What's new

Bond 26 (2 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Moonraker is one of the few Bond films I have never seen. When I saw the poster with Bond in a space suit I just couldn't bring myself to watch it.

Moonraker wasn't great Bond, but it was better than several others. If for no other reason, its existence is justified by how much of it was wonderfully imitated by Brad Bird for The Incredibles.

And a name like Holly Goodhead belongs in a National Lampoon or Mad Magazine spoof.

I can't argue with that, but then, it doesn't seem to me much worse than, say, Pussy Galore. Or Xenia Onatopp.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It never occurred to me that anyone in his profession should ever actually like what they're doing. It seems rather a "lie back, close your eyes, and think of Mother England" kind of job to me.
It does, but then you're probably better off sticking with Le Carré over Fleming.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I know people insist it was outlandish, but I always liked Moonraker. The first three-fourths of the movie are classic Bond, and Moore is terrific in this one. Yes, the outer space stuff pushed the limits of believability, but no more so than the hollowed-out volcano in You Only Live Twice or the spacecraft-swallowing spacecraft in Diamonds Are Forever. Unlike Connery in those outings, Moore does not look bored in the role. And I’ll take Moonraker any day over the invisible car and frozen hotel in Die Another Day, which is the nadir for the series.

As for Craig, his first and last movies are great, but the three in between (yes, even Skyfall) suffer from writing that goes from bad to abysmal, not to mention the unrelenting grim tone and lack of levity. (And the whole plot of M as Bond’s substitute mommy would’ve made Connery laugh.)

There have been a few high points in the last 35 years, but I’ll take Bond’s first 25 years over anything that’s come since.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I can't argue with that, but then, it doesn't seem to me much worse than, say, Pussy Galore. Or Xenia Onatopp.
Or Honey Rider. I think many of the so-called excesses of the film series actually originate in the novels. Dr. No has metal hands and is drowned in bird guano in the book, while Bond engages in hand-to-tentacle combat with a giant squid.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Moonraker is very silly, but I think it's solidly made and has a consistency of tone, which is a lot more than you can say for the subsequent Moore and Dalton films, which lurch jarringly from goofy gags to harder-edged violence.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think Austin Powers showed how ridiculous the names had become with Alotta Fagina.

"Pardon? A whole lotta what, now?" :laugh:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Pondering Bond through Ian Fleming:

How did Fleming imagine what James Bond looked like? Like this...

Hogey Bond.jpg

Did he believe James Bond was a gentleman? Absolutely not. Fleming said Bond was "a cad, a snob, and a sexist" and this was what he loved most about his creation.

How would Fleming feel if you changed Bond from a cad, a snob, and a sexist? According to people that knew him, he would absolutely detest it. He did not want Bond softened in any way.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I think he'd be fine (and I did before seeing this).

Even if I didn't know going in that this was a fake, it was obvious from any number of shots. Still, it was amusing.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Henry Cavill is certainly a good actor. I wouldn't complain if it's him. But he's already done the spy thing with both Fallout and Argylle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks