What's new

Which studio/company do you want to co-finance and distribute Bond 25?

• Warner Bros.

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Sony Pictures

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • 20th Century Fox

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Universal Pictures

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Annapurna Pictures

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Apple

• Amazon

• Total voters

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I can't see it being 3 hours long, but 2 1/2 certainly seems possible. I find most blockbusters these days to be needlessly bloated. It's rare that I don't leave the theatre thinking a movie would have been a lot better with 15-20 minutes cut out of it.
I generally agree, but admit I see exceptions here and there. Skyfall and Spectre were both worth their runtime in my view, as well as a few of the longer Marvel movies (not all of them, though).

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Modern day Zimmer holds very little interest for me and for the first time in a long time I have zero excitement for a Bond score. I just don't like his current style of action writing, it's more noise/sound effects than music IMO. One things for sure, the Zimmer fanboys will declare it the best score ever composed, just like they do for every new score he writes.

I don't dislike all Zimmer, "Interstellar" is my favorite modern day, post "Gladiator" Zimmer score. I don't think he'll ever top "The Lion King (1994)" and "The Prince of Egypt", which are my favorite Zimmer scores, followed closely by "Days of Thunder" and "Crimson Tide".

I actually like a lot of the cues/themes from the first and third Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and generally liked the soundtracks for those overall. But the rest of his (or his factory's) material does seem interchangeable with any movie his scores.

Wouldn't want to see a Bond score fall into that interchangeable category.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As a related side discussion, CNBC reports that "MGM has had preliminary talks with Apple, Netflix and other larger media companies about an acquisition as the biggest streaming companies consider strengthening their content libraries."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/24/mgm-leads-2020-media-acquisition-targets.html

If this comes to pass, it would obviously have a huge impact on the future of James Bond beyond Craig's tenure.

The discussion including Netflix, in particular, freaks me out a bit. I would hate for the next James Bond film to become a streaming exclusive without a major traditional theatrical release for a big movie like that.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The discussion including Netflix, in particular, freaks me out a bit. I would hate for the next James Bond film to become a streaming exclusive without a major traditional theatrical release for a big movie like that.
It would be an interesting test of theaters, too. Are they willing to stick to their "90-day release window" when it comes to a James Bond film?

Most of the films for which theaters have refused screenings have largely been smaller dramas and niche films. What happens when Netflix controls one of the bigger theatrical franchises? Will theaters refuse, say, a 30-day window for a new Bond film?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What happens when Netflix controls one of the bigger theatrical franchises? Will theaters refuse, say, a 30-day window for a new Bond film?

I think the problem there is that if they were to allow the window to shrink for a Bond film because it's a Bond film, then other studios would try to shrink the window for their biggest titles. I'm not sure they could afford to make that exception. For the theaters, refusing to screen isn't really about what the title is, but their belief that shrinking the window is detrimental to their business model.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I hope Apple is the company that buys MGM.

I think it’s going to be a Good time for them to sell. Bond will be at an all time high perhaps?

on the run time we will know soon enough. 2 Russian distributors from different cities are reporting the close to 3 hour run time. If the unconfirmed rumor is true at least Daniel is giving us 2 bond films in one on his way out....

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
I look forward to seeing every Bond movie, but one of the best is still for me, On Her Majesty's Secret Service (and I am biased as I spent nine months of my life working on it, one of my favourite jobs). On Her Majesty's Secret Service, in spite of tosser George Lazenby playing Bond, whose performance was saved in the edit, thanks to director Peter Hunt who had edited all the Bond movies up to then. Lazenby was also really lucky in that he had Diana Rigg as his co star. The film was faithful to the novel, unlike most of the series, had some terrific stunt work, a great car chase, and two wonderful villains in Telly Savalas as Blofeld and Ilse Steppet as Irma Blunt.
Funny how Lazenby still denies how much of an asshole he was thinking himself a huge star even before the movie came out and arrogantly behaving like it from day one.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I look forward to seeing every Bond movie, but one of the best is still for me, On Her Majesty's Secret Service (and I am biased as I spent nine months of my life working on it, one of my favourite jobs). On Her Majesty's Secret Service, in spite of tosser George Lazenby playing Bond, whose performance was saved in the edit, thanks to director Peter Hunt who had edited all the Bond movies up to then. L.

That sums up my feelings about Lazenby and OHMSS. There are some who say Lazenby was great and "the best Bond". I agree that his performance was saved in the editing and post-dubbing. I think he could have grown in the role, because I have seen him in things since, and he was pretty good. But he was not quite ready at the time. If he had stuck with 007, he would have become a household name. OHMSS is still one of my favorite of the films.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I thought Lazenby was perfectly fine. Not the best by any means, but he was worthy of the role. But yeah, it’s always sounded like he was the biggest diva in the universe. I think I’ve seen interviews from more recent decades where he admits to being a jerk. There’s one interview, I think from the 2012 documentary “Everything or Nothing” I think was called, where he laments how after he left the Bond role he “wasn’t getting laid anymore.” :rolling-smiley:

Atari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward
I look forward to seeing every Bond movie, but one of the best is still for me, On Her Majesty's Secret Service (and I am biased as I spent nine months of my life working on it, one of my favourite jobs). On Her Majesty's Secret Service, in spite of tosser George Lazenby playing Bond, whose performance was saved in the edit, thanks to director Peter Hunt who had edited all the Bond movies up to then. Lazenby was also really lucky in that he had Diana Rigg as his co star. The film was faithful to the novel, unlike most of the series, had some terrific stunt work, a great car chase, and two wonderful villains in Telly Savalas as Blofeld and Ilse Steppet as Irma Blunt.
Funny how Lazenby still denies how much of an asshole he was thinking himself a huge star even before the movie came out and arrogantly behaving like it from day one.

Thanks for your work on this! This has always been my favorite bond movie. Although Lazenby may have been difficult, I'm not sure it would have the same heart and soul if Connery had been in this one. Several of my favorite films have been saved in editing, Star Wars comes to mind.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I look forward to seeing every Bond movie, but one of the best is still for me, On Her Majesty's Secret Service (and I am biased as I spent nine months of my life working on it, one of my favourite jobs).

Thanks for your work on this! This has always been my favorite bond movie. Although Lazenby may have been difficult, I'm not sure it would have the same heart and soul if Connery had been in this one. Several of my favorite films have been saved in editing, Star Wars comes to mind.

Yes, thank you to Paul Bale (nice to have you here!) and everyone else who worked on On Her Majesty's Secret Service, which is far and away my favorite Bond film...and I think just a fine, well-made film all around. I've no doubt that Lazenby was a dick on set, sadly, and very short-sighted in turning down the contract EON offered him for further 007 films. Despite all the behind-the-scenes turmoil, I think he makes for a fine Bond and brings a very credible physicality to the action scenes, and a vulnerability to his tragic romance with Tracy. (Diana Rigg).

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That he only did the one kinda lends a certain timeless charm to the film and his performance.

Because I had seen Connery, Moore, Brosnan et al in different roles before I saw them as Bond, I know deep down it’s an actor playing a part. I guess I never really forget that with anyone, but Lazenby carries no other baggage for me, so he’s just Bond.

And the movie sorta exists within the Connery continuity only not entirely, which gives the character the feeling of history without having to perfectly match some of the sillier things that came before it. It manages to carry the legacy of the franchise without being weighed down by it.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
For someone who had never really acted before, Lazenby isn't bad, though there are definitely moments here and there where his inexperience clearly shows. I think it's just as well that only did the one. Had Connery not returned and then been replaced by Moore, I don't think the series would have survived beyond the mid-70s.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
As a related side discussion, CNBC reports that "MGM has had preliminary talks with Apple, Netflix and other larger media companies about an acquisition as the biggest streaming companies consider strengthening their content libraries."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/24/mgm-leads-2020-media-acquisition-targets.html

If this comes to pass, it would obviously have a huge impact on the future of James Bond beyond Craig's tenure.

If MGM gets sold, I hope it is to a studio that already supports Movies Anywhere so that those movies would finally sync to all my connected platforms. MGM, Lionsgate and Paramount are the biggest hold outs from Movies Anywhere.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
If MGM gets sold, I hope it is to a studio that already supports Movies Anywhere so that those movies would finally sync to all my connected platforms. MGM, Lionsgate and Paramount are the biggest hold outs from Movies Anywhere.

I’m curious about the sale.
Mgms agreement for home video with fox ended in June.
Will we get the older films in UHd Blu Ray in July I wonder....

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would guess no. If work was being done, we probably would have heard about it. They’d need to be in the pipeline for development now. And I’m skeptical that Fox (now Disney) would be in a position to work on releases without a deal in place. I’m further skeptical that with Fox’s home video department having been absorbed by Disney that Disney is going to be interested in a new deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks