is a fascinating study in internal-combustion weirdness. It outRunes the Honda Rune. (And outruns it, too.)

But, when it comes down to the personal — i.e., my checking account — it's sportbikes. End of story.

I want a motorcycle that looks designed more than it has been styled. Like a fighter jet. Which means ... sportbikes.

End of story.

Oh, and I love the Big Four. And Ducati. And the new Triumph. And Aprilia. And Moto-Guzzi.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and something else, from whenever we get involved in those subjectivist-versus-objective non-arguments in Receivers/Amps, I am enjoying Saporro on the weekends while drinking Tecate on weeknights. But all that changes over time.

I am even thinking of going back to St. Pauli Girl. Haven't enjoyed a chilled bottle of that fine German brew in ages.

Hmmm. There's that new Beverages&More store at Santa Monica and La Brea. Must pay a visit.

(If buying now, I'd probably opt for the Yamaha R1. Or the Honda CBR1000RR. Or the Suzu### oh, heck.)

Daman

Second Unit
nice bikes!!! A bike freak myself :) am going to check out a Truimph Thunderbird tomorrow, might fall for it ;) i own 3 bikes as of now.. 2 royal enfields(dont know how many of you might have heard of those- they are slow putters but nice for country side) and one 2 stroke Yamaha RD 350 which is 20 year old bike but still is zippy enough. Last year covered himalayas on my royal enfield.. here are a few pics.. excuse the last pic as the bike is very dirty due to rainy season at that time..

My Enfield 350

Worlds Highest Road - 18350 Feet

Ladakh in Himalayas

My Enfield 500 cc

Yamaha RD 350

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Daman, back in 1967 I got to ride on the back of a Royal Enfield 750 Interceptor.

Remember, in one of the first attempts to revive the Indian marque, 500cc vertical-twin Enfields sported the Indian logo on the gas tank.

Enfield is the U.K. make that everybody seems to have forgotten. Norton is becoming that way, too. Unfortunately.

Daman

Second Unit
Jack! I wish i was able to lay my hands on one of those interceptors, they were pretty fast for their time. You are right,when the company closed down in late 60's those engines left over from interceptors/constellations were marketed in US market under the Indian brand. Jeez, i wasnt even born in 1967 :) i guess those were the hey days of British motorcyles with Nortons,Truimphs,AJS and Matchless ruling the roads. Royal Enfield was comparatively smaller company than these but it was the first one to introduce 4 valve heads as back as 1927. Btw the model Bullet of RE is still built in India and is exported in single cylinder 500cc's to US as well. These bikes have been winning some local races as well. Check out DRS motorcycles winning Royal Enfield at Daytona DRS

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And don't forget BSA, Daman! Almost bought a Lightning in '71, but got a Triumph Bonneville instead. I've ridden a Norton Atlas, as well as a number of Commandos.

Daman

Second Unit
Sheesh... how could i forget the BSA :) that was up there with the rest of them. I guess Bonneville was THE motorcycle to own along with the Dominators and Manxes and Commandos at that time. The best thing i like about that period motorcycles were that they were tinkerable :D and to own such a bike you need to learn something about motorcycles and engines either because of the tweaking bug or trouble shooting.. How was the Bonneville compared to other choices you had at that time in terms of performance?? Also have you had a chance to ride the new Triumphs? Ive heard the speed triple is an awesome machine.. and then.. there are these awesome photos ive seen of new Honda Rune, have to see that one on street yet..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks