What's new

Blue Thunder SE (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

NERD!;) Just kidding, just goes to show how lame I am in this argument, need I remind you, BT can DO A LOOP!!!:D

DannyS

Second Unit
this isn't april 1st is it?

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

I won the score on vynil, cd, japanese programmes, posters.. MAN!

Best news all year!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

See what happens when you raise the bar so high!;)

No, I couldn't imagine a 3-disc BT, but it would be hillarious to have on the shelf.

But kidding aside, I know you, Charlie, can't divulge any details as to what we can expect, what I'm wondering about is, how did this come to be? Your name is attached to many high profile DVD releases, as well as high profile movies. Blue Thunder is what it is, but it is hardly a hugely popular film that has people clammering for an SE. Most of the people here are mostly shocked (and delighted)that it is coming. I'm wondering how your involvment came to be, and the origin of the project. Usually we get revamped DVD's when a remake or sequal is in preperation, or if the current release is problematic, and AFAIK, no such thing is happening with BT.

Time permitting, I'd love to know the behind the scenes story of this DVD classic in the making! And don't get me wrong, I'm pleased as punch to hear that this is coming out!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
A few quick notes:

The Starlog issue that discussed Blue Thunder was from the spring of 1983, I believe March or April - it also included material on the upcoming release of Return of the Jedi and the miniseries V. The Blue Thunder article was really an interview with Dan O'Bannon, who was irate over how his script had been rewritten on his latest movie. (If you ask O'Bannon, ANY rewrites of his work will make him irate) His description of the genesis of Blue Thunder was that he was staying on Ron Shusett's couch and kept getting woken up by police helicopters every night buzzing the neighborhood. His script was about the concept that police don't care about what they do to the innocent bystander; they just care about catching their target, period. His concept of the plot was that Murphy was indeed deteriorating, and you wind up with a psycho cop operating a military weapon in a civilian environment - almost the same concept as the original book of First Blood. (The war comes home, etc) He said that his concept of the helicopter was a fast black wasp, deadly and efficient, but that the producers wanted to hang as much stuff on the chopper as they could, which made the whole thing look ridiculous.

Also, O'Bannon didn't work with Jakoby. O'Bannon says in the interview that after he slavishly and obediently made all the changes the producers demanded, they then brought in Jakoby to move the commas around. O'Bannon then makes a bunch of nasty comments about John Badham, saying that Badham didn't understand dialogue, and that he would tell the actors to just improvise their dialogue and put profanity in it. O'Bannon's reaction to the completed film was obviously not positive - he was flabbergasted at how his concept got turned into Good Cop vs. Bad FBI, as well as how Candy Clark is suddenly able to stunt drive her way across LA at high speeds.

I'd be very interested in listening to an O'Bannon commentary for the film, but I'm willing to bet that he wouldn't do one. He was really unhappy with how it came out.

Also, a previous poster was asking about Airwolf - I believe there is already at least 1 season of it out on DVD. I have never watched that show, simply because I saw it as a TV version of the movie and because I'm not really a fan of Jan Michael Vincent.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I knew Dan had said something along those lines......nice to know that I can remember something I read from over two decades ago but I can't remember close friend's birthdays!:b

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
According to Davis DVD (January 23), the Special Edition is finally due out April 4:

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html

Not much in the way of extras, no mention of the trailer found on the current release, it's a newly anamorphic transfer (it'd better be really good since the current one is anamorphic and decent) and retail is $20.

According to DVD Active, it's a 35 minute documentary and they do not mention a trailer either. But I won't base my decision solely on a trailer.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...e-thunder.html
-

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
The thing that bothered me about the original release it was a 2.0 Dolby Surround mix when the film had 70MM 4.1 discrete theatrical release. A 5.1 mix would have been cake.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The R2 Blue Thunder is in 5.1. Great film, an action favorite of mine. Looking forward to the Special Edition. I remember seeing Blue Thunder at a West End cinema back in 1983 and when it finished walked over to another cinema and saw WarGames, both films directed by John Badham. :)

Talking of Candy Clark whizzing thru LA at high speed, there was a scene on the European theatrical and video versions where she drives into a side street and somehow manages to flip her car on two wheels and over a parked car to evade cops speeding towards her. That scene is no longer there on the R2 or R1 dvds I own, but it's on my old video copy and I think it's still on the trailer, why this was cut I don't know, was it too absurd? Too silly? Too Bondish? Kids might try and copy it? :D Anyway, I liked it and hope it makes it to the special edition but I'm not holding my breath.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I just watched BT about 6 months ago on the current DVD. It still held up pretty good for me.

I would have hoped for more extra's on this SE, but maybe we will hear about more.

My friends have a blank stare when I bring that movie up. I have been trying to find a copy on VHS for under $5 w/shipping cause I HAVE to see it again.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I have been waiting for this edition for a long time.. I bought the regular one when it came out..... It is about darn time!!!

Can't wait, hopefully the base and sound is pumped up during the dog fight sequence... "Catch yeah later"

R~

Med

Stunt Coordinator
I may finally pick this one up. I've thought about getting the R2 disc for a while but just haven't got round to it, so I may as well wait for this new edition.

Slightly OT, but while on the subject of Badham, I hope if his version of Dracula ever gets a release in the UK it will offer two versions of the film - the full colour print which looked wonderful when I originally saw it on the cinema, as well as Badham's preferred subdued, almost B/W version.

Actually, just the full colour print will do fine - Badham's idea of pulling most of the colour out of it doesn't work at all in my view. Just a really bad compromise from his original wishes.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
The new cover has Candy on the cover instead of Daniel Stern so she must rate higher for being a bad-ass driver rather than Stern being a bad-ass flyer.

;)

The Digital Bits also says theatrical trailers will be included am I'm assuming it's for BT and not just for other movies. It also reports a 3-part 45 minute documentary (instead of 35 minutes).
-

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Any ideas what extras there would be to look forward to?

I have a firm policy: No double dipping UNLESS the new version actually kicks the old version's ass.

Of course, my wallet has a pretty firm policy that influences a lot of my movie buying decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks