What's new

Bond 26 (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My hope is for Bond, the man, to remain as Fleming created him. Change the people around him, but - aside from the really objectionable bits - leave the man the hero we have followed for decades. Let the world around him change and react to him.
IMO, the "really objectionable bits" are what makes Bond Bond. In 1962 in Dr. No, Bond's behavior would have been considered objectionable to may viewers. Some reviewers said Bond's morals were scarcely distinguishable from the villain's. Up to that time, if you made a movie in which a guy beds three women (one through subtle coercion) with no thought of marriage or a long commitment, he would be portrayed as a heel who gets his comeuppance at the end. Part of what made Bond a phenomenon was the unapologetic approach to his lifestyle. Guys watching Dr. No were thinking "he's so cool. I wish I was like that".

I think that trying to make Bond less objectionable has ruined the character, which is why I think the franchise has run its course.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I think maybe someone TODAY referencing Bond’s “objectionable” bits are more referencing things like overt racism and homophobia. The last time I went through the Bond novels, I remember Goldfinger in particular has some really effed up stuff in it. And even when it comes to the movies, Bond telling Quarrel to fetch his shoes leaves a bad taste.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Is it really an offense or racist to ask for the character to remain white? I feel like I'll be dumped on for saying it out loud, but I don't think it's any more out of line than it is to object to whitewashing characters of color (the "Doctor Strange" Ancient One is a perfect example much as I enjoyed Tilda Swinton). It's gotten to a point where it's almost bad for a hero to be a white male. I get that it will probably just be all appearance, because it's not like they really go into Bond's family and upbringing, so who cares in the end. But I feel like it's okay to object to whitewashing but racist to do it the other way.
For me, it really depends on the actor. I don't necessarily have a problem with Bond in a contemporary setting being played by someone who isn't white. For instance, to mention a couple of names that have been kicked around recently, I'd much rather see Idris Elba take on the role than Tom Hardy, personally. A bridge too far for me would be making him a woman - then it's just no longer the same character.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I think maybe someone TODAY referencing Bond’s “objectionable” bits are more referencing things like overt racism and homophobia. The last time I went through the Bond novels, I remember Goldfinger in particular has some really effed up stuff in it. And even when it comes to the movies, Bond telling Quarrel to fetch his shoes leaves a bad taste.
Yeah that's what I meant, exactly. Bond can be a cold anti-hero with a "cavalier outlook on life" and people, but the casual racism and the homophobia should be left in the 50's. Even the Wint and Kidd stuff in DAF hasn't aged all that well.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Maybe in the next movie they can explore the Bond Multiverse, where each universe has a James Bond of a different ethnicity, gender, and sexual orientation. Then they can create CG versions of Sean Connery and Roger Moore, and have George Lazenby, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig make surprise cameos! That way it's a movie everyone can enjoy.

You know, because the world needs more Multiverse movies.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Maybe in the next movie they can explore the Bond Multiverse, where each universe has a James Bond of a different ethnicity, gender, and sexual orientation. Then they can create CG versions of Sean Connery and Roger Moore, and have George Lazenby, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig make surprise cameos! That way it's a movie everyone can enjoy.

You know, because the world needs more Multiverse movies.
Sssshh now, don't give them any ideas ...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, he's handsome, young, and British, if those are the main criteria this time around. I'm willing to give him a chance.

1710878854229.png

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Typically I believe the director has been named first before casting is done.

I’m sure the Sun is 100% accurate though…

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think Eon gets to pick who they want, in whatever order they want. They don't seem willing to give up much control. Most likely why they have a hard time getting marquee directors to take the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks